Baz Luhrmann's Australia

Tools    

Lets put a smile on that block

Baz Luhrmann is back. And he has brought Nicole Kidman with him once again. After the roaring success of Moulin Rouge some years back, this December will see the release of his next film, Australia starring Nicole Kidman (OH GOD I LOVE HER) and Hugh Jackman in what looks to be another hugely epic love story, but this time set in Luhrmann’s territory.

The story centres on Kidmans character, a British aristocrat who inherits a HUGE cattle station in the outback of Australia prior to World War II. English cattle barons then come along and mess things up, plotting to take her land. So she joins forces with rough and ready Hugh Jackman who takes her on a cattle drive hundreds of miles across the country. But then the pesky Japanese turn up and decide to bomb everything. And in the midst of all of this, she reluctantly begins to fall for Jackmans character.

By looking at the plot synospisi here it doesn’t seem like anything original. Posh snobby rich woman, has to move to grotty place where sexy man who is opposite of her is working, but she needs his help, discovers his charm, and falls in love. All against the back drop of great horror and harsh reality. BUT, this is Baz Lurhmann behind this. And as Moulin Rouge proved, this is one guy who does not stick to the norm, and judging by the trailer, this looks set to be a giant wopper of a beautifully shot, terrifically acted epic love story with just a little bit of campness.

Check out the amazing trailer HERE

Now WALL*E is out the way, this is the next big film to tug at my softy heart strings. And it looks so very good…

I saw a trailer for this before Indy 4 I think... it looks pretty damn good to me. I wish he'd make more movies.

Lets put a smile on that block
Still no interest in this huh? It's quickly beocming one of my most anticipated films in whats left of 2008. Epic love. Check out the new tv spot...

http://cdn.springboard.gorillanation.com/storage/xplayer/yo019.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="518" height="457" swliveconnect="true" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" flashvars="e=4bffc0037b3a3a49328d685cccfc7c21cc002973d57a44951a38fddf065f5c696a66be9b89ee2d2f0947d4e 15d253124c7d296b9a2a5d695fdd446d15f64f11765e48a3169f68732f2c6c70b1d8962a02723d09accafe3f4ff&width=51 8&height=457&autostart=false&allowscriptaccess=always&usefullscreen=true&autoscroll=true&thumbsinpla ylist=true&trueurl=http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Australia-TV-Spot-10353.html

I am half agony, half hope.
This looks very good. Sweeping epic, love story, and Hugh Jackman? I'm there.

Johann von Goethe

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I love movies like this. And I've been interested since the beginning when Crowe was originally attached. I was very, very disappointed he didn't do it, but, hey, Jackman is a great second choice.

And it has some great Aussie actors in it --

Bryan Brown! (I was just asking about him the other day here!)
Jack Thompson!
And David Wenham! (Faramir)

LOVE THE CAST!

BTW, the music in the trailer is from Branagh's Henry V (from the St. Crispin's Day Speech) by Patrick Doyle. I was just listening to it yesterday. Baz is using David Hirshfelder, an Aussie composer, for this. I don't know his music, but movies like this need great music.

I like the set up of the trailer with the story of "Oz." That was cute. I see imdb people are being their usual mean selves and saying it looks cheesy, etc., but I always love a good epic. I hope Baz pulls it off. And Moulin Rouge! is in my top 10.

Yea, I can't imagine I'll miss this one. I just wish Nicole hadn't done so much botox....

Baz doesn't do anything small, does he?

Anyway, love the trailer, and I actually enjoyed Moulin Rouge! (though I didn't love it). I'll probably see this, not only because my girlfriend will likely compel me to to so. Please, no mock whip-crack noises. I'm hostage only to reality.

Sorry but this does not look good at all. But then, i've had to watch the trailer 1000, so I may just be suffering from burnout. Or maybe not. Seriously though, I don't see myself watching this. I think Hugh Jackman's a charismatic actor and all but this just doesn't look like my type of film.

Unless I get a freebie or something, I can't see me seeing this film any time soon. In fact, as of this moment, I'd be suprised if I watch this when it gets it's terrestrial tv premire. It looks really, really, boooorrrrrrrriinnnnnngg. A C21st Out Of Africa. OK, maybe not that bad, but bad enough and Jackman?!?! The man is beige in human form.

A drama film with Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman with a trailer that looks wonderful? I'll be there opening night

The King of Movies
In Australia this movie is expected to be a massive hit and most people here think it will make alot of money. I doubt it will because although most people in Australia might see it, i don't think it reachs out to the world audiance.

The films budget is 180 million. Even if the movie breaks box office records in Australia, there is no way the movie will cover it's budget.

I doubt international audiances will go see this and i will be very surprised if this movie makes the top 2 movies on the box office list in the US.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I am very excited about seeing this film. I have liked all of Baz Luhrmann's films so far and it will definitely be interesting to see how different this film is to his red curtain trilogy. And I agree with others on this thread who have said Hugh Jackman adds to the film's appeal

Yeah, I'll see it. Not so sure how it'll play with a white director making a story about aboriginal issues in Australia. I know very little about the film or the country's history, but it appears like Luhrman's trying to make an Aussie equivalent of Gone With the Wind or Dances With Wolves - an historical epic rooted in his country's origin. Not sure how that'll play in the 21st Century. Then again, I've learned to never expect the expected from Baz.

I'm a fan of Nicole and Baz, so I'll watch it regardless. I remember seeing the trailer when I went to see Mamma Mia! I thought it looked good then, and I'm looking forward to finally watching it. I hope it lives up to the expectations

The movie looks good, but I don't know if it's something I would want to see.

I'm not a Moulin Rouge fan bit this looks really good...

especially Jackman...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I am half agony, half hope.
Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet?

The chemistry between the two leads looks pretty good, but then again, who wouldn't have chemistry with Hugh?

Did you know that, as of yesterday, Baz was still editing this!?! I think that he said that he had to have it done within 24 hours, as the world premire was only 6 days away.