The Fantasy Hall of Fame

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Kiki's Delivery Service

Kiki: We better rest here until it's dry.
Jiji: Won't we get in trouble?
Kiki: Not if nobody's finds us.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this previously on recent watches of Miyazaki films, several of which, including this one, I hadn't seen before, but I definitely have a greater appreciation for his style of storytelling than when I was much younger. When I would only appreciate the artwork only.
It's hard to describe but perhaps it has to do with being so much less cynical than I used to be back then and therefore opening up to the innocence of much of his stories.
I definitely found it to be the case here with a young witch seeking to find her own way in her own town. In fact, I was letting out a sigh of enjoyment in the very opening, seeing her laying out in the grass by the water. Those little moments that fill the world building of a Miyazaki film along with the simple lessons of hope and kindness, and allowing inspiration to find you as opposed to chasing after it.

Quite a beautiful thing, that.

Oh, and yes, gbg, the very first time Tombo makes that big smile he TOTALLY looks like Curious George. When it happened I instantly remembered your comment and let out a laugh.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this resemblance.

I love this movie! I watch it every few years around Halloween, since it takes place during that Holiday.

I usually watch it several times every year. I have it on DVD, and I watch it in reruns on TV too. And no matter how many times I've seen it, it never fails to make me cry at the end.

The trick is not minding
I usually watch it several times every year. I have it on DVD, and I watch it in reruns on TV too. And no matter how many times I've seen it, it never fails to make me cry at the end.
“I’ll be right here....”
Gets me all the time 🥺

I don't think that anyone has any personal vendettas against anyone else here, but sometimes people's opinions can subconsciously get in the way...
Interesting...but I'm not sure if I follow your meaning. Can you explain what you mean?

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Interesting...but I'm not sure if I follow your meaning. Can you explain what you mean?
I think I might know.
Without realizing it there may be a subconscious wish to be a little extra nicer and/or or express a little more enthusiasm to a closer friend.
Perhaps that may be it.

On a conscious level I will direct a closing of my review to the person nominating it a lot of times or address that individual regarding an aspect of the film, or in reference to past film nominations and the like. Making a passing remark or joke, or even talk about something I read in someone's review regarding that film.

I don't think that anyone has any personal vendettas against anyone else here, but sometimes people's opinions can subconsciously get in the way.
I think I might know.
Without realizing it there may be a subconscious wish to be a little extra nicer and/or or express a little more enthusiasm to a closer friend.
Perhaps that may be it.

Yeah, that's part of it, but it works both ways. If I know that I usually disagree with someone's reviews a lot, then when they nominate a movie in a HoF, I might subconsciously think I'm going to dislike the movie before I even watch it, and that's not fair to the person who nominated it, or to the movie itself.

Even on a personal level, there are always people who don't get along for various reasons, and in theory, that could subconsciously affect viewing a movie that they love. (If you dislike the person, subconsciously, you might not want to like their nomination either.)

On the other hand, if I know that I usually agree with someone's reviews, or if I'm good friends with someone, then subconsciously, I might want to give their movie nomination a better review.

I'm not saying that it's something that I think anyone intentionally does, or even that it actually happens at all. I'm just saying that our subconscious mind can be more powerful than we realize sometimes, so it's easier to know that my feelings for a movie are my "true" feelings if I don't look to see who nominated what movies until after I watch all the noms.

Does that make sense?

... If I know that I usually disagree with someone's reviews a lot, then when they nominate a movie in a HoF, I might subconsciously think I'm going to dislike the movie before I even watch it, and that's not fair to the person who nominated it, or to the movie itself.

Even on a personal level, there are always people who don't get along for various reasons, and in theory, that could subconsciously affect viewing a movie that they love. (If you dislike the person, subconsciously, you might not want to like their nomination either.)

On the other hand, if I know that I usually agree with someone's reviews, or if I'm good friends with someone, then subconsciously, I might want to give their movie nomination a better review.

I'm not saying that it's something that I think anyone intentionally does, or even that it actually happens at all. I'm just saying that our subconscious mind can be more powerful than we realize sometimes, so it's easier to know that my feelings for a movie are my "true" feelings if I don't look to see who nominated what movies until after I watch all the noms.

Does that make sense?
It makes sense and thanks for explaining, though I believe you might be over thinking this. My subconscious doesn't play a part in what I think of a movie, nor does it matter who nominated it. My reaction is based on what I think of a movie. At times I've loved someones nom, next time hated their nom. It just depends if a movie clicks with me or rubs me the wrong way.

Myself I like to know who nominated which movie. For me part of the fun is getting to know people's movie taste and learning why they love a particular movie or why they dislike another movie. For me the participation and getting to know people, and working together collectively in a group is what's important to me.

Excalibur

Arthur: [to Kay] Ready my knights for battle. They will ride with their king once more. I have lived through others for far too long. Lancelot carried my honor, and Guinevere, my guilt. Mordred bears my sins. My knights have fought my causes. Now, my brother, I shall be... king.

It had been so long I had forgotten just how hilariously over the top Nicol Williamson played Merlin --

Saying a lot for such a theatrical production. Now, this is not a critique but an enjoyment of Williamson's performance. His being my favorite of them all.
It was also pretty cool to see who was in this film. From Helen Mirren to Clive Swift, Patrick Stewart and Gabriel Byrne and others, some of which, at the time, were somewhat unknown presenting a fun little "Before They Were Famous" catalog.

This has been a rather unprecedented viewing in regards to my perception of a portrayal of Arthurian Legend. Insofar as the story of Arthur, Merlin and Our Gang of Knights there is the core dogma of Honor, Truth, Nobility and the Pursuit of a Pure Heart. Nearly impossible goals for everyday folk but still, truly worthwhile aspirations all the same for any willing to strive for such heights.
The treasure of such attempts do, of course, within the Legend, remain out of reach and torn asunder by the vanity of those pursuing them.
Still, I would always remain focused on that Code of Honor and cheer the heartfelt attempts and not the eventual failures of those attempts.

This time, all that I saw was the fallibility of everyone along with the inevitable ruin and self-destruction of an impractical naive notion. Or rather, how the pursuit of such goals were for fame/power and not for the actual attainment itself. Dooming it all from the get-go.

Such a cynical view is quite new and left me wondering why now.
I mean, this isn't my first Arthurian film, not by a long shot.

It could be that the fallibility is presented on a more dominate level in this version. Which, like when it comes to the portrayal of Merlin, is in no way a critique. Just a surprising viewing experience that, even as I type, the cause of which seems to elude me as the Holy Grail eluded the Knights of the Round Table.
And I am intrigued by it.

Thank you, CR, for the revisit to a beloved story and for the unique quandary that this revisit created.

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

E.T. is possibly the first movie I ever saw in theaters. At least it's the first I remember for sure. Whether I liked it or not is forgotten during these almost 38 years, but I don't think it blew me away. It probably has too little action to have done that.

When this was nominated, my initial thought was, "isn't it science fiction?" Well, it isn't. It's pure fantasy. It doesn't matter if the magical creatures come from caverns beneath the earth, other dimensions, government research facilities, or outer space on a spaceship. I find it fitting that the kids are originally speaking about a goblin. E.T. is a fairytale in a modern setting.

I didn't remember how much Stranger Things loaned from E.T. In a sense, the whole season one is a retelling of E.T., with Eleven as the "goblin". I must admit that I prefer Stranger Things over E.T., but I doubt it would exist without Spielberg's movie. Duffer brothers fixed the biggest issue of the movie by adding proper antagonists. In a way, E.T. is just a sentimentality overload, a dream where the only negative feeling is that of loss, but never malice. Even the agency hunting E.T. has ultimately good motives. Setting like that doesn't leave much room for suspense or conflict.

The story doesn't hold too well under scrutiny. Nothing about E.T. and his kind makes sense. These space-faring aliens are collecting plants near the city; they don't seem to have any security protocol; they don't have any weapons; they leave one of their's behind but return to him immediately after phoned; etc. Its logic is on par with bedtime stories for little children.

As a whole, E.T. is a somewhat hollow fairytale about the power of love and friendship. It's an easy watch, but there's nothing that gets me excited. Stranger Things does the same story much better.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Kwaidan

I liked this one. I like how the film is segmented, essentially 4 stories in one. I think my favorite is actually the one that it seems people haven't cared for much being The Woman in the Snow. Not only is it my favorite visually, I think it's the coolest story of the four. The weakest I'd say would be In a Cup of Tea. It really didn't do too much for me. Hoichi the Earless was decent but I got sick of him singing the folk song. My second favorite was then The Black Hair. Again, really good visually and a pretty creepy end to it as well. The imagery used throughout though is really pretty fantastic, especially for it's time.

Something holds it back from being a favorite, but it's definitely a film that I would want to see again and do a deeper dive into critically. While Ozu and Mizoguchi are Japanese favorites of mine I can't ignore that Kobayashi has some real talent himself. Solid nom.

E.T. is possibly the first movie I ever saw in theaters. At least it's the first I remember for sure. Whether I liked it or not is forgotten during these almost 38 years, but I don't think it blew me away. It probably has too little action to have done that.

When this was nominated, my initial thought was, "isn't it science fiction?" Well, it isn't. It's pure fantasy. It doesn't matter if the magical creatures come from caverns beneath the earth, other dimensions, government research facilities, or outer space on a spaceship. I find it fitting that the kids are originally speaking about a goblin. E.T. is a fairytale in a modern setting.

I didn't remember how much Stranger Things loaned from E.T. In a sense, the whole season one is a retelling of E.T., with Eleven as the "goblin". I must admit that I prefer Stranger Things over E.T., but I doubt it would exist without Spielberg's movie. Duffer brothers fixed the biggest issue of the movie by adding proper antagonists. In a way, E.T. is just a sentimentality overload, a dream where the only negative feeling is that of loss, but never malice. Even the agency hunting E.T. has ultimately good motives. Setting like that doesn't leave much room for suspense or conflict.

The story doesn't hold too well under scrutiny. Nothing about E.T. and his kind makes sense. These space-faring aliens are collecting plants near the city; they don't seem to have any security protocol; they don't have any weapons; they leave one of their's behind but return to him immediately after phoned; etc. Its logic is on par with bedtime stories for little children.

As a whole, E.T. is a somewhat hollow fairytale about the power of love and friendship. It's an easy watch, but there's nothing that gets me excited. Stranger Things does the same story much better.
That kind of work ethic sounds A LOT like most Data Collecting Personnel. LOL

Excalibur

This has been a rather unprecedented viewing in regards to my perception of a portrayal of Arthurian Legend...This time, all that I saw was the fallibility of everyone along with the inevitable ruin and self-destruction of an impractical naive notion. Or rather, how the pursuit of such goals were for fame/power and not for the actual attainment itself. Dooming it all from the get-go.

Such a cynical view is quite new and left me wondering why now.
I mean, this isn't my first Arthurian film, not by a long shot.
Good, you seen the light and there will be no resurrection............of Camelot. Mankind is to ****ed up to ever enter into the garden of eden and that chalice is right out of reach.

Good, you seen the light and there will be no resurrection............of Camelot. Mankind is to ****ed up to ever enter into the garden of eden and that chalice is right out of reach.
It's TRUE!
It's all so very true!!

I have tried to watch "E.T. The Extratrerrial" and "Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings". E.T. I barely made it through 20 minutes and turned it off. LOTR Fellowship a bit longer but I had just watched it in the last 6 months.

I will definitely give them another try and see where it goes.

I have tried to watch "E.T. The Extratrerrial" and "Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings". E.T. I barely made it through 20 minutes and turned it off. LOTR Fellowship a bit longer but I had just watched it in the last 6 months.

I will definitely give them another try and see where it goes.
If you just watched LOTR Fellowship only 6 months ago then you wouldn't need to watch it again (unless you wanted to).

If you just watched LOTR Fellowship only 6 months ago then you wouldn't need to watch it again (unless you wanted to).
No, it deserves a better review or a review overall.. one of the most common questions I had during the film was "How many times is Frodo going to die?" it seemed it was continuous. He is almost to death's door and then he come back, he's cured, oh wait, he's getting stabbed again.

Don't get me wrong, its an epic film with many great actors who are well known, some who are recently discovered in the American cinematic world and some from my childhood.

No, it deserves a better review or a review overall.. one of the most common questions I had during the film was "How many times is Frodo going to die?" it seemed it was continuous. He is almost to death's door and then he come back, he's cured, oh wait, he's getting stabbed again.

Don't get me wrong, its an epic film with many great actors who are well known, some who are recently discovered in the American cinematic world and some from my childhood.
I don't know why Frodo didn't just throw the ring away? I mean wasn't it lost for eons before being found?

I'll check back tomorrow, dinner time

I just started watching "Stranger Things" recently, but I'm only up to the second episode, so I haven't seen any comparisons to E.T. yet, but now I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the show.