The funniest movie I ever saw was....

Tools    

I did this a while back on another movie forum.
It's simple:
1. Interpret any way you like.
2. Pick a movie.
3. Discuss

For me this one is a tough choice. But for now I'll have to go with:

No, it's not the greatest comedy ever. That honor goes to Some Like It Hot, or any number of Cary Grant comedies. But damn this movie is hilarious!

All the Snout...Twice the Ointment.
Wow! Extremely tough to narrow down. The first thing that comes to mind? "Borat". And I hate saying that because it makes me seem shortsighted. Picking something that was released so recently when there are tons of classic comedies out there, and all. But I'll be darned if I didn't nearly wet myself in the theater during Borat's 'wrestling scene'.

If I were making a list here, I'd also add everything Charlie Chaplin ever did. Along with all Woody Allen's early work ("Take the Money & Run", "Bananas", "Sleeper", etc.) & the Monty Python films. But you asked for one, so I'm sticking with "Borat".

Lost in never never land
I am going to have to go with City Lights as the funniest movie that I have ever seen. Hot Fuzz and Brining Up Baby have to fall into the next two slots.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut

The Adventure Starts Here!
Do you mean funniest as in gut-wrenching laugh-laugh-laugh? Because I tend to thoroughly enjoy movies like Bringing Up Baby and Arsenic and Old Lace ... but neither of them made me start crying because I was laughing so hard.

Oddly, the last movie that did that to me was Ice Age 2, which I saw in the theater with all of my kids and my parents. Yoda/Chris and I were laughing pretty hard during most of that movie. (The homeboy sidekicks/meerkat things were hilarious, as was the squirrel, of course.) I guess what surprised me and made me laugh more was that I wasn't expecting to laugh that much. I came out amazed at how much it hit my funny bone.

In the past, the Leslie Nielsen comedies (Airplane included, but mostly the Naked Gun/Police Squad stuff) always make me laugh.

Another one that does me in every time is Raising Arizona. Too many one-liners there to count.

Do you mean funniest as in gut-wrenching laugh-laugh-laugh? Because I tend to thoroughly enjoy movies like Bringing Up Baby and Arsenic and Old Lace ... but neither of them made me start crying because I was laughing so hard.

Oddly, the last movie that did that to me was Ice Age 2, which I saw in the theater with all of my kids and my parents. Yoda/Chris and I were laughing pretty hard during most of that movie. (The homeboy sidekicks/meerkat things were hilarious, as was the squirrel, of course.) I guess what surprised me and made me laugh more was that I wasn't expecting to laugh that much. I came out amazed at how much it hit my funny bone.

In the past, the Leslie Nielsen comedies (Airplane included, but mostly the Naked Gun/Police Squad stuff) always make me laugh.

Another one that does me in every time is Raising Arizona. Too many one-liners there to count.
As I said in the first post, "interpret any way you want." As far as I'm concerned those are all good choices.

The last movie I remember really laughing at was Airplane it was the first time I saw it last summer. The humour is so insanely stupid.

Other than that I can't remember laughing too much during a movie.

I did find the stingray in Finding Nemo hilarious for some reason, near the start when he's spinning saying "where'd ya go?".

I always find Norman Wisdoms movies consistently funny.

The last movie I remember really laughing at was Airplane it was the first time I saw it last summer. The humour is so insanely stupid.

Other than that I can't remember laughing too much during a movie.

I did find the stingray in Finding Nemo hilarious for some reason, near the start when he's spinning saying "where'd ya go?".

I always find Norman Wisdoms movies consistently funny.
I'm not familiar with him, but I see from IMDB that he's a British comic actor. I was going to recommend Blazing Saddles or Young Frankenstein as two other movies that I find very funny, but since you mentioned a British comic actor from the middle part of the last century, I feel thast it might be better to mention any number of comedies by Ealing studios. I particularly like the ones with Alec Guinness, (Kind Hearts and Coronets, Our Man In Havana, etc), but there are some others put out by Ealing that are also great; Passport To Pimlico, Genevieve, and Whiskey Galore to name just a few.

BUT....for truly hilarious fare, some of my favorites are the old screwball comedies, many of which star Cary Grant:

His Girl Friday
One of many adaptations of the Hecht/MacArthur play The Front Page, given masterful treatment by Howard Hawks. Sterling performances by Grant, Rosalind Russell, and especially Ralph Bellamy help to make this one of my favorite comedies.

Bringing Up Baby
Another Hawks delight, with Grant paired up with Katharine Hepburn this time. I dare you to watch this and not laugh.

Arsenic and Old Lace
Insane. Completely insane. Grant and the incomparable Josephine Hull top a superb cast of characters in this comedy about a man who discovers that his two sweet old aunts are helping lonely old men by poisoning them and burying them in the basement.

Geez, sorry....I didn't mean to go on like this, but I hope you and others found this helpful.

I'm a sucker for all the old comedies with Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, Harold Lloyd, Fatty Arbuckle, the Marx Brothers, and Laurel and Hardy…but Keaton is my favorite of them all… and The General would have to be my favorite of his from that era…

Another favorite comedy of mine is The Blues Brothers … Jake and Elroy are hilarious… and no matter how many times I see it, I still laugh…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

BANNED
My favorite comedy movie was "gods must be crazy" i find it natural funny movie to watch..

I did this a while back on another movie forum.
It's simple:
1. Interpret any way you like.
2. Pick a movie.
3. Discuss

For me this one is a tough choice. But for now I'll have to go with:

No, it's not the greatest comedy ever. That honor goes to Some Like It Hot, or any number of Cary Grant comedies. But damn this movie is hilarious!
Back in the 1960s, I was poor-boying it through college on what money I could earn parttime and the GI Bill. Lived in one room with a hot plate and went 6 months without TV, movies, dates, or even buying a coke. One evening it was advertised they were showing a free film at the SUB, so I went over. It was Chaplin in The Gold Rush. After 6 months with little to laugh about, that film really tickled me--laughed until my ribs hurt!!! I'm also a big fan of Buster Keaton in The General. But for dialogue, sight gags, and all sorts of funny business, there are three funny films that are hard to beat--The Great Race, The Odd Couple, and Play it Again, Sam.

Prossey said it in the first post SOME LIKE IT HOT i love this movie, i don't remeber how many time I have seen it

Swingers
Office Space
Coming to America

Movie Forums Critic
george of the jungle

In terms of films that had me laughing out loud, Aussie film Fat Pizza would be high on top of the list.

It's a terrible, terrible movie but i never laughed so hard at a film in my life.

Comedy is my favorite genre, so judging this is nigh on impossible for me, however some recent films do come to light:

Hot Fuzz, Knocked Up, and Superbad all had me laughing my ass off throughout the entire run-time, but I think Superbad probably edges out Hot Fuzz to sit on top of that pile.

That being said, I love Kevin Smith's body of work (Clerks II and Mallrats being my favorites of his), and old comedies are great.

Prospero mentioned Cary Grant films and I must say that I love Arsenic and Old Lace. It is a fantastic movie, and I starred in the stage play in high school so it holds a special place in my heart

"Blazing Saddles" is classic. Could never be made again because of political correctness. We can't laugh with each other anymore, it seems, only at each other and that's inappropriate.

"The Naked Gun" makes me laugh until I cry. They perfected the art of comedy and absolutely nailed it it on all levels: dialogue, sight gags, expressions and, amazingly, plot.

The one that nobody I know has seen (that I probably shouldn't mention) is "Crimewave", an early Cohen Brothers script that I think Sam Raimi directed. It's so stoopid, you have to find something to laugh at while watching it.