Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Keeper of Lost Causes (2013) - 6.5/10. This was a good movie. It was probably a few inches away from being a classic or something like that. But a fun watch none the less. I saw that it had a sequel, I will try that next.
There are three more in the Department Q series (The Absent One; A Conspiracy Of Faith; The Purity Of Vengeance), I've only seen this one and the next two and for me they do dip a little each time ... though I've seen others say the exact opposite ... so definitely worth taking a look imo.

There are three more in the Department Q series (The Absent One; A Conspiracy Of Faith; The Purity Of Vengeance), I've only seen this one and the next two and for me they do dip a little each time ... though I've seen others say the exact opposite ... so definitely worth taking a look imo.
I've seen The Keeper of Lost Causes and A Conspiracy of Faith. I liked the latter more but the first one is OK too. I'd need to see the other two at some point.

I've seen The Keeper of Lost Causes and A Conspiracy of Faith. I liked the latter more but the first one is OK too. I'd need to see the other two at some point.
I’ve seen them all and they did leave a kind of half-baked impression. I felt The Absent One was the best because it maintained the most consistent narrative.

That is interesting. The ratings on IMDB go down after the first one. So not sure if there is net increase in quality. But will check it out. Cant be an excruciating experience for sure.

Yeah, I think it might have been your good self and MM (?) that I remember indicating a preference for one or more of the sequels. I'd say if you thought Keeper was ok then Absent is deffo worth a look - for me there's not that much between those two.

A short flick about a man who sits atop a pillar in the desert for the love of God. Of course the Devil shows up and tries to convince him it all for nothing but Simon's not having any of that. Has some very funny moments and Silvia Pinal as the Devil is definitely tempting. Apparently this was to be a full length feature but Bunuel ran out of cash and just kind of ended it so the ending is a little odd.

Adam and Paul (2004)

Funny and poignant story of 2 childhood Dublin friends who have become chronic drug addicts as adults. Living a hand to mouth, or in this case, hand to arm existence we see them in various scrapes trying to get some money together for a fix. Alternatively despised and pitied by those around them, they inhabit their own world where the procurement of smack is the only reason they exist. Superbly acted with some real gritty humour and some touching scenes the 2 main actors do really well.

Hell or High Water (2016)

Despite the premise is very much like a western, it doesn't feel like one to me. It's a quite basic low key crime story about coping with a seemingly unfair world. The reasoning behind the robberies seems initially like something I could root for at least a little, but as the movie goes on my sympathies for the brothers start to plummet. That moral ambiguity is good, but somehow the film doesn't really draw me in. It's pretty OK still.

Embrace of the Serpent (2015, Ciro Guerra)

This film made me think about a lot of things - our shady past and uncertain future as a civilization, slow and gradual loss of harmony with nature and of our "roots", inability to pause and think and see the forest for the trees in the crazy vortex of modern life.
Powerful and deeply spiritual.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Love Wedding Repeat (2020)

Won't rate it as I switched it off after half an hour because life is too short.

All Is True (2018)

All is almost certainly not true in this downbeat drama that speculates about Shakespeare's retirement. Good acting from good actors but it's very dull and dreary. The bit where the illiterate daughter shouts at Shakespeare that she just wanted his approval didn't ring true. Shakespeare insulting the local MP was a standout bit. Nice music; Patrick Doyle is great.

-

Unregistered User

Embrace of the Serpent (2015, Ciro Guerra)

This film made me think about a lot of things - our shady past and uncertain future as a civilization, slow and gradual loss of harmony with nature and of our "roots", inability to pause and think and see the forest for the trees in the crazy vortex of modern life.
Powerful and deeply spiritual.

Wonderful film.

THE TENANT
(1976)

First viewing. Possibly the weirdest and most frustrating movie I ever watched, and Roman Polanski is not much of an actor. I was waiting for the thrills considering it was supposed to be one of Polanski's best psychological horrors, but they never really came. The movie is gripping though, but the payoff was just not satisfying.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

THE FIRM
(1993)

Re-watch. In retrospect, a very good but imperfect legal suspense thriller starring Tom Cruise along with an incredible all-star cast.

THE FIRM
(1993)

Re-watch. In retrospect, a very good but imperfect legal suspense thriller starring Tom Cruise along with an incredible all-star cast.
What a coincidence. I watched this last night. Had seen 1 or 2 scenes before, but not the entire movie.

I agree with the review above.

Welcome to the human race...
I was in my late teens when I said that - I guess I've matured somewhat since then, but it seemed like I heard a whole bunch of his fans crapping on Akira and Miyazaki (stuff like, "Satoshi Kon's films are more mature [than Akira]," "Spirited Away is overrated. Satoshi Kon's movies are 20x more awesome," and saying, "[Kon]'s better," to someone asking if any anime director has matched Miyazaki) to the point that I decided his work must not be for me and noped away from him and his work. After one of my friends a few months back who likes a lot of the same anime I do such as Akira, Miyazaki's works and the like, talking about how amazing Tokyo Godfathers was, I guess it was enough to get me started on reconsidering my previous thoughts.
Yeah, I don't much care for that kind of elitist expression either, but I can understand the arguments - as good as Akira is, I would not argue that you can find more mature anime films than the one about a psychic teenage biker destroying Tokyo. Likewise, Kon's definitely warranted being thought of as an anime director to rival Miyazaki despite his comparatively smaller output. Still, if you liked Tokyo Godfathers then the rest of his work is definitely worth checking out - I've been meaning to revisit Paranoia Agent myself.

Just Don't Think I'll Scream -

Probably not the best time to watch a film about a guy who spent six months at home doing nothing but watching hundreds of movies, but still good.