My Favorite Glenn Close Performances

Tools    

A powerhouse actress whose onscreen power is only exceeded by her versatility. She actually began her career on Broadway and has actually found time to return there on occasion after her movie career took off. She actually received an Oscar nomination for her film debut in 1982 and has been working non-stop ever since. In addition to six other Oscar nominations, she has also earned three Golden Globes and three Emmys. She has spent many an award season being overlooked for her work and joins the ranks of Deborah Kerr and Thelma Ritter as the only actresses who received seven Oscar nominations and never won the award. But she is an actress who has never really been about awards, it has always been about the work with her and her resume is proof of that..and now, here is my list of favorite performances by the incredible Glenn Close.

I see they're in pre-production for a remake of Sunset Boulevard. She's starring as Norma Desmond, which is pretty damn gutsy. Not for her, but for the decision to remake such a flawless classic.

I wonder if next they'll remake Vertigo?...

I did like Close a lot in Fatal Attraction.

Jan/Maxie, Maxie

Close really seemed to be enjoying herself in this forgotten 1985 comedy about a timid housewife who finds herself being possessed by the soul of an outrageous 1920's flapper. Close's performance was the only really memorable element of this film.

First Lady Marsha Dale, Mars Attacks

Close was a standout in this all-star cast Tim Burton spoof playing a fictional first lady who has a very different reaction from her husband (Jack Nicholson) when she learns that the earth is being invaded by aliens.

Helen, Father Figures

Close actually brought a touch of class to the proceedings playing the mother of grown sons (Owen Wilson, Ed Helms) who sends them n a wild goose chase when they corner her about who their real father is.

I see they're in pre-production for a remake of Sunset Boulevard. She's starring as Norma Desmond, which is pretty gutsy.
She’s already played Norma Desmond twice in the Broadway musical. In 1994 & 2017.

Nellie Forbush, South Pacific (2001)

Technically, she was a little too old for the part, but Close worked very hard to be credible as the young navy nurse who finds romance with a wealthy plantation owner named Emile De Beque (Rade Serbedzija) during WWII

Fanny Leiber, Will and Grace

Close had me on the floor in this guest shot on the NBC sitcom playing a fresh-out-rehab celebrity photographer who does a photo session with Will and Grace that they won in a contest and gets a little too familiar with both of them.

Claire Wellington, The Stepford Wives (2004)

Close's performance was one of the few things that worked in this 2004 remake of the 1975 classic. Close played the way-too-cheery welcome wagon lady who along with her husband (Christopher Walken) attempts to make Joanna (Nicole Kidman) and Bobbie (Bette Midler) fit in the ways of the wives of Stepford.

Vice President Kathryn Bennett, Air Force One

Close made the most of a thankless role as the Vice President who has to step up when she learns that the President (Harrison Ford) and his family are being held hostage by terrorists on Air Force One.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Nellie Forbush, South Pacific (2001)

Technically, she was a little too old for the part, but Close worked very hard to be credible as the young navy nurse who finds romance with a wealthy plantation owner named Emile De Beque (Rade Serbedzija) during WWII

I like Glenn Close, but the 2001 version of South Pacific is my least favorite version.

I like Glenn Close, but the 2001 version of South Pacific is my least favorite version.

Honestly, I have never liked South Pacific, I only watched it because Glenn Close was playing Nellie

Gail Bennett, Something About Amelia

Close was excellent in a complex role in this 1984 TV movie playing a woman who learns that her husband (Ted Danson) has been sexually abusing her daughter (Roxanna Zal).

Camille Dixon, Cookie's Fortune

Close was a lot of fun as a contemporary Elvira Gulch who learns of her Aunt's suicide and tries to make it look like the woman died during a burglary.

Mrs. Johnson, The Chumscrubber

Close was funny as hell in this bizarre black comedy playing the slightly crazy mother of a teenage drug dealer who commits suicide whose insane guilt about it manifests itself in a very bizarre way.

Janet, In the Gloaming

Close was luminous in this 1997 TV-movie playing a woman whose close relationship with her son (Robert Sean Leonard) becomes even closer when she learns he is dying from AIDS.