Richard Belzer is dead - the most connected man in TV's 'Verses gone

Tools    

Only familiarity i ever had with him was in Law and Order. RIP

That is only a small part of the Munchiverse.

Richard Belzer is very familiar to me, though I never knew his name until just now. I mainly know him from the Pat Benatar music video Le Bel Age. What's interesting is he has a whole story arch in the video with speaking parts too. It's hard to explain, just watch it...he's quite good & sardonically funny...which I gather was his normal comedy routine.

I quite like "Law and Order: SVU" and he was great on it. I stopped watching the show after Chris Meloni, Olivia's original partner, left, since I found that the show changed after that and I didn't really enjoy it anymore. Did anyone else have that experience? Comparing the way the show is now to the way it was when he was there, it sometimes feels like a different show!

I liked Belzer a lot. I mainly watched him on Homicide: Life on the Street and I never missed an episode. I caught a few Law and Order episodes but I never stuck with the various shows. Still, every time I saw him on the shows he was excellent.

I remember seeing the infamous episode of his talk show where he had Hulk Hogan show him a sleeper hold while Mr. T looked on. Hogan did indeed put Belzer to sleep and let him drop to the hard floor. Belzer, when Hogan roused him, jumped up like nothing happened and said something like, "Hey, we'll be right back!" but you could see he had blood in his hair. Later, he sued Hogan for injuring him. I don't know how the case turned out.

He was also a conspiracy buff and every once in a while I'd catch him riffing on something he was suspicious about. Whether he really believed what he talked about in those theories, I'll never know because he was, after all, a performer.

Still, I enjoyed the guy. Godspeed, Richard.