I hate it in films when...

Tools    

Poor direction is always shown up when they need to have an actual description of the plot.
Emmerich is one of the worst offenders of exposition... Paul WS Anderson is the same.

There's a few more big budget directors that shouldn't have big budgets due to this very thing... they're not worth the money.

The Matrix Reloaded is by far the worst movie though... The Architect's speech when he meets Neo...

Where was that shaky stuff in Melancholia? I can't remember any camera work that was so shaky it got on my nerves/made things hard to see. Also cinema vérité doesn't always equal shaky camera.
Melancholia is one of my favourites for camera work and general visual beauty. The helicopter scene following the horse riding especially!

I hate when the ending hasn't been thought through, and they just put a stupid ending in because they couldn't figure out how to end the movie.

... a man is struggling to do something "manly" (e.g. firing a gun on a range, open a jar etc.) and woman comes along and does it with ease. This is made especially worse when the woman afterwards looks at the man (normally over her shoulder) and raises her eyebrows with a smug grin.

... a criminal (or indeed anyone) is entirely unfazed by any event that occurs near him, no matter how explosive or normally disturbing.

... the directors have put a woman in the film as "the love interest", when the film would be so much better without.

and so on...
It's funny, plus it's good to have a love interest in a film.

http://bradmovietalk.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

I'm sure I've stated it before in a different thread, but the main thing for years that has really irked me is when a character (and this can be an everyday person, a hero, anyone really) walks away from a huge explosion or fire, most often shown in slow-motion. And they never look back. When it's done right, it's okay, like in Platoon because the platoon was way outside the burning village and some were casting anxious looks back.

When it's done wrong, it's like Claire Danes (whom I love) in The Mod Squad, setting fire to a car and walking all-sassy-like away. I know it's a movie, but in real life, these people will at least get scorch marks on their butts. Most likely they'll get killed by flying, burning debris.

TV has started to do this also. I saw a scene from Breaking Bad where Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul are walking slowing from their lab which they've just blown up.

I don't know---if it were me, I'd run away fast from the inferno, find a safe spot about a half-mile or so away, and watch that puppy burn.

This whole thread is awesomeness. but yeah i hate it when 2 characters are introduced (man/woman) . Which throughout the movie will give cheesy scenes and clues that at the end they will have a romantic kiss.

Not really in films, but when people say they hate a certain horror because it didn't scare them. So what?
If you like horror films anyway, then I'm with you. However, if you only watch horror films to be scared, then it's legitimate.

I rarely watch comedies because the point of them, for me, is to laugh. As they rarely manage to do that for me, I tend to avoid them.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
When a film ends far past when it should've ended: Match Point, tons of Paul Thomas Anderson stuff.
Also, when dialogue is shown only with a series of fast moving shots and reverse shots: basically every movie ever!

I think its funny how they can use the amazing "enhance" feature to improve, unblur and unpixelate bad video footage, no matter what the source is.

The gun shot never right target @@

People you are viewing it with, arn't paying attention, talking, etc...
Yeah this is a pet peeve of mine as well. I get headlong into films when I am watching it, especially when i know it will be decent or when I have somewhat of an expectation on it.

There are those who call me...Tim.
When a perfectly realised character is brought back in the sequel in new circumstances that don't suit the actor playing them.

I mean, it could be interesting, but more often it feels like the people in charge forgot why they cast the original actor in the first place.

I also don't like it when the bring a girl in movie, just to put a girl in the movie. Especially if the movie was good or great before introducing the girl.

I don't like it when the bad guy is doing better than the good guy and then all of sudden the good guy gets a boost of energy and wipes the floor with the supposedly unstoppable bad guy.

International Woman of Mystery
I personally hate it when a kick ass comedy turns into a sappy soul searching love story by the end.

When male nudity is used for comedic effect.

I'm not a prude. I've nothing against the use of nudity provided there's some justification for it in the plot, but I just don't find anything funny about a naked man and I don't understand why others do.

What about this, though?