Movie Tab II

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
it's incredibly aggressive sense of juvenile enthusiasm explains why he liked it so much.
I think that's an excellent description of it.

Pretty sure I'm forgetting something...

Airheads (Michael Lehmann, 1994)

Tales from the Darkside (John Harrison, 1990)

Creepshow 2 (Michael Gornick, 1987)

Tommy Boy (Peter Segal, 1995)

Frozen (Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee, 2013

The Witches of Eastwick (George Miller, 1987)

Pain & Gain (Michael Bay, 2013)
+
Muppets Most Wanted (James Bobin, 2014)
+

I've also been re-watching Dragon Ball episodes

This week in movies:

Masculin, Feminin (1966) by Jean-Luc Godard
+

Tropical Malady (2004) by Apichatpong Weerasethakul

Band of Outsiders (1964) by Jean-Luc Godard

Wild Strawberries (1957) by Ingmar Bergman
+

La Chinoise (1967) by Jean-Luc Godard
+

Syndromes and a Century (2006) by Apichatpong Weerasethakul

Through a Glass Darkly (1961) by Ingmar Bergman
+

Made in U.S.A. (1966) by Jean-Luc Godard
+

Winter Light (1962) by Ingmar Bergman

Nostalghia (1983) by Andrei Tarkovsky

Le Petit soldat (1963) by Jean-Luc Godard
+

Les Carabiniers (1963) by Jean-Luc Godard

The Silence (1963) by Ingmar Bergman
+

Ten Skies (2004) by James Benning
+

A Taste of Cherry (1997) by Abbas Kiarostami

A Brighter Summer Day (1991) by Edward Yang

Dog Star Man (1961-64) by Stan Brakhage

I have been happy going through Jean-Luc Godards features from 1960-1967 and now im only missing Week End from 1967, which im planning to see next week. I must say that Les Carabiniers from 1963 have been the worst for me, but it still good and worth a watch. Especially the postcard scene which is Godard at his finest.

I have also seen a lot of Bergman which has been an overall fantastic experience, especially the Trilogy of Faith, with The Silence as the best one. Its not however my favorite trilogy. That would probably be The Apu Trilogy by Satyajit Ray and The Koker Trilogy by Abbas Kiarostami.

Watching Ten Skies by James Benning on 16 mm in the cinema was the bomb. I would really like to explore some of his other movies. A Brighter Summer Day may be even better than Yi Yi and i want to se the rest of Yangs filmography at some point.

I have tried to rank Tarkovsky's movies below, but its been really hard. I would say that its a throw-up in between Andrei Rublev, Solaris and Nostalghia. They could easily change places upon a rewatch. The worst has been Ivan's Childhood, but its still top 100 material and i would probably suggest this as the first Tarkovsky movie to watch if you havent seen any.

Andrei Tarkovsky ranked from top -> bottom:

1) The Mirror (1975)
2) Stalker (1979)
3) Andrei Rublev (1966)
4) Solaris (1972)
5) Nostalghia (1983)
6) The Sacrifice (1986)
7) Ivan's Childhood (1962)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

I watched a documentary on experimental film and then several shorts afterwards. I thought some were stinkers while others were a revelation. A rewatching of Meshes of the Afternoon raised my rating from 3.

While the City Sleeps (Fritz Lang, 1956)

Conrack (Martin Ritt, 1974)

Bad Guy (Ki-duk Kim, 2001)

Free Radicals: A History of Experimental Film (Pip Chodorov, 2012)

Experimental icon Stan Brakhage
Symphonie diaganale (Viking Eggeling, 1924)
-
Free Radicals (Len Lye, 1958)

Rainbow Dance (Len Lye, 1936)

Meshes of the Afternoon (Maya Deren & Alexander Hamid, 1943)

Perhaps the creepiest image in a film which out-Lynches Lynch.
Little Stabs at Happiness (Ken Jacobs, 1960)
+ (1st sequence best)
Cassis (Jonas Mekas, 1966)
+
Notes on the Circus (Jonas Mekas, 1966)

Ghosts Before Breakfast (Hans Richter, 1928)

Dadaist wonder full of laughs and creativity.
Orchard Street (Ken Jacobs, 1955)
+
Rhythmus 21 (Hans Richter, 1921)

Symmetricks (Wade Shaw & Stan Vanderbeek, 1972)
+
Science Friction (Stan Vanderbeek, 1959)

Almost everything turns into a rocket in this space race commentary whose style influenced Terry Gilliam’s animation.
Gang Boy (Arthur Swerdloff, 1954)
-
Good Eating Habits (No Director Listed, 1951)

Frogs for Snakes (Amos Poe, 1998)

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (Brad Bird, 2011)
-

As part of his seemingly impossible mission, Tom Cruise hangs over 100 stories outside the Burj Khalifa in Dubai.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
This has to be hands down one of the greatest movie weeks ever, TokeZa!

I'm glad you liked Meshes of the Afternoon even more after a rewatch, mark f. Ghosts Before Breakfast is yet another good experimental short. Nazis wanted to destroy it as filthy unartistic movie, or something, but thankfully it survived.

Here are some shorts I've seen recently:

Земля людей [Earth of People] (1966) -

Советские игрушки [Soviet Toys] (1924) -

Киноправда №01-№05 [Kino-Pravda No. 1 to No. 5] (1922) -

Hindenburg Disaster Newsreel Footage (1937) -

And full-lenghts:

拳銃は俺のパスポート [A Colt Is My Passport]
(1967) -

A yakuza western! (or sushi western if you have to go with food) It's highly enjoyable all throughout thanks to Joe Shihido's performance and outstanding spaghetti western like score and it couldn't have a better finale. I love the title as well.

Le colt cantarono la morte e fu...tempo di massacro [Massacre Time] (1966) -

It looks like Fulci not only directed sleaze giallos and horrors, but spaghetti westerns as well. He did well with Massacre Time creating a good flick. It definitely isn't the peak of the genre, but a good representative of long Italian pasta. I really like Franco Nero.

Phantom of the Paradise (1974) -

I've recently been on De Palma binge. I was quite worried I'm not gonna like his films that don't belong to crime or horror genre, but it's been only two minutes into the movie and I was already sold. The opening song is simply wonderful and the way it's sung with backing vocals - "feels good man". It gets only better afterwards when obvious Phantom of the Opera and Faust references as well as great musical numbers take over this flick. I had a few laughs and experienced De Palma's magic again. I love how he copies other ideas and directors, namely Hitchcock, but makes some 'chanes', like that shower scene with Beef. Haha. Electrifying performance by Gerrit Graham, if you know what I mean. Was quite surprised to see Suspiria's Jessica Harper rocking out dancing and singing like a boss. I heard Rocky Horror Picture Show is similar to this, so I'm gonna give it a go sometime. PS: I'm listening to the soundtrack right now when I'm typing this.

The Untouchables (1987) -

Far from De Palma's greatest, but I still can't understand why some people hate it so much. It's entertaining and cool with some occasional funny moments. I don't like gangster film genre that much (not American gangsters, anyway), but this one was good. The Odessa stair scene is a glorious kitsch over-the-top exhibition of De Palma's style.

Il grande duello [The Grand Duel] (1972) -

Yet another display of Lee Van Cleef's badassity. I like the trio of villain brothers and the final duel. I find it funny mow many spaghetti I've seen compared to classic American westerns (like none of them).

El desperado [The Dirty Outlaws] (1967) -

Obscure spaghetti that's actually great with hypnotizing music, vengeance theme that common in the genre and a lot of violence. A must-see for every fan of the genre.

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) -

It was only 3 hours, but felt like 7 hour long Satantango, only three times worse. I thought Scorsese can't make a film worse than Goodfellas, but he proved me wrong. A disappointment. Great Di Caprio performance, though.

PS: It's true.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Let the night air cool you off

It was only 3 hours, but felt like 7 hour long Satantango

, only three times worse.

I thought Scorsese can't make a film worse than Goodfellas, but he proved me wrong.

A disappointment.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I thought Scorsese can't make a film worse than Goodfellas, but he proved me wrong. A disappointment.

It was only 3 hours, but felt like 7 hour long Satantango, only three times worse. I thought Scorsese can't make a film worse than Goodfellas, but he proved me wrong. A disappointment. Great Di Caprio performance, though.

PS: It's true.

I have no problem with that fix. There are two gangster films that are worthy of being called my favorite gangster film of all time and Goodfellas is one of them. The other one is Once Upon a Time in America. Incidentally Goodfellas ranked first on my '90s list and Once Upon a Time in America ranked first on my '80s list.

Yeah, I'm one of those guys who LOVES great gangster films.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The joke's on you, Minio.

You're missing out on one of the greatest modern gangster film experiences.