Favorite French Movies

Tools    

My favorite French film of all-time would have to be Les Enfants du Paradis, known in the U.S. as Children of Paradise.

I may've missed it, but has this thread really hit page 2 without this film being mentioned?

Thanks for contribiuting as I haven't seen this film. Check out Queen Margot, if you haven't allready.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I definitely should have included The Girl on the Bridge; great as both a drama and a comedy.

I definitely should have included The Girl on the Bridge; great as both a drama and a comedy.
Thanks, interesting ( oh so very French ) existentialist dialogue worth checking out.
Her's one for you:

Newbie here, Mind if I jump in ?
Many of my faves have been mentioned, so I'll add:

Tous les matins du monde
Le mari de la coiffeuse
Le diner de cons
Les choristes
Viva la vie
Péril en la demeure
Un balcon sur la mer
L'artiste (of course)
La cage aux folles
Les femmes du 6e
Les ripoux
La Rivière Pourpre
Le Bossu
La rafle

Newbie here, Mind if I jump in ?
Many of my faves have been mentioned, so I'll add:

Tous les matins du monde
Le mari de la coiffeuse
Le diner de cons
Les choristes
Viva la vie
Péril en la demeure
Un balcon sur la mer
L'artiste (of course)
La cage aux folles
Les femmes du 6e
Les ripoux
La Rivière Pourpre
Le Bossu
La rafle
Thanks for that. La Cage Aux Folles wa an excellent comedy.

Three more I forgot:
Les uns et les autres
Sous le Sable and.......... Les Triplettes de Belleville

Are we talkin' France French or ANY French? Incendies and Elles étaient Cinq are Québec films

Three more I forgot:
Les uns et les autres
Sous le Sable and.......... Les Triplettes de Belleville

Are we talkin' France French or ANY French? Incendies and Elles étaient Cinq are Québec films
Any movies originaly made in French is fine. Incendies was excellent. Wonderfully strange story line with a wow! ending that leaves you speachless.

Don't know about America(I've never heard anyone from America use the term for other animations outside), but Les Triplettes de Belleville is called an animation in my world, certainly not anime - this term is connected to animations that come out of Japan.

Don't know about America(I've never heard anyone from America use the term for other animations outside), but Les Triplettes de Belleville is called an animation in my world, certainly not anime - this term is connected to animations that come out of Japan.
Ha, ha. Sorry?

I believe the point she was making is that "Anime" is a term used for Japanese animation and, therefore, has a distinctive style.

A style which isn't represented in Les Triplettes de Belleville.

Therefore, to describe Les Triplettes de Belleville as anime is incorrect.

I believe the point she was making is that "Anime" is a term used for Japanese animation and, therefore, has a distinctive style.

A style which isn't represented in Les Triplettes de Belleville.

Therefore, to describe Les Triplettes de Belleville as anime is incorrect.
Anime, animation - cartoons in motion, all the same cartoon soup to me ( no matter the style ) so I wouldn't include it on my list. When I say movies, I mean real actors and actresses, otherwise I just call them documentaries. Animation is a whole seperate category and anime would be a sub-category ( Japanese ) so from that technical aspect, you are correct but this dicussion really doesn't belong in this thread. I make my list for most people that have certain expectations and I appreciate feedback that can enrich me so I can enjoy similiar kinds of movies that I haven't allreeady seen. Not here to debate the difference between anime and animation.

Just a quick shout out for Delicatessen.

Many other of my faves have already been mentioned repeatedly. I'll think on it some more.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!