Fallout series coming to Amazon

Tools    

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/fal...on-1234696997/

"Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy have set their sights on creating another expansive sci-fi series.

The “Westworld” duo are developing a show at Amazon based on the “Fallout” video game franchise. Their Kilter Films banner is producing the project which has a series commitment penalty attached, meaning it would go directly to series if Amazon execs are on board with the scripts.

The “Fallout” series, which began in 1997 with the original game, is set in a world where the future envisioned by Americans in the late 1940s explodes upon itself through a nuclear war in 2077. With their Amazon project, Nolan and Joy will look to bring “the harshness of the wasteland set against the previous generation’s utopian idea of a better world through nuclear energy,” to the small screen. The project will look to retain the games’ “harsh tone,” which making sure it is still “sprinkled with moments of ironic humor and B-movie-nuclear-fantasies” which players of the epic franchise know and love.

The series hails from Amazon Studios and Kilter Films in association with the games’ producers Bethesda Game Studios and Bethesda Softworks. Nolan and Lisa Joy, who signed a blockbuster overall deal with Amazon last year, will exec produce alongside Athena Wickham for Kilter Films, with Todd Howard as an EP for Bethesda Game Studios, and James Altman for Bethesda Softworks. Lionsgate is also executive producing the series."

Welcome to the human race...
I'm definitely skeptical about the whole thing. Unlike most videogames that get adapted into films or shows, Fallout is a role-playing game above all else where the player creates a protagonist from scratch and the narrative tends to be a simple one involving the protagonist searching for a MacGuffin (albeit one that's usually padded out with all kinds of sub-plots and side-quests). Bethesda's entries have tried to add extra dimension to the protagonists and their narratives with varying levels of success (and in doing so have drawn considerable criticism for misunderstanding what made the early Fallout games so beloved in the first place) and it's definitely a point of concern that those mistakes may get repeated in a series (especially if it's going to turn out like Westworld as well).

Hopefully they actually do stick to the general vibe of the games. As for the story, what I think could really work is if each season it's a different character from a different vault. That way it keeps the show fresh and we get to experience the world of Fallout in a variety of ways. Basically what I'm saying is I want vaults! They don't all have to be from a vault, but I want vaults.

"A Fallout TV show co-created by Jonathan Nolan" sounds like something an algorithm would spit out if you fed it my interests. It could only be improved by "a coupon for free Arby's curly fries with each episode."

As for whether it translates to TV: I agree, in a very literal sense, not so much, given the RPG elements. The big thing pointing in the other direction (in the direction of it working) is that Fallout has a very clear vibe. There are a lot of things that feel like the kind of thing Fallout would do, so I think it'll be very easy to create something which "feels" like it lives in that universe atmospherically and thematically.

Anyway, I'm in, will definitely give it a chance and probably be pretty excited to see it by the time it's ready to be seen.