What is the nearest example you've seen to a perfect movie?

Tools    

My sister purchased the L.A. Confidential DVD ( 1997, Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce). She watched it once and gave it to me. She said it's more of a man's film. I think this film is near perfect. Outstanding. In terms of viewer interest, acting, writing, 1950's setting, story, characterization, music, etc. It just all seems to come together. Agree, disagree?

Any other votes for near perfect film?

Days Of Heaven by Terrence Malik and Starring Richard gere, one the the most visually stunning film made.

I'm checking out Days of Heaven on Wikipedia. I've always been intrigued by this film, but I keep passing it over. This must be early Richard Gere.

It's from the late 70s by the director Terrence Malick. Most definitely worth watching but will always adore the director's work Badlands more that came out a few years before.

I remember Badlands, Wasn't young Martin Sheen compared to James Dean in that film?

The Godfather is as damn near perfect a movie can get.

Check my top ten list for ten examples of films that are near perfect in my eyes. Especially 8 1/2, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Poltergeist.

Semper Fooey
Check my top ten list for ten examples of films that are near perfect in my eyes. Especially 8 1/2, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Poltergeist.
No way either of them are perfect.

Lost Ark has been so imitated since it was first released it seems a little draggy when viewed these days and has a lot of recycled action sequences from other films.

Poltergeist's ending is both predictable and way over the top.

I'll go with Dr. Strangelove, a seamless blend of black comedy and thriller, it never has a mistep and is perfectly acted by everyone.

No way either of them are perfect.

Lost Ark has been so imitated since it was first released it seems a little draggy when viewed these days and has a lot of recycled action sequences from other films.

Poltergeist's ending is both predictable and way over the top.

I'll go with Dr. Strangelove, a seamless blend of black comedy and thriller, it never has a mistep and is perfectly acted by everyone.
You lose all credibility because I named 3 movies and you commented as if I named 2!

Plus it's absurd to blame the films released after Raiders for it being not as good...

I disagree with your entire post.

No art is perfect. Because no human is perfect. Anyway back to the titular question, 'perfect' is like 'infinity'. What is the closest to 'infinity'? Who knows. Therefore, there is no near 'perfect' movie.

I would find it hard to say any movie is perfect

No art is perfect. Because no human is perfect. Anyway back to the titular question, 'perfect' is like 'infinity'. What is the closest to 'infinity'? Who knows. Therefore, there is no near 'perfect' movie.
This is why man invented "opinions". Of course there's no such thing as perfection in a film, but when I watch some of my favorite films the flaws melt away and I'm left with a warm fuzzy in my tummy.

Stop being so cynical.

EDIT: I can't believe I'm the one who typed that last sentence...