Favorite Stephen King Movies (And Books)

Tools    

There are a few authors who are interchangeable favorites of mine, such as David Wong, Ramsey Campbell, and H.P. Lovecraft. But if I had to pick just one all-time favorite, it would have to be the master of terror himself. He's certainly earned his place as a household name, and has even shown with Different Seasons and The Green Mile that he's not a one trick pony. What are your favorite films based on his work?

10. Carrie
9. Rose Red (not based on a novel, but he did write the screenplay so it counts :P)
8. Misery
7. The Shining
6. Pet Sematary
5. Creepshow
4. The Green Mile
3. Cujo
2. The Mist
1. The Shawshank Redemption

Now, Pet Sematary and Cujo seem to get a lot of hate from the people who have read the books, and I confess that I haven't read them, but I do have a copy of each waiting to be opened. I also still need to get the novel The Shining, especially after hearing that Mr. King himself did not like Kubrick's movie.
Also, if you're a literary person, what are your favorite books by him?

5. Gerald's Game
4. Nightmares and Dreamscapes
3. The Langoliers (although it's part of a bigger book, I'm still counting it on its own)
2. Salem's Lot
1. It

I've only read It so i can't really comment on his books but i will say i enjoyed it.
As for the films -

1.The Shining
2.It
3.The Shawshank Redemption
4.Stand by Me
5.Carrie
6.Misery
7.Pet Sematary
8.The Green Mile
9.Cujo

Chappie doesn't like the real world
The Shining, Carrie Christine and It are the only movies I can think of that I like.

I am a fan of his books. The Talisman (co-written with Peter Straub) has been a long time favorite of mine since I was a kid. I love The Dark Tower series, The Stand, It, Salem's Lot, Christine and Needful Things.

The Shining, Carrie Christine and It are the only movies I can think of that I like.

I am a fan of his books. The Talisman (co-written with Peter Straub) has been a long time favorite of mine since I was a kid. I love The Dark Tower series, The Stand, It, Salem's Lot, Christine and Needful Things.
I forgot to mention Salem's Lot as one of my favorite books, and it was the main reason I hated the movie in the first place. I'm fixing this right now.
As for the movies you mentioned, I only watched Christine once and I didn't think it was anything special.
Stephen King's It is a well made TV movie with a superb cast and I do like it for those reasons, but it doesn't come close to how great the book is, IMO. My one nitpick regarding the novel is when they explain how the monster got here, and it defeats that mysterious quality that made It so terrifying in the first place.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Yeah, King does over explain things and you're right, I don't think the monster needed an origin story.

The sex scene in the book creeped me out and was unnecessary, I thought. It didn't help matters that I was their age when I first read the book. I didn't want to play with my friends like that. Seriously though, it just seems weird and out of tone with the kids.

1.The Green Mile
2.Stand by Me (based on the novella "The Body")
3.The Shawshank Redemption
4.Carrie
5.The Stand
6.The Dead Zone
7.Salem's Lot (the original David Soul version, not the crap Rob Lowe remake)
8.The Mist
9.Christine
10.Misery

Then there are books of his that I didn't enjoy but made halfway decent movies, including Cujo, Firestarter (although in a cheesy way), and Pet Sematary.

Loved the book of It and I thought the TV mini-series version was okay, but the second half really let down, especially at the climax with the fake-looking monster. But Tim Curry ripped up the screen as Pennywise and the young actors playing the kids were great. I'm hoping for a longer, more-detailed remake.

I hated the book Under the Dome, which should have been titled, "Stephen King: What I Believe." He hammers you over the head with his political beliefs (as if you didn't know them by the time of the book's release) and sets up a hero who basically does nothing. But, that said, I may give the upcoming mini-series a look. Like I said above, sometimes the crap books turn out okay on screen.

I've read a dozen or so of his books over the years, but really don't care much for the big screen adaptations of his work, but there are a few exceptions out there.

The Dead Zone
Salems Lot (original)
The Shining (original)
The Mist (minus the questionable actions and timing within the last 10 minutes)

I have not read any of the books but one movie I saw on VHS was Tommyknockers which wasnt too bad, it had the woman from the original CSI (the older cast member). I think the movie was made in the late 80s or early 90s. IT is one of my favorite movies just for the sheer adventure of it all. Green Mile however will forever be my favorite movie, great cast and unforgettable characters, definately in my top 10 list.

I have not read any of the books but one movie I saw on VHS was Tommyknockers which wasnt too bad, it had the woman from the original CSI (the older cast member). I think the movie was made in the late 80s or early 90s. IT is one of my favorite movies just for the sheer adventure of it all. Green Mile however will forever be my favorite movie, great cast and unforgettable characters, definately in my top 10 list.
I would highly recommend the novel.

I would highly recommend the novel.
Well I did try to read Misery once and due to Stephen King's over explaination of every word and event I got bored of it quick. It sounds lazy but I might see if I can pick up the audio book of IT as I have heard the novel is good.

Well I did try to read Misery once and due to Stephen King's over explaination of every word and event I got bored of it quick. It sounds lazy but I might see if I can pick up the audio book of IT as I have heard the novel is good.
It's over 1300 pages long.

Definitely Shawshank. Misery is pretty good, but Green Mile didn't quite convince me.

"Dolores Claiborne" is a great movie. I must have watched it at least 7 or 8 times.

Of what I've seen and in loose order of preference...

1. Carrie
2. The Dead Zone
3. The Shining
4. The Running Man
5. Salem's Lot (1979 TV)
6. Misery

7. Christine
8. The Mist
9. The Green Mile
10. Dolores Claiborne
11. Cujo
12. Dreamcatcher
13. The Dark Half
14. Stand By Me
15. The Shawshank Redemption
16. Firestarter
17. Cat's Eye
18. Maximum Overdrive
19. Silver Bullet
20. Needful Things
21. It (1990 TV)
22. Pet Sematary
23. Sleepwalkers
24. 1408
25. Secret Window
26. The Stand (1994 TV)
27. The Tommyknockers (1993 TV)
28. Creepshow
29. Children of the Corn
30. The Lawnmower Man
31. The Langoliers (1995 TV)

Still plenty I haven't gotten around to.

Shawshank Redemption, end of story!

I enjoy almost all of his books and the majority of the movies made from the books. I would love to see something made from "The Dark Tower" series. A movie wouldn't work; maybe a mini-series.
They could do something like A Game of Thrones where each season is based on a different book in the series.

Cant believe The Shawshank is so low on most of the list posted!

I would say, its the best movie ever made! Total treat!

Not a big fan of horror though, but I have watched most of it.

Mist is just like any other movie to me!