Actors who are always in good films

Tools    

I haven't seen that one yet, which is why I didn't list it in either category. The snippets I've seen make me suspect she carries that movie singlehandedly too.

crazed out movie freak
I forgot a few

Sleepers
Apollo 13
The River Wild
JFK

All right, I know this will piss some people off, but hear me out. lol. I personally think Christian Bale is quite overrated. I think he's a very theatrical actor, and I'm not too sure that he belongs in film. I've seen him in numerous roles, and he's been very hit and miss for me. I thought he was great in American Psycho and quite good in The New World, but weak in several others (Shaft, Swing Kids and, yes, The Prestige). I also thought he was REALLY miscast in Batman Begins, and I know a lot of people love that film, but I just can't see where all the rave is coming from. I find that he overacts a lot of his dialogue and attempts a degree of intensity that he just doesn't possess.

He's a very dedicated actor, I will give him that (his drastic weight loss for The Machinist is commendable) but he rarely convinces me in his roles. I also find it really irritating when people call him the next De Niro, and I tend to hear it all the time.

Debate, anyone?

I am surprised that Robert Redford didn't get on this list yet. Extremely talented actor and director.

Yeah, Redford's really good too. I thought The Sting was amazing.

See the trailer here:

Here is my list of actors:

Johnny Depp
Brat Pitt
Jacky Chan
Tom Cruise

Here is my list of actors:

Johnny Depp
Brat Pitt
Jacky Chan
Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise has one hell of a filmography too. He's one of my favorite actors. Eyes Wide Shut, Collateral, Rain Man, Vanilla Sky, Born on the Fourth of July, The Last Samurai, A Few Good Men... the list goes on. I have a lot of respect for him.

Just a girl who loves movies
Hopkins would be my pick. He seems to either have starred in good movies or act that well he makes them good

BANNED (PLANT)
All right, I know this will piss some people off, but hear me out. lol. I personally think Christian Bale is quite overrated. I think he's a very theatrical actor, and I'm not too sure that he belongs in film. I've seen him in numerous roles, and he's been very hit and miss for me. I thought he was great in American Psycho and quite good in The New World, but weak in several others (Shaft, Swing Kids and, yes, The Prestige). I also thought he was REALLY miscast in Batman Begins, and I know a lot of people love that film, but I just can't see where all the rave is coming from. I find that he overacts a lot of his dialogue and attempts a degree of intensity that he just doesn't possess.

He's a very dedicated actor, I will give him that (his drastic weight loss for The Machinist is commendable) but he rarely convinces me in his roles. I also find it really irritating when people call him the next De Niro, and I tend to hear it all the time.

Debate, anyone?
I disagree, admittedly I've not seen all his films but I've enjoyed every one I have seen, notably Batman Begins, American Psycho, The Machinist & The Prestige.

will smith
samuel jackson
morgan freeman

For me, Gene hackman, Hanks, Brando, Hopkins, Johnny depp, Al pacino, Paul newman, and the versatile king of roles Robert deniro.

Movie Forums Critic
Robin Williams:

Bicentennial man
Patch adams
Good will hunting
Hook
dead poet society
Mrs. Doubtfire

There have been a lot of good names thrown about in this thread. During the discussion of Meryl Streep, I'm surprised no one mentioned The Manchurian Candidate remake (at least I don't think you did). It was an okay movie, but I Thought Streep was just astounding in it. Pretty much the way I felt about Angela Lansbury in the original.

Anyway, allow me to throw out a couple of other names that haven't been mentioned:

Chris Cooper
One of the best actors working today, IMHO. I can't pretend to have seen anything close all of his movies, but he's been great in everything I've seen him in.

I was also about to mention Chow Yun-Fat, but then I remembered The Replacement Killers and Bulletproof Monk, so never mind.
Still, overall I like the guy.

I think it is near impossible, to find an actor who is 'always in good films'. Even the greatest living actors like Robert De Niro (Showtime, Hide and Seek) and Al Pacino (Gigli, People I Know) have been in some very bad movies. However, i will still maintain that De Niro is, by quite a margin, the greatest living actor. His immersion into 'the method' allows him to become truly absorbed into a character. He can adopt a minimalistic approach, while still developing a characters' mental awareness in such a chilling way (Taxi Driver, The King of Comedy). He can also portray a character with fervent intensity, the heralded Pacino-esque shout and spit technique, if you will (Raging Bull).

Even looking back, acting greats like James Stewart (Airport '77), Cary Grant (None But The Lonely Heart) and Humphrey Bogart (Tokyo Joe) have all been in some average films.Granted, these films are not unmitigated disasters but these actors didn't live back in the day when you could get paid $20 million for acting in unadulterated garbage like Showtime and Gigli.

The only actor i can think of that hasn't been in a bad film is the late John Cazale, who appeared in The Godfather, The Godfather Part II, Dog Day Afternoon, The Deer Hunter and The Conversation. There are three masterpieces (The Godfather I & II, The Deer Hunter) and two very good films (Dog Day Afternoon, The Conversation) in that filmography.

The Next Lindsey Lohan......
Robin Williams
Tom Hanks
Kevin Spacey
Will Smith
Heath Ledger

Julia Stiles
Natalie Portman
Helana Bonham Carter
Judi Dench
Anna Sophia Robb(Up & Comer)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm not sure I can find any actors whose films I have seen all of. However, actors I have yet to see them in a bad film...

Guy Pearce

Has turned in some pretty good (and varied) performances, and none of the films I have seen him in have been bad. I didn't especially love The Proposition, but it wasn't exactly a bad movie (and he wasn't bad in it.)

I am yet to see a bad movie featuring Daniel day Lewis

How about Sean Connery or Clint Eastwood. These guys make the movies they are in good, if not great just by being there.

Founding member of the Divide by Zero Foundation.

There's too much blood in my caffeine system!!