The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Blade Runner 2049 totally dulled me out and I could never get into it. The original is probably the #1 reason why I always say I'm not a big Sci-Fi fan. I can at least say I like it now but it's taken many viewings over many years.

Blade Runner 2049 is my number 1.

I am a fan of the original & the book, but I adore Blade Runner 2049 way way more. For me it's perfection, & the only movie that I have watched in the theatre multiple times (5). I have watched it further more times on my telly. It never gets old for me.

You ready? You look ready.
Blade Runner 2049 was awesome in theaters but they only showed it here for one weekend and on the screen with the shittiest subwoofers. Rage inducing to say the least

Knew Blade Runner and Her would both be up this high. I enjoyed both, but not enough to vote for either.

And that almost completes my top 10

2049 was my #6.

1: Ex Machina (2015) - 49th
2: Dredd (2012) - 42nd
3: Interstellar (2014) - 33rd
4:
5: Joker (2019) - 60th
6: Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - 8th
7: Prisoners (2013) - 69th
8: The Hateful Eight (2015) - 20th
9: The Shape of Water (2017) - 52nd
10: Django Unchained (2012) 27th
11: Shutter Island (2010) - 76th
12:
13:
14:
15:
16: Deadpool (2016) - 85th
17:
18: Logan (2017) - 46th
19:
20: Avengers: Endgame (2019) - 79th
21: The Martian (2015) - 82nd
22:
23: Arrival (2016) - 12th
24:
25:

---

BLADE RUNNER 2049

---
Year Of Release
---
Director/s
Denis Villeneuve
---
Producer/s
Andrew A. Kosove, Broderick Johnson, Bud Yorkin, Cynthia Sikes Yorkin
---
Writer/s
Hampton Fancher, Michael Green
Based on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
by Philip K. Dick
---
Cinematography
Roger A. Deakins
---
Editor/s
Joe Walker
---
Music
Benjamin Wallfisch, Hans Zimmer
---
Cast
Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford, Ana de Armas, Sylvia Hoeks, Robin Wright, Mackenzie Davis and Lennie James
With Dave Bautista
And Jared Leto
---
Plot:
Replicants are bioengineered humans, designed by Tyrell corporation for use off-world. Their enhanced strength made them ideal slave labor.
After a series of violent rebellions, their manufacture became prohibited and Tyrell Corp went bankrupt.
The collapse of ecosystems in the mid 2020s led to the rise of the industrialist Niander Wallace, whose mastery of synthetic farming averted famine.
Wallace acquired the remains of Tyrell Corp and created a new line of replicants who obey.
Many older model replicants - Nexus 8s with open-ended lifespans - survived.
They are hunted down and 'retired'.
Those that hunt them still go by the name...

Blade Runner

---

Review:
Blade Runner is a classic, and one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time. Combining real storytelling and some of the greatest effects ever put on screen, and an absolute masterpiece by Ridley Scott, surpassing even Alien in his genius... a follow-up, especially in today's climate of overly used CGI and pretty much all big-budget movies have little to no actual soul, the word "wary" doesn't come close to my concerns.
But, (and this is a controversial opinion) Ridley Scott is inconsistent at best.
He makes either a masterpiece, or mediocre movies.

So, my second thought after my initial worry, was that not having Scott as the director or producer, or even the writer, was probably a good thing.
And, I said this in my previous review of Dune about Villeneuve, if anyone could do it, it was probably him.

2049 didn't disappoint.

But, ok, there's a couple things wrong with the movie... and the first being that it's kinda linear.
There's nothing really that will change anything in the industry in terms of the storytelling.
It's a pretty simple ABC, 123 set of circumstances that lead to the ending.

Another thing, is that it relies too often on twists.
The twist about K's identity, the twist behind the bones found in the box, the twist of who "the child" is, the twist that Deckard is still around with the question as to whether he's a replicant or not still unanswered... the twist of Luv's abilities that are different to other replicants, the twist of who Mariette actually is... etc, etc.

It feels as though the movie is trying to throw as many curveballs as possible amongst that ABC, 123 screenplay.
It makes the scenes and acts feel a little unconnected at times. Like, it goes ABC, 123, curveball... ABC, 123, curveball... ABC, 123, curveball...

A couple twists here and there are good, but almost every character having one, it gets a little off-putting.

Another thing I think marred the movie, is that Ford's return as Deckard was spoiled by the trailers and marketing.
Like with Dune, Villeneuve's marketing team needs a bit of an overhaul.

The good thing/s though... it's not complicated to follow as it chops and changes between the various twists, and I like that.
A movie with so many turns could have been impossible to make sense of, but they managed to make it simple enough to just sit and watch it all unfold as it goes along.
The other thing I like, are the small touches that throw-back to the original movie.
Small soundbites, some nostalgic photography, the fact that the movie has some genuine scope to it with some of the shots across the sprawling cityscapes and farming areas, and the junkyard that seemingly goes from horizon to horizon that's filled with scavengers and an orphanage.

The piano key was a nice touch as well, becoming a throw-away set-up and pay-off in the 3rd act.
As too is Sapper Morton's initial speech to K about miracles and the relationship between K and Joi, and I absolutely loved the way that Luv and Wallace react to each other.
The background of the movie as well is also packed with little details and touches of real-world trinkets and a sort of "lived-in artistry".
It's those little touches and overlooked details that make 2049 like the original movie that was packed with tiny details and organic, world building touches.
The atmosphere is there as well with rainy scenes, dirty streets, the weather effects adding depth to scenes, though the movie isn't quite as "smoky" as the original, which is something that always bothered me a little with the original with all the steam and smoke in every scene.

I also didn't mind that this movie is driven by a MacGuffin, in this case "the child".
K's purpose is to find it, the entire plot revolves around it, because his/her very existence could, ahem, "break the world".

The other thing I loved about the movie, is the useage of actual sets combined with CGI only when it was needed, and the touches of practical effects as well.
The CGI also doesn't disappoint either. The aesthetic is akin to the original movie (which used processing and camera trickery), with the addition of the in-universe tech being more advanced.
I think the weakest piece of CGI, is the de-aged Sean Young. I wasn't fooled I'm afraid. It looked ok, but there was something not quite right with it.

But, the only way I can think to put the whole aesthetic is that it's both fresh and new, but also recognisable as Blade Runner, at the same time.
Bravo, filmmakers.

The acting is solid too throughout.
Gosling as K is perfect.
De Armas as Joi is also stunning.

Ford returning as Deckard though is a bit hit and miss. He's not exactly playing Deckard, he's playing Harrison Ford. Kinda the same way he did with Han Solo in the Star Wars sequels.

The standout for me though, is Jared Leto as Wallace.
Damn this guy is menacing.
Full of mystery and intrigue, eccentricity, wonder, broiling anger almost at times too.
Hard to believe this is the same actor that gave us Joker and Morbius.

---
All in All, visually brilliant, and a story and screenplay that has a few twists and turns, but easy to follow... though again like Dune, nothing that will change the movie industry.

Nostalgic to an extent, and does new things with the in-universe lore at the same time.

Apart from too many twists, some of which are kind of throw-away, it's up there with some of the greatest sequels of all time.
It's not exactly Godfather: Part II, or say, Aliens or T2, but it's definitely up there because it did the impossible; successfully following Blade Runner.

I think the highest rating I've seen on online sites is 87%...
My rating: Just pips the 90s at 91%.

My experience with Blade Runner 2049 is weird, at least for me. I mean, I saw it and I remember I enjoyed it, but for the life of me, I can't remember the logistics of the plot or even chunks of it. I remember the opening with Dave Bautista, but after that it's just images and brief moments; that's it. Been meaning to rewatch it for a while.

Here's where I'm at, including the chances for the rest of my list...

Seen: 70/93

My ballot:  

Now that we're sort of on the subject, which film in this countdown has the best poster?
Going by the ones on the first page...

The Witch
It Follows
The Cabin in the Woods
Moonlight
Melancholia
Drive

I also like the color scheme of Three Billboards

My experience with Blade Runner 2049 is weird, at least for me. I mean, I saw it and I remember I enjoyed it, but for the life of me, I can't remember the logistics of the plot or even chunks of it. I remember the opening with Dave Bautista, but after that it's just images and brief moments; that's it. Been meaning to rewatch it for a while.
Same here. I remember the beginning, but that's about it. I think it was a good picture, and I'm a huge fan of Roger Deakins' (he won the DP Oscar for that film), but it didn't make my top 25.

I loved Blade Runner 2049, but it just missed out on my ballot. Here is my original review from when I first saw it:

Blade Runner 2049 (2017) is a meticulously well crafted and sharply executed epic film, masterfully directed by Denis Villeneuve (Arrival, Prisoners). Ryan Gosling does a great job in the lead role and the rest of the stellar cast provide strong support. The film has a smart screenplay that avoids cliches and manages to surprise and delight the audience. Beautiful, distinctive visuals enhance the film, along with a haunting score. I do feel that the film is slightly too long and could have been trimmed a bit towards the beginning. Personally, I think that Blade Runner 2049 is even better than the original Blade Runner. This is definitely one to see in cinemas. Don't miss it.

Seen: 89/93

My experience with Blade Runner 2049 is weird, at least for me. I mean, I saw it and I remember I enjoyed it, but for the life of me, I can't remember the logistics of the plot or even chunks of it. I remember the opening with Dave Bautista, but after that it's just images and brief moments; that's it...
All I remember is the opening scene and the recreated Rachel that get's killed and some fighting under water. Other than that it's all a blank

My List  

Time to reveal my #24 for the list. I'm probably the only one who voted for American Revolutionary: The Evolution of Grace Lee Boggs.

A fascinating portrait of Boggs, a Chinese college graduate from New York who moved to Chicago and started out in 1940 protesting for tenant's rights in Chicago. This would begin a long history of protesting which would shift towards black revolution and the philosophies of Malcolm X. The 1967 Detroit riots led to a turning point and an evolution of her thinking about what revolution would truly mean. It also explores her work in a Detroit community center where she continues to change minds and provoke thought in various people.

I'm probably the only one who voted for American Revolutionary: The Evolution of Grace Lee Boggs.
Thanks for sharing! Not on any of my services, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

My #24 is also one I can't imagine anyone else voted for or even considered voting for.

Tikkun is a film that moved me deeply the first time I saw it, and again on a rewatch. It's about a socially isolated religious scholar who, after a near-death experience, becomes even more alienated from the world (and physical bodies) around him. I appreciated that the people in the Group Watch 2010s thread gave it a fair shake. The overwhelming response was a polite "Meh", LOL. I don't know what I see in this one that leaves other people cold, but even though I knew it had no shot I had to acknowledge the impact it had on me.

Time to reveal my #24 for the list. I'm probably the only one who voted for American Revolutionary: The Evolution of Grace Lee Boggs.

A fascinating portrait of Boggs, a Chinese college graduate from New York who moved to Chicago and started out in 1940 protesting for tenant's rights in Chicago. This would begin a long history of protesting which would shift towards black revolution and the philosophies of Malcolm X. The 1967 Detroit riots led to a turning point and an evolution of her thinking about what revolution would truly mean. It also explores her work in a Detroit community center where she continues to change minds and provoke thought in various people.
Thanks for sharing! Not on any of my services, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

My #24 is also one I can't imagine anyone else voted for or even considered voting for.

Tikkun is a film that moved me deeply the first time I saw it, and again on a rewatch. It's about a socially isolated religious scholar who, after a near-death experience, becomes even more alienated from the world (and physical bodies) around him. I appreciated that the people in the Group Watch 2010s thread gave it a fair shake. The overwhelming response was a polite "Meh", LOL. I don't know what I see in this one that leaves other people cold, but even though I knew it had no shot I had to acknowledge the impact it had on me.
These two look like the kind of thing I might enjoy, and knowing you two, I might be right. Just added them to my watchlist.

I forgot the opening line.
8. Blade Runner 2049 - I really enjoyed watching Blade Runner 2049 when it came out, and I'm geared up for another viewing. It didn't make my list, probably because I've only seen it that once - surprising me by the very fact that this was a belated sequel, and belated sequels usually go down as well as flat beer. To have this second Blade Runner film approach the quality of the first to the point where it's also attaining a kind of 'classic' status is a heartwarming turn of events. A damn shame (especially for me) that David Bowie died before he could have a chance to play Niander Wallace, and well done to Roger Deakins, who finally won an Oscar on something like the 13th or 14th time he was nominated. That was really deserved. Also very happy to see Harrison Ford appear in something decent during the latter-day decline of his career (it's on a bit of an upsurge, so lets hope the 5th Indiana Jones film doesn't sour us on him.) Not having it as a Best Picture nominee at the Oscars was probably a mistake. One of the two best sci-fi noir films out there - the other one being the original.

I watched Spider-Man : Into the Spider-Verse last night, and it was really something.

Seen 84/93

Great to see so many people really like Climax - I didn't know how many of us were out there.

My #24 - Toni Erdmann

I have to say, I thought Toni Erdmann would make the top 100, or at the very least the top 130. One of the best films I've ever seen which examines the father/daughter bond, and it does so in such a beautifully comic way, with Winfried (Peter Simonischek) being so dedicated to getting his daughter Ines (Sandra Hüller) to live a less stress-filled misery of a life that he invents characters and basically stages a one-man Sacha Baron Cohen-type show just for her benefit. I think that's so wonderful, and this simple idea makes for a film that is so winning I love it deeply. Perhaps more people need to see it - if so, then please seek it out and watch it.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Blade Runner 2049 for this countdown, and I liked the movie, but I didn't think it was as good as the first movie.

Blade Runner 2049 was on my list, in the eighteenth position, good for eight of its 292 points. I am a ridiculously rabid fan of Blade Runner. I believe it is one of the greatest films ever made, especially the Final Cut. So when I heard they were making a belated sequel I was beyond skeptical. Especially when I heard Harrison Ford had signed on meaning they were ignoring/changing one of the key pieces from both the Director's Cut and then the Final Cut, namely that Deckard was himself a Replicant. But as cinematically angry as I was at the prospect, as soon as I heard Denis Villeneuve was helming it I became very interested. I still don't like the change in Deckard, but it does work, even if I think of it more like the best and most elaborately produced fan fiction ever created and not a direct sequel. Of course Villeneuve and Roger Deakins make it a neverending visual buffet, but Ryan Gosling is a perfect choice for this later model Blade Runner and the story of loss and birth and miracles is quite a science fiction ride. No, it is not as good as the original - truly maybe nothing ever will be. But it is remarkably successful and wonderfully crafted.

I still have three of the remaining Top Seven on my ballot. As well as three more no-shows to reveal.

HOLDEN PIKE’S LIST
2. The Tree of Life (#10)
4. Incendies (#30)
5. Take Shelter (#67)
6. The Artist (#87)
8. Silence (#43)
9. Birdman (#21)
10. The Revenant (#53)
11. The Favourite (#61)
12. A Hidden Life (DNP)
13. Hunt for the Wilderpeople (DNP)
14. Nightcrawler (#55)
15. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (#72)
16. Her (#9)
17. The Wolf of Wall Street (#11)
18. Blade Runner 2049 (#8)
19. Silver Linings Playbook (#24)
21. Room (#97)
22. True Grit (#40)
24. Get Out (#19)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Blade Runner 2049 is one I still haven't seen. I've wanted to watch the original again first but not the Director's Cut or the Final Cut. I want to see the one I saw in the theater way back when. The one that has the voice-over that makes it feel like a Sci-Fi Noir film. Don't care if Ford or Scott hated the voice-over. That's how I remember and love it. But, it's near impossible to get or watch it. I've seen it available in some places where they have something like 4 or 5 discs on the set, including the original theatrical release. I hate it when they don't give you a choice. I like that Spielberg released Close Encounters of the Third Kind on a special set with three different version including the original theatrical version that I saw several times in the theater when it was released. He did the same with E.T. the Extraterrestrial with the theatrical version and the Special Edition. In both cases I preferred the theatrical release as they are the ones I watched several times in the cinema and helped make them a hit with my hard-earned money. And the sets were very affordable.

I wish Warner Bros. would re-release the theatrical version alone on DVD or Blu-Ray, or re-release the several disc set, but lower the price. But I guess it wouldn't be cost effective to do that as I don't know many people who prefer the original. So I guess I'm not going to see the sequel as I'm hard-headed and refuse to watch it before the theatrical version.

Anyway, rant over and no vote from me.

List so far:
#2. Moonrise Kingdom #37
#4. Silver Linings Playbook #24
#5. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri #44
#6. True Grit #40
#7. Arrival #12
#9. Brooklyn No chance for it.
#10. Hell or High Water #73
#11. Zero Dark Thirty #58
#13. The Nice Guys DNP #103
#15. Edge of Tomorrow #68
#24. Gone Girl #65

I've seen Blade Runner 2049 and did enjoy it quite a bit. I think part of that was just the relief that it wasn't terrible, LOL. Interesting to see it place so high.
Yeah, same; I mean, I still don't quite love it or anything, because the pacing/tonal issues still hold it back from true greatness IMO, but my rewatch here ( https://letterboxd.com/stusmallz/fil...runner-2049/1/ ) still helped me to like it better, since I was more prepared for those issues the second time (and less bothered by them as a result), and was able to appreciate the good things about it more, like the overall overwhelming sensory experience it still provided, even on a much smaller tablet screen. Plus, I was also glad that it was a "legacyquel" that not only added some new elements into its universe, but actually made them work in tandem with the original, instead of mucking that all up, or just repeating the same basic beats, ala The Force Awakens. Anyway, speaking of 2049, did you ever get around to watching that "Blackout" short I told you about earlier, Takoma?

Blade Runner 2049 is my #20. Could've been higher, tbh.

More than a worthy followup to the 1982 classic. Great visuals!