The Guitar Guild

Tools    

Anyone have any recommendations for a first proper acoustic? I'd want an all-rounder ideally as I want to explore both strumming and fingerpicking styles. And I have my sights set on a smaller concert/folk body, as I said before the Yamaha FS830 has been tickling my fancy (great reviews and looks amazing for the money) but I'd like to at least consider some other options.

Budget anywhere up to around £350 (about $470 for US folks)
I have only ever owned one acoustic guitar which is a Yamaha Apx4. Had it for 20 years plus and have no complaints. For around £300 they are good quality.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I want to post something here but I can't think of anything to add at the moment. So in the meantime, I'll lightly procrastinate my work responsibilities for a minute or two here.

OH!
Yeah, straps are expenses I never seriously considered. Most of my life I've played seated so it wasn't ever much of a concern. The last few years, however, I've picked up one or three nice leather ones and noticed that they kinda compliment the colors of a few guitars. Be careful. That is a deceptively expensive extension of the guitar collector's flu.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I always used to practice guitar standing with a strap. Over the years I have become lazy and sat down whilst learning songs. Now playing standing up feels so foreign. It’s a whole new ball game.

You ready? You look ready.
This was the strap I was talking about: LINK.

I went ahead and called the shop today to tell them to put an extra one to the side for me. I'll put the brown one on the Alvarez, the blue one on the Peavey, and then the zodiac seat belt strap will go on whatever guitar I buy next.

And yes, I have a nice thick padded bass guitar strap, too, for the Yamaha.

I have only recently (within the last week) started practicing standing up. One, I know I need to do it if I ever want to become a touring/traveling musician. And two, I might as well be starting at square one again: I done went stoopid!

EDIT: Why do album tab books have to be so damn expensive? Pulled down the rabbit hole looking up some of my favorite albums to be met with sticker shock.

Anyone have any recommendations for a first proper acoustic? I'd want an all-rounder ideally as I want to explore both strumming and fingerpicking styles. And I have my sights set on a smaller concert/folk body, as I said before the Yamaha FS830 has been tickling my fancy (great reviews and looks amazing for the money) but I'd like to at least consider some other options.

Budget anywhere up to around £350 (about $470 for US folks)

Yamaha is really good. I have also heard good things about Pluto acoustic, though I don't know whether you lot get it there in the states.

I am regretting not spending a bit more on my first already. My acoustic is fine overall, but being cheap, there are some issues. Like the distance between the strings and the fretboard is just a touch more than normal, forcing me to put a lot more effort with my left fingers.

@John McClane I use .73 picks.

On a side note, I finally started learning chords. I had given them a shot a couple of weeks back, but I was struggling a lot. Having short fingers don't help. So I went back to working on my picking. That has improved a lot. Now I have returned to the chords. Still a beginner, but got in E, Em, Am, C. Slowly reducing my transitioning speed. Yousician is actually kinda cool.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Yo peeps thin. I use 1.0 picks. I LIKE IT THICK
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Dug up an old recording of mine. I recommend this song for black masses and burning witches. @Swan did both and still prefers Electric Wizard, the pleb.

High Goatpriest - Moon Eater Coven

https://vocaroo.com/15y5JBWMM5p5

You ready? You look ready.
Well, video evidence not withstanding, I know I’m a guitarist because I am already considering my next guitar purchase.

I’m going to try and hunt down a decently priced Peavey T series.

EDIT: if we get that stimulus check screw decently priced...I’m finding the cleanest one I can.

So I figure there are 2 types of guitar owner. One who polishes and freaks out over every mark and scratch on their guitar. Or the second who just doesn’t care and the battered the better.

I would love to own a battered looking guitar but certainly couldn’t trash my own for the hell of it.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
So I figure there are 2 types of guitar owner. One who polishes and freaks out over every mark and scratch on their guitar. Or the second who just doesn’t care and the battered the better.

I would love to own a battered looking guitar but certainly couldn’t trash my own for the hell of it.
My acoustic has a satin finish, so scratches aren’t much of an issue. I have gotten over dings and the like. Years ago I would get upset, but stuff happens.

I’m still not gonna play it all night by a campfire in the humidity of an NC summer, but we all end up with a few scars in life.

After buying it in early October and painfully waiting until Christmas, here is the new addition. I’ve always been a Gibson fan but now I’m sitting on the fence.

FSR Telecaster