October is here...

Tools    

And I have begun a month long quest to watch at least one horror movie a day. So far I have watched:

The Scream Trilogy
The Descent
Dog Soldiers
The Howling

I am planning on watching the following films:

The Thing
Suspiria
Dracula (the one with Bela Lugosi)
Alien
Friday the 13th parts 1-3
A Nightmare on Elm Street
House on Haunted Hill (with Vincent Price)
Hatchet
The Shining
Sleepaway Camp
Se7en
Now I need everyone else's help! Give me horror films I should spend the month watching! I want lots of different movies, slashers, vampire flicks, psychological, w/e.

On Halloween I will be watching both Halloween and Halloween II to cap the month off.

So what are people's suggestions?

There are a number of obvious suggestions, so I'll recommend something a little offbeat; Peter Jackson's The Frighteners. It stars Michael J. Fox as a man who can see ghosts, and uses his ability to con people. Its very impressive, visually, and for some reason I've always really enjoyed the concepts it explores.

Lost in never never land
I would recommend Frailty.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

Rosemary's Baby, Near Dark, Fright Night, Night of the Living Dead (1968)...
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

...Wait Until Dark, Don't Look Now, Angel Heart, Blue Velvet, After Hours, Spoorloos (1988), Shallow Grave, Diabolique (1955), Deliverance, Miracle Mile, House (1986), The Changeling (1980), The Innocents (1961), The Haunting (1963), The Fly (1986), Rabid, Shivers, Freaks, Jaws, Peeping Tom, The Abominable Dr. Phibes, An American Werewolf in London, Bride of Frankenstein, Phantom of the Paradise, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Shaun of the Dead, Young Frankenstein, Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein...

There are a number of obvious suggestions, so I'll recommend something a little offbeat; Peter Jackson's The Frighteners. It stars Michael J. Fox as a man who can see ghosts, and uses his ability to con people. Its very impressive, visually, and for some reason I've always really enjoyed the concepts it explores.

Thank you.... I was trying to remember the name of this one earlier...

I don't think anyone has mentioned... Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens (1922) ; Silver Bullet (1985) ; or The Lost Boys (1987)...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

And I have begun a month long quest to watch at least one horror movie a day. So far I have watched:

The Scream Trilogy
The Descent
Dog Soldiers
The Howling

I am planning on watching the following films:

The Thing
Suspiria
Dracula (the one with Bela Lugosi)
Alien
Friday the 13th parts 1-3
A Nightmare on Elm Street
House on Haunted Hill (with Vincent Price)
Hatchet
The Shining
Sleepaway Camp
Se7en
Now I need everyone else's help! Give me horror films I should spend the month watching! I want lots of different movies, slashers, vampire flicks, psychological, w/e.

On Halloween I will be watching both Halloween and Halloween II to cap the month off.

So what are people's suggestions?
If you can watch the original b/w film of The Haunting alone at night in a dark room without ever turning to check if something is creeping up on you, then you're a lot braver than me. That is absolutely the scariest movie I've ever seen, and there's not a monster in sight! Another favorite from my childhood that used to give me nightmares was Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. Even though you know Costello isn't about to get killed as the star of a comedy, the scene where Lon Chaney Jr. as the Wolfman follows the chubby comic through a seemingly empty apartment is one of the most suspenseful bits ever filmed.
My third pick from my youth is the original The Thing From Another Planet, aka The Thing. The script has some really snappy dialogue that sounds like real conversation and there are surprisingly good performances from an ensemble that seldom got beyond B movies. With James Arness making his movie debut in the title role. There's one scene when an increasingly noisy geiger counter leads the group of soliders and scientists searching for the alien monster to a large wooden bin. What happens when they fling open that bin triggered a popcorn blizzard when about 200 of us pre-teens jumped with excitement back in the 1950s,
I've recently seen on TV a series of some fun horror films from the '50s--The Creature from the Black Lagoon (originally shot in 3D), Return of the Creature, and The Creature Walks Among Us. The quality of the filmscripts taper off progressively through the series, but they're interesting to watch, especially in series.
Another fun film from the 1950s is Them! with Academy Award-winner James Whitmore and James Arness fighting giant ants. There's also an early appearance of Fess Parker. Reminds me in some ways as a serious precursor to the much later and more comic encounter with underground lifeforms in Tremors. Reba McIntire and Michael Gross were a hoot in the original film.

A fun offbeat Sci-Fi flick is It Came From Outer Space. And some of the mid-night movie fare from the 1950s included Michael Landon in I Was a Teenage Werewolf. That was followed by a forgettable cast in I Was a Teenage Frankenstein. A much better teen horror midnight show was the original The Blob with Steve McQueen in his first starring role on the Big Screen.
For more recent sci-fi, I like Mars Attacks!

Good choice, Yoda. Definitely offbeat.

You're off to a real good start with Neil Marshall's Dog Soldiers and The Descent. Those are two of my favorite horror movies in recent years.

Several people have mentioned Robert Wise's The Haunting from 1963, and with good reason. It is my all-time favorite horror film.

George Romero's Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead are both great, and would make for a good double feature. For that matter, the Dawn of the Dead remake is also quite good.

Yoda's suggestion of the very good film The Frighteners put me in mind of another double feature idea: The Frighteners and Fright Night. I don't know why, but I think they would go well together. Maybe it's because they're both scary and funny at the same time.

Speaking of scary and funny, you must include An American Werewolf In London .Classic stuff. Oh and avoid An American Werewolf In Paris at all costs. It sucks.

Awesome bunch of suggestions guys!

I'm watching The Haunting (1963) and it is good stuff...
Creeping me out.

George Romero's Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead are both great, and would make for a good double feature. For that matter, the Dawn of the Dead remake is also quite good.
That sounds like a good idea. I haven't seen any of the Dead movies so I think it is about time.

And thanks for the mention of An American Werewolf in London. I almost forgot that one. Shameful of me. And I have seen about 10 minutes of ...Werewolf in Paris on T.V. That was enough for me. It was utter crap.

Another fun film from the 1950s is Them! with Academy Award-winner James Whitmore and James Arness fighting giant ants.
I LOOOOVE Them! I've seen it about 10 times I think, the first when I was like 10.

I don't think anyone has mentioned... Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens (1922) ; Silver Bullet (1985) ; or The Lost Boys (1987)... Today 05:20 PM
I have never managed to sit through Nosferatu but Silver Bullet and The Lost Boys are both great movies... although the finale to Silver Bullet was a bit of a letdown to me.

...Wait Until Dark is a fantastic film and I love that somebody mentioned it...

You guys have already given me a good list and I look forward to seeing some of these films I haven't yet.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
That sounds like a good idea. I haven't seen any of the Dead movies so I think it is about time.
It is. I am almost jealous that you haven't seen them yet. I am sure I will be watching at least a couple of Romero flicks this month, but nothing is like the first time watching them.

I have a couple more suggestions: Hellraiser -First time I watched it scared the beejeezes out of me. The Hunger-Stars David Bowie as a vampire.

I seem to be in a minority, but I enjoyed The Others.

And Friday the 13th: Part 4 is the first good entry i'd say.
I really like Part 3! It's the one where Jason gets his hockey mask and wears it for the first time. Check out that one!

I seem to be in a minority, but I enjoyed The Others.
If you're in the minority on that, then I'm there with you. I think The Others is a good, creepy flick, with excellent performances all around.

Hey, there's another double feature idea: The Others and The Innocents from 1961 with Deborah Kerr. Hmmm...I have both of them in my library. I'll have to give that a try.

How about some horror with a dash of dark humor?
FROM DUSK TIL DAWN
GINGER SNAPS
CURDLED
MAY

and I'd strongly recommend 2 silent-era classics starring Lon Chaney:
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME.