Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

→ in
Tools    

I was a little sad it was over, such a great series, plus I watched all of them with my daughter, was great daddy, daughter time, they grow up so fast these days.

I watched the last one with my Daughter as well and at the end we both agreed, it really was a great ending.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
One thing that I thought was unforgivable though was how little screen time some of the "minor" characters had. That huge moment for the Weasley family towards the end of the battle of Hogwarts should not have been shown briefly, only to be seemingly forgotten about.
Totally in agreement here. I thought the Weasley ordeal would have been given more attention, seemed like they just milled over it. And I mentioned before that I was disappointed with the minimal inclusion of Hagrid - he showed up briefly and then disappeared

I know I'm complaining a lot - and don't get me wrong, the movie was still above-average in terms of the other summer flicks of 2011 - there were just a lot of things missing, IMO.

"The Prisoner of Azkaban" still stands as my favorite film of the series.

My beef with the 'Kings Cross' scene was two fold, at the time I didn't realise the thing that fell out the snitch was one of the Deathly Hallows and didn't really like how Harry gained 'ownership' of the Elder Wand thus thought it was another Robot Heaven scene. Also, I was still uneasy on the Dumbledore knowing all along Harry had to die and was actually a bit of a bastard then being there. Probably needs another watch of both parts to appreciate, which i'm willing was possibly me down to me than the film itself.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Also, I was still uneasy on the Dumbledore knowing all along Harry had to die and was actually a bit of a bastard then being there.
My b/f told me that Dumbledore was much more caring and compassionate towards Harry in the novels than he was in the movies...I agree with you Pyro; he did come across as a jerkoff with this whole knowing-Harry's-fate thing.

My b/f told me that Dumbledore was much more caring and compassionate towards Harry in the novels than he was in the movies...I agree with you Pyro; he did come across as a jerkoff with this whole knowing-Harry's-fate thing.
He came across that way in the books to, I thought. I think that's the point of his character; you don't really know him, just like Harry, and therefore have to re-evaluate him just like any other person who quivers your trust bubble.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Dumbledoor wasn't a jerk-off about Harry dying. he knew he would be okay because he left him the Resurrection Stone.

Dumbledoor was always very aloof with Harry, though, yeah, and he might have purposely been so to protect him. also, that's just how his character was, anyway.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
For me the Harry Potter films can be summed up by one thing. That I have never wanted to watch any of them a second time.

I just feel that they could have been made/directed so much better.

Bellatrix vs Molly Weasley could have been 10x better.

Harry should have killed Voldemort with a spell not have him wither away becuase of the wand.

Snape could have had a much better death or at least fought by Harry's side at the end and not just get killed on a whim by Voldemort.

Dumbledore was made to look a right uncaring ******** in the flashbacks.

Ron Weasley did nothing in this film. There was literally no point in him being there. Not bad for 20$ Million.

Neville vs Nagini should have been some sort of battle not just Neville appears out of nowhere as OP said.

Harry Breaks the Elder Wand. Eh What....! What if he faces some new evil in the future? perhaps the most powerful wand ever would come in handy. Well Done Harry you spastic, I hope you rue the day you snapped that piece of wood.

Terrible acting from Majority of the younger cast. Especially Radcliff throughout the series. Modern day Mark Hamill I think whereas Emma Watson will be the Harrison Ford of the three going on to a great career I hope.

Some of those are plausible or could be tweaked stylistically, but some would completely undermine the setups and the characters. Snape, for example, could not have reasonably died another way, and certainly not in some blaze of glory. That wouldn't make sense.

And honestly, if you have to ask why Harry broke the Elder Wand, I think that you missed the entire point of the series. You might as well ask why Frodo was going to destroy that valuable ring when he could have used it to fight evil.

Harry Breaks the Elder Wand. Eh What....! What if he faces some new evil in the future? perhaps the most powerful wand ever would come in handy. Well Done Harry you spastic, I hope you rue the day you snapped that piece of wood.
And you missed the point of the whole series

Terrible acting from Majority of the younger cast. Especially Radcliff throughout the series. Modern day Mark Hamill I think whereas Emma Watson will be the Harrison Ford of the three going on to a great career I hope.
Terrible? Really? It's inoffensive at worst. You want bad acting watch N9ne, that's some of the worst voice work I've ever heard.

I do agree they could all be better, but that will never happen.

I'm pretty surprised at how many people are just tossing out these casual suggestions about what should have happened as if they didn't have to be at all consistent or in any way consummate everything that had come before them.

Agree with most Gandalf's points....

I think it needed more exposition in some points, and less in others, was it always known to the audience that Harry had the Resurrection Stone thus all Three Deathly Hallows? Wasn't Neville also prophecised to kill Big V which turns out technically, in tandem with Harry, he did?

The whole Elder Wand/Master of Death suffered somewhat from 'Lost-itis' and felt like Rowling only thought the concept up for the last book and it just didn't sit well with me. I liked the horocrux's being destroyed without realising what they were in previous films and it all tied the series together, Deathly Hallows not so much. The focus was spoiled between the two when one would have been better.

Bellatrix vs Weasley was cringe worthy dialogue and poorly handled, with no build up just seemingly a 'tick the events from the book'. I get Snape died and then Harry realised through his memories but still, considering he was ultimately the big hero of the series, which should have been a far more startling revelation and interesting plot point. Instead he just whimpered out like a chump, he knew he was going to die and just took it, and maybe there's something I missed, but he seemed wasted.

I actually liked what the twist of Dumbledore's character was, ultimately knowing that Harry had to die and the cold side of him worked but the Kings Cross contradicted that a bit (to me). It seemed far too unlikely he'd die on the chance Harry would knock the Elder Wand from Draco. Who also probably had the most dis-satisfying climax to his arc, after all he did etc to then just be like a comic relief villain bahh.

I'll watch it again when a DVD rip appears and see if i was off on any of this

There are those who call me...Tim.
Harry was one of Voldemorts Horcruxes (that's a horrible word to spell), and like the others he had to be destroyed.

Of course, having possession of the resurrection stone means that he doesn't stay dead, so really he was in no danger.

Now, if you want to see an example of Dumbledore truly being a dick, then look no further than the end of the first film/book. The grand end of year feast, all the students and professors gathered in the great hall to celebrate Slytherins victory for the House Cup.
Suddenly, Dumbledore decides that now, at this moment of triumph for the children (!!!) of Slytherin house, to reward Ron, Hermione, Harry and Neville enough points to beat Slytherin and snatch a last minute victory.

He could have done it much sooner. It's like a soccer team in a World Cup Final being awarded a match winning penalty in injury time for something that happened several minutes earlier, when the opposition were already starting to celebrate their victory.

Now that was a dick move.

I'm pretty surprised at how many people are just tossing out these casual suggestions about what should have happened as if they didn't have to be at all consistent or in any way consummate everything that had come before them.
i'm trying to figure out if those who are doing so have actually read the book or not. i think not.

actually, the movie doesn't show how awful or complex the character Dumbledoor was in Deathly Hallows the movie vs. the book. in the book, you learn a lot a lot about Dumbledoor's past through both snippets of journal entries and flashbacks. it barely touched on that at all in the movie. i figured it wouldn't, it's a really complex storyline with mostly just dialogue and Harry reading a bunch of old letters and junk, but it does explain things a bit better. it also explains the Deathly Hallows better.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Some of those are plausible or could be tweaked stylistically, but some would completely undermine the setups and the characters. Snape, for example, could not have reasonably died another way, and certainly not in some blaze of glory. That wouldn't make sense.

And honestly, if you have to ask why Harry broke the Elder Wand, I think that you missed the entire point of the series. You might as well ask why Frodo was going to destroy that valuable ring when he could have used it to fight evil.
Ive never read the books so it's only natural that I am going to misunderstand a lot of it.

Perhaps my points are directed at the writer aswell as director.

I just feel that all the films could have been made much better, perhaps drafting in a top class director.

Aye, some of the issues probably come from not reading the books...but I think a handful, like the Elder Wand, ought to be pretty obvious. If you understand why The One Ring had to be destroyed, you understand why the Elder Wand ought to have been.

If someone doesn't like this arc or that, that's fine. I just don't think it can be suggested that the very end be changed while leaving everything else the same. And I think the series has been leading us to most of this for a long time.

When Harry broke the Elder Wand in the movie... some guy sitting near me gasped stupidly loud and i heard him whisper to someone, "what is he, stupid?!" *silence* "he should have kept it for himself to kick some ASS" etc. it really annoyed me; not that someone was talking loudly during such a scene (well it did a little actually) but because the kid sounded like a moron and missed the whole point, so i went SHHHH! all loud, which i don't usually do and felt better.

at least he shut up after that!

I enjoyed the movie, but it is my least favourite of them all. It just moves too far from the book and it seems very rushed. I think that even if I had not read the book I would still be a bit disappointed, it just doesn't quite compare to the other movies unfortunately.

I agree with a lot of the comments here so far, the Weasley family and Tonks & Lupin did not get the right amount of attention, the battle at Hogwarts in fact the entire time at Hogwarts was rushed, disjointed and sometimes slightly confusing, and the memories of Snape just didn't cut it for me either. Definitely prefer the other movies and the books.