The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by Honeykid:
The only one I'm not 100% about is Cheyenne Autumn which basically made my list because my granddad thought so well of it.
Honeykid, you reminded me of a Western that was my granddad's favorite movie of all time, Jesse James (1939), directed by Henry King and starring Tyrone Power, Henry Fonda, Randolph Scott, John Carradine, and a scene-stealing Henry Hull. It doesn't try to be true to the real history of what went on but it's still an enormously entertaining movie, so popular at the time in fact, that it inspired a sequel (just as history-skewing) called The Return of Frank James (1940) the next year. Jesse James unfortunately became notorious in later years when it was learned that a scene where Jesse and Frank, trying to escape a posse, ride their horses off a cliff into a river. It was controversial because the two horses in the scene actually were killed while doing this stunt. Back then, there were not the restrictions and oversights that movies have now concerning the safety of animals. In fact, I believe that this was the very movie that inspired the forming of the American Human Society's Film and TV division to protect animals.

It's all a shame because as I've said, Jesse James is a very worthy film in any Western list and I wished I'd thought of it before this one started. Recommended very much but steel yourself for the "over-the-cliff" scene going in, knowing the fate of the horses.

One again, @Holden Pike, a truly great job!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I've seen 81% of this list. I think that might be the highest for me of any of these countdowns, (at least at the time that the countdown was done).
VERY IMPRESSIVE!!
BRAVO my dear! BRAVO!!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Originally Posted by Honeykid:

Honeykid, you reminded me of a Western that was my granddad's favorite movie of all time, Jesse James (1939), directed by Henry King and starring Tyrone Power, Henry Fonda, Randolph Scott, John Carradine, and a scene-stealing Henry Hull. It doesn't try to be true to the real history of what when on but it's still an enormously entertaining movie, so popular at the time in fact, that it inspired a sequel (just as history-skewing) called The Return of Frank James (1940) the next year. Jesse James unfortunately became notorious in later years when it was learned that a scene where Jesse and Frank, trying to escape a posse, ride their horses off a cliff into a river. It was controversial because the two horses in the scene actually were killed while doing this stunt. Back then, there were not the restrictions and oversights that movies have now concerning the safety of animals. In fact, I believe that this was the very movie that inspired the forming of the American Human Society's Film and TV division to protect animals.

It's all a shame because as I've said, Jesse James is a very worthy film in any Western list and I wished I'd thought of it before this one started. Recommended very much but steel yourself for the "over-the-cliff" scene going in, knowing the fate of the horses.

One again, @Holden Pike, a truly great job!
Jesse James Is an entertaining film even with the cliff scene. Was a consideration for my List but there was too huge a waiting list that could have easily gone upwards of 50 or more.
Haven't seen Return of Frank James, would very much like to at some point.

I just watched Jesse James (1939) a week ago. A very early technicolor film and the print I watched was fully restored and looked amazing. It looked like the film was made just yesterday! Really amazing to see all these early actors in a restored, full color film from the 30s. The horse riding scene of the cliff was 'spectacular', but learning right now as I did that the horses were killed is sad. That scene most have been the inspiration for the cliff jumping scene in Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid.

I also watched The Return of Frank James (1940) two weeks ago. Oddly I watched the sequel before the original. This one was shot in full color as well and I must say it had the more compelling and focused story. It also had a very young Gene Tierney in her first movie role. Most all of the same cast return from Jesse James, except of course Jesse James, who was shot in the back in the first film.

Both of these are well worth watching!

Hi

I Just watched the iron sheriff and the sheepman. I love those old western

because you know western maybe you can help me to find this one. See movies questions: color western movie hero related to a blue star.

It's hard to say which western movie i prefer but a guess i'll choose: once upon a time in the west.

Thanks

We are still planning on doing a general countdown next?

Welcome to the human race...
I think we still have to do a proper 2000s countdown and a 2010s countdown as well. Whether we stick to the established decade-genre-decade pattern or switch it up to decade-decade-genre in order to build up to the general countdown remains to be seen.

Hi

I Just watched the iron sheriff and the sheepman. I love those old western

because you know western maybe you can help me to find this one. See movies questions: color western movie hero related to a blue star.

It's hard to say which western movie i prefer but a guess i'll choose: once upon a time in the west.

Thanks

The Sheepman (1958) is a fine Western, starring Glenn Ford, Shirley MacLaine, Leslie Nielsen, and an outstanding cast of Western character actors like Edgar Buchanan. But I thought the interplay between "Sheepman" Ford and the town bully played by Mickey Shaughnessy, was hilarious. It's not a comedy per se but a straight Western with lots of funny stuff in it. I really like this one, so thanks @moviesmaniac for mentioning it!

Another fine Western from 1958 that Ford did was Cowboy with Jack Lemmon co-starring. It's much more serious a movie than The Sheepman but there are bits of humor here and there. Lemmon plays a greenhorn city hotel clerk who wants more out of life and joins a cattle drive led by boss Ford. Lemmon learns that things aren't so easy in this way of life he's dreamed about but toughens up in the bargain. A really good one. Ford made more than his share of Westerns and some are really worth checking out.

One more I'll mention is The Rounders (1965), which is one of those "modern-day Westerns" that I've mentioned that I prefer the "set-in-the-Old-West" type of Western more than the former. But this movie is really great and Henry Fonda and Glenn Ford are two cowboys who bust broncos for a sly rancher (played by Chill Wills), gamble on a particular horse, risking their whole wad of cash, and romance two local sisters. It's just a breeze of a movie, and Fonda in particular is the joy of the movie playing it real easy-going. All three of these are recommended and I plum forget them during this countdown!

Hi
Thanks again for that 100 title i have seen most of them but gaveme good idea what to see next.
I'm verry surprised El topo is in this list, alejandro jodorowsky was so ahead of his time, i discover him just 5 or 6 years ago.

I think the man who shot liberty valance is the citizen kane of the western movie. Thruly one of my favorite waye's movie.

Here's few other i like verry much:
How the west was won
Big Jake
Alamo (wayne)
A man called horse
Last train from gun hill
Ace high
Tombstone
Silverado
Quigley down under
Shalako
Valdez

Any comments about those movies
Thanks

@moviesmaniac

How the West was Won...Historical important as it's only 1 of 2 films ever made in the Cinerama process. A good story too.
Big Jake...I've seen a lot of John Wayne films and thought it was one of the worst he made, it's just Wayne and the boys horsin' around.
Alamo (wayne)...The only film Wayne ever directed, it's grand, it's big and it's pretty cool!
A Man Called Horse...Haven't seen it. Been meaning to watch it.
Last Train From Gun Hill...Seemed formulaic and I wasn't a fan of it.
Ace High...Not seen it.
Tombstone...One helluva fun characterization by Val Kilmer. Fun movie.
Silverado...Solid, I enjoyed it.
Quigley Down Under...Been a long time but I remember it being a good film. I liked his long rage rifle. I think it was a Sharps.
Shalako...Haven't heard of it, is it foreign?
Valdez...Haven't seen it either.

@moviesmaniac

How the West was Won...Historical important as it's only 1 of 2 films ever made in the Cinerama process. A good story too.
Big Jake...I've seen a lot of John Wayne films and thought it was one of the worst he made, it's just Wayne and the boys horsin' around.
Alamo (wayne)...The only film Wayne ever directed, it's grand, it's big and it's pretty cool!
A Man Called Horse...Haven't seen it. Been meaning to watch it.
Last Train From Gun Hill...Seemed formulaic and I wasn't a fan of it.
Ace High...Not seen it.
Tombstone...One helluva fun characterization by Val Kilmer. Fun movie.
Silverado...Solid, I enjoyed it.
Quigley Down Under...Been a long time but I remember it being a good film. I liked his long rage rifle. I think it was a Sharps.
Shalako...Haven't heard of it, is it foreign?
Valdez...Haven't seen it either.
Do you know which was the other one in cinerama process??

Do you know which was the other one in cinerama process??
I do, it's The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (1962)

This is How The West Was Won being shown on a Cinerama screen. There's not many Cinerama screens left in the world.

I do, it's The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (1962)

This is How The West Was Won being shown on a Cinerama screen. There's not many Cinerama screens left in the world.

OMG... Cinema should be like this again... Maybe it will look good on a curve tv... Lol.
I forgot Far and away with tom cruise it was also god
Thanks for the info

Because we also need to have little fun there's a list of western comedy some of them are realy funny. Any comments or suggestion.
In no particular order just tje way they came in my mind.

Of course bud spencer and terence hill western movie including Lucky Luke
Blazing Saddles
Blind Justice (found it funny)
Going south
Rustlers Rhapsody
Cactus Jack
Paint your wagon
Wagons east
Almost heroes
Ridiculus 6
3 amigos
Comin' at ya
Skin game
Gunless
Adios amigos
A million ways to die in the west
McLintock
Shanghai Noon
Shakiest gun in the weast (and probably few other don knotts movies)
City slickers
Bandidas
Maverick and probably all western movie whit James Garder
Sam Whiskey.
So which ones do you like or i forgot
To me when i was younger i watched blind justice so many time, but terence hill will always be the best and 3 amigos also.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Because we also need to have little fun there's a list of western comedy some of them are realy funny. Any comments or suggestion.
In no particular order just tje way they came in my mind.

Of course bud spencer and terence hill western movie including Lucky Luke
Blazing Saddles
Blind Justice (found it funny)
Going south
Rustlers Rhapsody
Cactus Jack
Paint your wagon
Wagons east
Almost heroes
Ridiculus 6
3 amigos
Comin' at ya
Skin game
Gunless
Adios amigos
A million ways to die in the west
McLintock
Shanghai Noon
Shakiest gun in the weast (and probably few other don knotts movies)
City slickers
Bandidas
Maverick and probably all western movie whit James Garder
Sam Whiskey.
So which ones do you like or i forgot
To me when i was younger i watched blind justice so many time, but terence hill will always be the best and 3 amigos also.

I haven't seen a lot of these, but I like Rustlers' Rhapsody, City Slickers, and Maverick. Blazing Saddles is good, but I don't love it as much as most people do.

A couple of my favorite western comedies that you left off your list are The Frisco Kid (1979) and Zorro: The Gay Blade (1981).

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Quigley down under

Any comments about those movies
Thanks
Quigley Down Under was my #4. I watched it for Alan Rickman and because I was interested in non-US westerns. Rickman is a brilliant villain, as always, but it was also a really enjoyable movie in a very 90s way that appealed to me.

Anyone else have it on their list?

I haven't seen a lot of these, but I like Rustlers' Rhapsody, City Slickers, and Maverick. Blazing Saddles is good, but I don't love it as much as most people do.

A couple of my favorite western comedies that you left off your list are The Frisco Kid (1979) and Zorro: The Gay Blade (1981).
How could i forgot frisco kid Gene Wilder is one of my favorite along with Richard Pryer his even better.
There's also Go West both Buster Keaton and Marx Bros. Version Are great to whom like "burlesque" genre. I always love to see very old western movie because they are so close to that time. Actualy Buster Keaton father probably saw those story with his own eyes.

I never saw Zorro the gay Blade, i'll try to found it.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
We have a Cinerama in Seattle, but it's been closed since February, maybe permanently.

Seattle’s Cinerama closing for renovations; many on staff laid off