The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
Don't know how well known of a fact this is but Nemo is Latin for No one so its funny the title is Finding No One.
Nemo is also the name of the Captain of the Nautilus in Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.

Miss. Vicky said in the What You're Watching Tonight thread that she's was going to watch Mononoke because everyone wanted her to and someone said it was a hint that film was high on the list.

I'm sorry if I was selfish or something.
What I said was "the things I do for you people" and then somebody assumed that it meant the movie had placed high on the countdown (which #9 is pretty damn high). I never implied that it was number one.

I think it was pretty much a given from the start that Ghibli films, especially those by Miyazaki, would do well but it seems strange to assume that Mononoke would even rank the highest of the Miyazaki films.

Personally I think the list is fine as of now. However, I will be slightly mad if Spirited Away isn't #1 considering the fact Mononoke, the film I personally thought would win, didn't.
There's no way Spirited Away will the the 1st one. Up most likely will be it.

I had Finding Nemo on my 20th, it's a very nostalgic film for me and it's always so fun and entretaining to watch. Even sad at times. The colors are so vivid, just like Ratatouille which did not make my list just because I couldn't watch it on time. In fact I saw it yesterday and I loved it, I'll soon rate it.

What I hope:

1. Spirited Away
2. The Lion King
3. Wall-E
4. Up
5. Toy Story

What I expect:

1. Up
2. Wall-E
3. Spirited Away
4. Toy Story
5. The Lion King

If Toy Story 3 is #10, Toy Story is either #1 or #2.

Remember -- for the '70s Countdown, The Godfather Part II was #10 and The Godfather was #1.

I think the votes are more spread over the three films this time. Toy Story is also not that popular as The Godfather or LOTR.

I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Monsters Inc and Ratatouille are both fine films, but always struck me as lesser Pixar efforts. They're mot ones that I'll put on to watch, but won't mind others starting up while I'm around.

Finding Nemo is another matter entirely. It's not just my favorite Pixar, but my favorite animated film overall. It has a fantastic story, great dialog, great cast and of course phenomenal animation. It's honestly one that I can't get enough of.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I have some issues with Finding Emo so it wasn't on my list, although it is a well made film. I had 3 Pixar films on my list in total and they've all shown up now.

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
4 The Fox and the Hound
5 The Nightmare Before Christmas
7 Aladdin
10 Surfs Up
15 All Dogs Go To Heaven
17 How to Train Your Dragon
18 Finding Nemo
19 Monsters Inc.
23 Hercules
25 Bevis and Butt-head Do America

5. The Lion King - Voting Stats

Total Points: 584
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
38 Votes: 1st Place (25 pts.), Two 2nd Place (24 pts. each), Three 3rd Place (23 pts. each), Five 4th Place (22 pts. each), Three 5th Place (21 pts. each), 6th Place (20 pts.), 7th Place (19 pts.), Two 8th Place (18 pts. each), Two 9th Place (17 pts. each), Two 10th Place (16 pts. each), Two 11th Place (15 pts. each), 12th Place (14 pts.), 13th Place (13 pts.), Two 15th Place (11 pts. each), 16th Place (10 pts.), 17th Place (9 pts.), 18th Place (8 pts.), 20th Place (6 pts.), Two 22nd Place (4 pts. each), 23rd Place (3 pts.), Two 24th Place (2 pts. each), Two 25th Place (1 pt. each)

My #9 pick. Great movie.

05. Dumbo (1941) - 49th
07. Coraline (2009) - 36th
08. Beavis And Butt-Head Do America (1996) - 66th
09. The Lion King (1994) - 5th
11. Aladdin (1992) - 15th
12. Monsters Inc. (2001) - 7th
13. Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs (1937) - 31st
14. Shrek (2001) - 21st
15. Finding Nemo (2003) - 6th
16. The Simpsons Movie (2007) - 51st
17. Watership Down (1978) - 75th
18. The Iron Giant (1999) - 22nd
20. Fantasia (1940) - 20th
21. A Scanner Darkly (2006) - 47th
22. Akira (1988) - 29th
25. Alice In Wonderland (1951) - 33rd

I've never liked The Lion King. It had the misfortune of being released when I was 13 and very much in my "animation sucks" phase. But also I've always found the songs to be really, really annoying and that didn't change when I rewatched it a couple of months ago.

The Last of my list to show up. Had it at 25.

1. Frozen
2. South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut
3. The Little Mermaid
4. Sleeping Beauty
5. Heavy Metal
6. No show
7. Aladdin
8. No show
9. Beauty and the Beast
10. Fantasia
11. Fantastic Planet
12. No show
13. Bevis and Butthead Do America
14. No show
15. No show
16. The Nightmare before Christmas
17. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
18. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
19. Alice in Wonderland (1951)
20. No show
21. Bambi
22. No show
23. The Lady and the Tramp
24. No show
25. The Lion King

A system of cells interlinked
The Lion King and Finding Nemo are just not my type of flicks. They most certainly did not make my list, that's for sure! If I am watching an animated film and I hear tuba music and then a little character pops out of the shrubs and starts singing a little ditty, I have taken a wrong turn somewhere, and I generally stop the journey right there. Nemo was fairly entertaining and only mildly annoying, but again, had no chance of making my list. I have never seen Monsters Inc.

These flicks just aren't anywhere near engaging enough for me when compared to something like Perfect Blue or Serial Experiments : Lain. That's just my taste, I guess!

Quite excited to see Lion King this high. I wish Aladdin was up here with it but we can't have it all. I love the characters and the songs. It probably also was responsible for me becoming a big Elton John fan. I went and saw him in concert with Billy Joel the summer Lion King was released. Of course he sang the songs from the movie and clips were going on the big screen. Went and saw it as soon as it was released. Good times. Might be some nostalgia there. The movie holds up for me though. I have watched it a bunch since. My kids don't like it which is kind of a bummer. Lion King was my #3.