Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

→ in
Tools    

Harry was one of Voldemorts Horcruxes (that's a horrible word to spell), and like the others he had to be destroyed.

Of course, having possession of the resurrection stone means that he doesn't stay dead, so really he was in no danger.
Yeah... i got that. Just didn't realise that thing was the Third Deathly Hallow.

As much as you can try and condescend our opinions for having not read the books, the same can be equally applied to those who have read. It gives your opinions bias from the fact you gleaned a lot more background and details from books thus plot twists and events aren't new or surprising or needing to be processed on the same level.

I did read the book and even I can see that the introduction of the resurrection stone was poorly done and if you missed Harry's quick whisper naming the object you wouldn't have known it for what it was. It doesn't help that there was actually very little information given about the Deathly Hallows throughout the two movies, I can't remember but do they ever mention that Harry's cloak of Invisibility is a Deathly Hallow as well, or do they just skip over that? Or give it only a passing mention?

Those of us who read the book know the reason for certain things, and we ignore the fact that the movies don't provide that reason, whereas those who have never read the book actually DO notice the missing information. So when people who didn't read the book show confusion over something in the movie, this actually tells us what's wrong with the movie. So it's a good idea to listen.

Really good movie.. I think this movie will win Oscar this year...

As much as you can try and condescend our opinions for having not read the books, the same can be equally applied to those who have read. It gives your opinions bias from the fact you gleaned a lot more background and details from books thus plot twists and events aren't new or surprising or needing to be processed on the same level.
Yeah, I get what you're saying but couldn't I use the same logic against you? You're a film school student who is picking apart a movie that is essentially just a make believe tale about good and evil. And you having the knowledge that you do have about how a film is made would lead me to think that you'd understand how hard it is to really get a book onscreen and for it to really follow the whole story.

I saw that you said you were planning to re-watch. Definitely do and watch the first part first. This isn't two films. Obviously they needed to make their boatload of cash on this deal but they are not separate films. I watched the first part right before this one and the transition is seamless.

And I will go ahead and say it. If you haven't read the books then how can you conceivably complain about the ending? That's the way the story ends. And its a very nice ending to a rather sad tale, really. I do agree, actually, that the movie ending may be better than the book, actually because the ending in the book was rather short I thought.

But whatever, I'm kind of a reformed Harry Hater so maybe I am biased.

There is no such thing as a fully self-contained work. Every work of art derives its significance from a rich context, a hermeneutic circle or world of meaning no matter what the work is. In some sense, we have it much easier with fictions like Harry Potter, since much of that context is explicitly invented and clearly enumerated for the books whereas the context for things like, say, comedies is deeply cultural/historical and require that you somehow always be familiar with the leading zeitgeist.

If you are a person unfamiliar with recent developments in pop culture, do not complain that SNL is unfunny.

If you have not read the books upon which the films have specifically parasitized in order to exploit the profit potentials of its popularity in the cinematic market, do not complain that the films are too elliptical.

Yeah, I get what you're saying but couldn't I use the same logic against you? You're a film school student who is picking apart a movie that is essentially just a make believe tale about good and evil. And you having the knowledge that you do have about how a film is made would lead me to think that you'd understand how hard it is to really get a book onscreen and for it to really follow the whole story.

I saw that you said you were planning to re-watch. Definitely do and watch the first part first. This isn't two films. Obviously they needed to make their boatload of cash on this deal but they are not separate films. I watched the first part right before this one and the transition is seamless.

And I will go ahead and say it. If you haven't read the books then how can you conceivably complain about the ending? That's the way the story ends. And its a very nice ending to a rather sad tale, really. I do agree, actually, that the movie ending may be better than the book, actually because the ending in the book was rather short I thought.

But whatever, I'm kind of a reformed Harry Hater so maybe I am biased.
I'm not picking apart the content, just the delivery and felt having not read the book wasn't a fair rebuttal of my points as readers and non readers are watching it in different contexts. I'm not sure what relation studying film has to the criticisms of weaknesses in the script that can't be remedied by suspending disbelief? Though I do see why people are miffed over the Elder Wand snapping, they don't labour any point about it being a corruptive or evil object as the One Ring was. I get the principle behind Harry's actions but generally it wasn't given much pretext beyond common sense.

Don't think I complained about the ending as much as Draco's having pretty ineffective conclusion to his story, the repetition of the family feud with the kids was a bit cheesy but I did like the fact they tied it up relatively succinctly, as opposed to a certain other franchise.

I meant to watch Part 1 before watching it but saw it on a whim, I didn't not enjoy just thought it didn't live up to the high expectations.

And I don't mean to pile on you or anything, I actually watched all seven films before this last one and was genuinely surprised at how well the story comes through in the films. Sure, they leave a ton of stuff out but I guess I missed how their delivery was off. If you've never read a line in a Harry Potter book you can go watch all 8 films right now and have a pretty good feel for the way the books were intended to be. I think. Maybe if you ever do read them you can either agree with me or disagree more.

The Elder Wand thing doesn't need much explanation or pretext, I don't think, but it was given some anyway in the first film, I think...

WARNING: "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" spoilers below
...I'll have to check, but I'm fairly certain that the tale of the Deathly Hallows mentioned that the brother who was given the Elder Wand found himself attacked by people who wanted to obtain it. Which is a pretty straightforward metaphor for any kind of extreme power: you may desire it because you want to protect yourself (or avoid death altogether), but your fear of death and attack makes it all the more likely, because when you have that power, everyone's gunning (wanding?) for you.

Anyway, I wouldn't take issue with the idea that there are things made clear and elegant in the books that are much less so in the films. That's by design. But I think some of thid discussion has gone well beyond that, with people suggesting they basically upend things that both the books AND the films have been building towards for a good long while.

Somewhere out there I'm having a good time.

I thought it was the best film so far of 2011. I don't know it might just be me but if you focus on it as a film and not as an adaptation it tends to be a lot better! haha.

just demonstrated how unnecessary dragging it across two parts was
I agree with this, it's evident that they make easy money on a successful long-time project but... a movie was cool. at least, it was impressive in some moments.
the ending is a real fail. this story got the closed interpretation (nothing special can be found further in a plot). it was like a message: you were kids and magicians, but now you should have a family

What really annoyed me about the whole series, and Deathly Hallows especially, is that it was nothing like the books at all. For the true fans, who have also read the books, such as myself, would all probably very disappointed by all the changes.
One thing that really annoyed me, and as mentioned in a comment above, is that Neville didn't say his brilliant quotes that J.K Rowling wrote in the novel.
It was just very disappointing after reading the books to see an entirely different script in the movie.

Aside from maybe Unbearable Lightness of Being, not a single book adaptation is anything like the book. They're adaptations, in the literal sense that they are not the exact book, but just share the story and characters and half the events.

A system of cells interlinked
Fantastic!

I went to watch this at a friend's place, a friend that was bashing it pretty heavily as soon as we walked in the door. This guy had already seen the film, and he wasn't pulling any punches. He even decided to pass out about 15 minutes into the film, leaving Lisa and I to watch the film.

It was SO good. I was gobsmacked when it ended, as I tried to figure out just exactly why anyone would bash this moving, brilliantly realized finale. It was dark and operatic, and it didn't hammer the viewer into boredom with a 30 minute battle sequence at the end (I'm looking at you Matrix:Revolutions). In this film, they actually tied all the character arcs up (for the most part; Malfoy needed another scene or two), and ended the film with a few scenes that summed up the entire series as a whole.

The Drunk and Happy
This movie was A Toast for me! I loved it!
Verdict: If you’re a Harry Potter fan, then you’ve probably already seen the movie by the time this review comes out. If, however, you’re on the fence about watching it because you can’t (for one reason or another) watch a movie that you think is meant for kids, you need to suck up your pride. It made 168 million dollars in the first weekend, you cannot go wrong.

Whether this movie was actually well acted or well made doesn't matter because you are going to love it anyway as it brought an end to our favourite fantasy escape. Yes it will never come close to the books but i thought it was good enough!

that's what she said...
The ending made it seem like sometime in the near future they may have a story line for new harry potter movies!!!!! With their children of course playing the main roles. It at least would make for a great television show, I for one would watch it to see the characters childrens stories and such. I just hate to say good-bye to hogwarts. I basically grew up with these movies and i'm sad to see them be over. It was a fantastic series of movies and I love how the whole story unfolded from begging to end. Any one who bashes the movie, I'm sorry you didnt enjoy it. I know I posted my love for this movie already, but it deserves an encore, lol.