What is the nearest example you've seen to a perfect movie?

Tools    

Different films are perfect in their own ways. My picks, of course, merely reflect my favorites:

Overall film - It's a Wonderful Life
Sci-Fi film - Star Wars
Action/Adventure film - Raiders of the Lost Ark
Fantasy/Sword & Sorcerey film - The Lord of the Rings

I think "perfection" or even "nearly so" - might be a bit boring. A bit like watching the perfect woman walking down the beach and flipping her hair back and then giving you a quick teasing glance that makes you feel all warm inside.

Wait, what were we talking about again?

A system of cells interlinked
No art is perfect. Because no human is perfect. Anyway back to the titular question, 'perfect' is like 'infinity'. What is the closest to 'infinity'? Who knows. Therefore, there is no near 'perfect' movie.
Right - it's subjective material. Alas, one can make an argument for something that comes close to being technically perfect on a working level. A film like Chinatown approaches this concept. Notice I have Chinatown third in my top 10, behind both Mulholland Drive and Blade Runner, two films that are clearly and obviously more flawed, technically, than Chinatown. I like MD and Blade Runner more, personally.

That said - none of them are perfect; I don't think such a thing exists...

Although many feel it's overrated and it's not even my favorite film, I nominate "Forest Gump". I thought it had a terrific blend of comedy, emotion, nostalgia, and music. I felt that it told a complete story spanning many years and it left me totally satisfied.

I would second Gump. It has everything; humor, drama, action. It is epic in scope, yet intimate in detail. I don't see how anyone couldn't respect it.

I think it is one of the greatest American films ever made.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

This might seem like an odd choice really, but in my reviews I gave 100% to Robocop.

Special effects: Awesome. Even today when Robo takes his mask off, it makes me wonder. Rob Bottin as always, doesn't hit his mark, he makes his mark. Tippett's stop-motion animations still works today and the live puppetry is, again down to Bottin, spot on.

Story: Simple but effective. A revenge story with a cyborg and contains very dark humour, even macabre humour, heartbreak, hard hitting violent acts and almost a love story too.

Acting: Weller as Robo is fantastic. He goes from normal bloke to an emotionless machine to an emotionally torn wreck, back to an almost normal bloke again. Then there's his 'miming'. I'd like to see a modern day actor do all that in one movie.
Then there's the support around him, Miguel Ferrer, Nancy Allen, Ronny Cox and Kurtwood Smith, a top notch cast all hitting their roles hard.

Action: Gory, loud, ultraviolent and well put together. The choreography is, by today's standard, quite simple yet it work fantastically.

Hi, I'm new to the site, and it looks great.
I'm gonna check out Badlands.
I agree that Forrest Gump is probably one of the best I've ever seen.
I watch It's a wonderful Life every christmas, it's a true classic.
I like drama, action, and sci fi. Gotta have TCM I'm sure many do on a site like this.
One of my favorites is Serenity. It's sci fi but, I find it down to earth. Not perfect, but well acted/directed. Funny sad deep and heroic.

that's what she said...
As many probably wont agree, i'm going with PLEASANTVILLE (1998)

They really did a great job with this film. I'm a big fan of that old school 50's style themes and such and it was so cool how they modernized it and showed the differences with color. I liked how they had the segregation against the colored people. It was kind of realistic as to how us as a human race used to be. If someone was different/looked different from us, in the past, we naturally rejected it. I thought it was so unique and intreging. I love this movie!

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Gotta go with a tie between Paul Thomas Anderson's Boogie Nights and Martin Scorsese's GoodFellas. Both are superbly made, in the directing, writing, acting and overall production area.

Lundy, don't you think Pleasantville is extremely on the nose with it's metaphor? It just comes off so heavy handed that I almost find it to be a parody of itself. I've never really liked it because of that.

that's what she said...
Well it deff is on the nose with it's metaphor but I never viewed it in such a way that it's a parody of itself. I think that the movie really opens up the generations minds who didn't live through the slavery age and holocust age to let them see in a way how it was. I dont know how to explain what I'm trying to say, but being a kid of the 90s, I never got to experience what it was like when people were treaded unfairly because of their race or religion... Of course I learned about it in school in History and all and have seen documentaries, but this movie was brilliant in showing what segregation is all about while entertaining us through a story line with action and romance and comedy. I just thought it was a great movie. I wish you liked it more

Well, I guess it is a near-perfect anti-fascism allegory. I've always loved it but I think after seeing Pan's Labryinth, the latter feels less manipulative and contrived.

Gotta go with a tie between Paul Thomas Anderson's Boogie Nights and Martin Scorsese's GoodFellas. Both are superbly made, in the directing, writing, acting and overall production area.
Those are actually the 2 films I was thinking of along with Forest Gump. I totally agree.

I thought Pleasantville was a very worthy film to watch. To me, the theme of this movie was intolerance and non-conformity. Maybe the message was that we're always in danger of repeating the mistakes of the past if we don't remind ourselves that ignorance will always be a human weakness.

that's what she said...
I thought Pleasantville was a very worthy film to watch. To me, the theme of this movie was intolerance and non-conformity. Maybe the message was that we're always in danger of repeating the mistakes of the past if we don't remind ourselves that ignorance will always be a human weakness.
that was very well said. and interprated.

Being There is, in my eyes, perfection