What are you listening to while you're MoFoin' it?

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I love Christy Moore... and lucky you, I would love to see him in person... didn't know he had had a breakdown though... glad to hear he's better so maybe one day I'll catch him live...
He's been in dodgy health for quite a few years now, I guess. Years of hard living allied to a heart problem apparently but I only became aware of the extent of it during a radio interview. He mentioned stage fright and a severe writer's block too and, certainly, when you look at his more recent albums the amount of self-penned songs has deminished and when playing live now he's always accompanied by Declan Sinnott (no worries there, he's a fantastic guitarist).

I didn't know he had died.... or if I did, for some reason it didn't register...
Asbestosis from his time as a builder apparently. He was 60 or 61 I think. Any time I heard him interviewed I couldn't help but smile for Christie H seemed to be the nicest, most gentle man imaginable though unlike Christy M he was a much better songwriter than he was a singer.

He only died in December past. Rave on Christie.

Sounds like a plan to me....
To be honest, I think I'm officially past it, especially when looking at what people I know have accomplished. I think I'd be able to write a good book about hanging around more talented musicians than me, though.

Kinda like Pamela des Barres for the 90s Indie circuit.

Erm, perhaps not quite like Pamela des Barres...

Right now:

Molly Ban ~ The Chieftains & Alison Krauss

[/quote]

Geez, that Krauss girl gets around, doesn't she?

Not complaining though.

Christie Hennesy lived only a few miles away from where i was born. I used to see him alot when i was in secondary school in Tralee.

Listening to you are the girl by the man himself Christie- RIP

Whiskey In The Jar ~ Metallica

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
"Jo Jo's Jacket" by Stephen Malkmus

I've loved this song since it came out seven years ago, but today is the first time I've watched the video, which is, logically enough, a "tribute" to Yul Brynner. I hope this is a crowd pleaser.

The People's Republic of Clogher
"Jo Jo's Jacket" by Stephen Malkmus

I've loved this song since it came out seven years ago, but today is the first time I've watched the video, which is, logically enough, a "tribute" to Yul Brynner. I hope this is a crowd pleaser.
Cheers for that. I liked Pavement a lot but haven't been keeping up with what Malkmus has been doing since, if I'm honest.

Of course, they were always dismissed by snidey music critics as a Fall tribute band and, while there were some similarities (the discordancy for one) I thought they stood on their own feet.

Anyway, if you're gonna take one band for inspiration, why not take one of the best, right?

Tonight, however, I've been listening to The Decemberists' The Crane Wife. One song is particularly apt today - The Shankill Butchers.

Gerard McLaverty was, I think, the only person to have survived one of The Butchers' sickening torture odysseys and he was found dead (of natural causes) today aged just 50. Link

The way that The Decemberists sing about Ulster's most vicious paramilitary gang is uncanny (they're from Oregon, I believe) - a cautionary tale for kids. A cautionary tale indeed, for the Paisleys and McGuinnesses of this world.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Tonight, however, I've been listening to The Decemberists' The Crane Wife. One song is particularly apt today - The Shankill Butchers.
That was my favorite song on The Crane Wife. It was also the one which seemed to retain the pastoral, Picaresque sensibiities of their earlier albums, at least musically.