About the pulp fiction movie

Tools    

If anything it was that kind of film that "playful" with the medium storytelling. Not the best nor the originator, but one - whether you agree or not - that came quite refreshing.

If you looking for something deep, something underlying, three act bla bla bla; Pulp fiction isn't the kind of cinema that try to appeal for anything like that. It just want to be amused by itself.

Personally, it's one I never really cared for.
I will admit it has some great moments & scenes and an astounding cast. (It's one of those movies where I'd rather watch specific scenes again on YouTube rather than watch the whole movie again.)

It was just a meaningless movie without a proper story.
Cannot believe this guy is talking about Pulp Fiction.

Personally, it's one I never really cared for.
I will admit it has some great moments & scenes and an astounding cast. (It's one of those movies where I'd rather watch specific scenes again on YouTube rather than watch the whole movie again.)
Yeah. I have to admit that, while I liked it, I do not consider it to be "Great". A movie like that, where the film maker pulls out all the tricks in the cinematic book, seems like it demands a polarized opinion, you love it, or hate it. In my case, my personal word for it is "middle-whelming", a category it shares with Citizen Kane. I generally am not that fond of a movie that is so self-consciously tricky.

I also think the "nothing happened" criticism which hafezmg48 used is such a meaningless criticism to begin with as it means literally nothing. Things happen in every movie, really. Like, a movie which consists entirely of someone walking down a hall? Walking is something. A movie which consists entirely of someone blinking their eyes? Blinking is something as well. Something can happen in any movie as long as it depicts, well, anything. Having a movie where something happens isn't some strict designation. It's just such a naïve thing to dismiss a film with.

I also think the "nothing happened" criticism which hafezmg48 used is such a meaningless criticism
Right. Just thinking of a single scene where something definitely happened is when Mia overdosed & they had to give her the shot to revive her. It was such an hilarious scene too.

Right. Just thinking of a single scene where something definitely happened is when Mia overdosed & they had to give her the shot to revive her. It was such an hilarious scene too.
There's a lot of great sequences in Pulp Fiction, including that one. As for my favorite scene in the film, it's probably the pawn shop scene.

Anyways, as far as Tarantino goes, I think Once Upon a Time in Hollywood might actually be my favorite of his films. Or, at least, it's the one which grew on me the most.

Hi guys,

So I just saw the pulp fiction by Quentin Tarantino because I have heard so much good about it. But when you hear so much about a movie, you expect something exciting to happen, so I was constantly thinking that at some point, the story will become very exciting or so. But nothing happened! So I watched the movie which was pretty much long about 2:45 hours, and nothing happened. I mean, it was just an ordinary day for some random gangsters. Then I asked myself, what was the purpose of the movie? Did the movie want to convey a special message? But when I think more, it doesn't have any meaning. It was just a meaningless movie without a proper story. Just to show the 3 or 4 superstars together and that is it.
Pretty much the same thing happened in his latest movie "Once upon a time in Holleywood" but this movie had a beautiful message which was to refer to the death of Sharon Tate. So, Tarantino wished that the fortune would let Brad Pitt kill those terrorists so that Sharon Tate would be safe on that night. But not such backstory exists for pulp fiction.
will you leave a comment on that?
Thanks
The thing that I think makes Pulp Fiction so special is not the plot, not the events that happen (or as you believe) didn't happen, but the way the story is told. It had been done before, but this was the first commercially successful movie that told its story out of sequence. It told it out of sequence so expertly, that, after over half a dozen viewings, I still can't tell you the actual order that the events actually occurred in that movie and I'm pretty sure that was no accident. It wasn't the story itself, but the way the story was told.

Indeed, it was the non-continuitous way the story was told that made it unique, but, for me, that aspect only had impact the first time around. In re-watches, it seems like a gimmick that doesn't give the movie great re-watch quality (at lease story-wise).

Altogether, it's a film that seems more like a collection of indirectly-related sequences than a story.

Speaking of gimmicks: I was a little disappointed that Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
WARNING: "Tarantino" spoilers below
used the same gimmick as Inglorious Basterds: having fictional characters in the story change the actual outcome of history in a kind of revenge fantasy against history's bad guys.

Not that the movie was bad or anything, but before the climax, I saw what was coming and instead of being absorbed or surprised, I just kept thinking... he used this gimmick before!

Speaking of gimmicks: I was a little disappointed that Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
WARNING: "Tarantino" spoilers below
used the same gimmick as Inglorious Basterds: having fictional characters in the story change the actual outcome of history in a kind of revenge fantasy against history's bad guys.

Not that the movie was bad or anything, but before the climax, I saw what was coming and instead of being absorbed or surprised, I just kept thinking... he used this gimmick before!
(Major Spoilers for both Inglourious Basterds and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood)
WARNING: spoilers below
I think the revisionist history in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood has different thematic purposes than that which is in Inglourious Basterds, personally. While both endings are over-the-top escapist fantasies that the real world doesn't allow you to experience, the historical liberties in this film also served to provide a conclusion for Dalton's character arc. If Tate had been murdered, Dalton's future career would've been left uncertain and he might not have ever become a successful actor, but since Tate lived and the Manson family members was killed instead, Dalton's outcome was optimistic and he had a better chance of becoming a famous actor. Thematically wise, I think Dalton's character arc is at the forefront of the ending and, without the historical revisionism, it wouldn't have worked. In my opinion, the ending to this film is one of the best things Tarantino has ever done, topping the ending to Inglourious Basterds, even.

(Major Spoilers for both Inglourious Basterds and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood)
I think the revisionist history in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood has different thematic purposes than that which is in Inglourious Basterds, personally. While both endings are over-the-top escapist fantasies that the real world doesn't allow you to experience, the historical liberties in this film also served to provide a conclusion for Dalton's character arc. If Tate had been murdered, Dalton's future career would've been left uncertain and he might not have ever become a successful actor, but since Tate lived and the Manson family members was killed instead, Dalton's outcome was optimistic and he had a better chance of becoming a famous actor. Thematically wise, I think Dalton's character arc is at the forefront of the ending and, without the historical revisionism, it wouldn't have worked. In my opinion, the ending to this film is one of the best things Tarantino has ever done, topping the ending to Inglourious Basterds, even.
Also, I would say that the ending of Hollywood is superior (along with the overall film just being better) because of the way its tone constrasted with that of Basterds so strongly, since the main feeling the latter left me with was that of nihilistic self-indulgence; I mean, with Basterds, we witness
a fictional Nazi get a very mild "comeuppance" after we've already seen him help murder innocent Jewish people for a living earlier, then Pitt says the line about this being his masterpiece before the "Written And Directed By" credit, which feels like Tarantino just sucking himself off on screen about how awesome he thought his movie was (thank God he didn't end up actually playing Aldo himself like he originally planned). In the meantime, Shoshanna, the one who was actually victimized directly by Landa himself, and the most sympathetic character in the entire film by far as a result, gets suddenly killed off without ever obtaining vengeance against the man who murdered her family, or even just seeing the rest of her master plan fulfilled, which was a really frustruating decision on Tarantino's part. I mean, I get that he likes to subvert our expectations as viewers, but killing her off felt like nothing but random, empty subversion just for the sake of it, if you ask me, so, while both films dabble in alternative history, the way that Hollywood's final note struck a newfound feeling of hope with Tate welcoming the has-been onto her property (as well as into the personal orbit of her star, which is now no longer tragically cut short in the film's reality) was the most positive and humanist ending that Tarantino has made in at least a decade-and-a-half, and a welcome change from the misanthropy he often indulges in to a fault, if you ask me.

Welcome to the human race...
Ehhh....

WARNING: "Basterds/Hollywood" spoilers below
I don't know if I'd consider having a swastika carved into one's forehead with a Bowie knife to be a "very mild comeuppance", especially since it's not only painful and disfiguring but also means that Landa can never truly get to enjoy his cushy deal with the Americans due to being marked as a Nazi for life (besides, if Aldo's not allowed to kill Landa at all due to the deal then this is the only way that Landa ends up seeing any justice at all). As for Shoshanna, I felt tragedy in her death, especially when what gets her killed isn't random happenstance, but the fact that she shoots Zoller - the first time she's ever shot or killed anyone - and then is immediately overcome with regret, much as Zoller himself claimed to be at having had to shoot hundreds of soldiers. As a result, she takes the slightest amount of pity on the Nazi who has been annoying her with his lovesick advances for the whole movie - and he instantly shoots her back. That Shoshanna dies for opting to show even a hint of mercy to a Nazi even in the middle of her plan to burn hundreds of them to death is dramatic irony that is contrasted with the Basterds managing to win by never even trying to share even ground with the Nazis - Landa wants to be an ingenious chessmaster of a character (as demonstrated by his introduction with the swapping between languages) and tries to treat Aldo as a worthy opponent who respects the rules just as he does, but Aldo isn't having a bar of it and gets his revenge as soon as he is turned loose. Brutal might-makes-right messaging, perhaps, but then again these are Nazis we're talking about.

Conversely, I've seen it argued that, if Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was going to go to the trouble of creating an alternate timeline where the Manson family members who originally murdered Sharon Tate end up being the ones who get murdered instead, then Tarantino might as well have gone the whole hog and taken down Manson himself (especially since he shows up in the film anyway). As it stands, the film ends with Manson still presumably on the loose with however many other family members he has left - that's like if Basterds played out exactly the same but without Hitler attending the movie premiere at the end. A similar case could be made for Roman Polanski, though the film does take place before he committed the crimes that led him to flee the country so the presumption there is that he...might not have become a criminal in this alternate timeline? Even then, Steve McQueen has a line that implies Polanski and Tate will inevitably break up, but that just feels like Tarantino hedging his bets. The ending as is still works fine, but if the implication is that Rick Dalton meeting Tate leads to him collaborating with Polanski and having his career revived by one of the most controversial living filmmakers as a result, then that throws its own shadow over the "happy" ending (but then again that arguably feeds into the idea of it being a bittersweet ending anyway...and so on and so forth).

But nothing happened!
The exclamation mark really makes this sentence. Definitively, nothing happens in Pulp Fiction. Besides rape, murder, torture, flirtation, a drug overdose, philosophizing, social commentary, interlocking subplots, interlocking themes and a few monologues what would count as something happening? I've gotta learn about the movies you're watching, the ones where something actually happens...
what was the purpose of the movie
It's entertainment. It's purpose is to make a moment merry, to offer distraction from our workaday lives. And consider the title--it is a pulp fiction. It is bawdy, violent, colorful, implausible, an imaginative action-driven romp.

Did the movie want to convey a special message?
Iriquois covered this one quite well. However, must a film convey a special message? Must there be a moral to the story?

But when I think more, it doesn't have any meaning. It was just a meaningless movie without a proper story.
What is meaning? What is a proper story?

Pulp Fiction was a bolt from the blue. After this film, so many tried to copy it, and so many failed. 2 Days in the Valley. Get Shorty. Be Cool. How many more can we list? And how many are worth listing. If it is so easy to be Pulp Fiction, why is it so hard to copy?

Pulp Fiction was a bolt from the blue. After this film, so many tried to copy it, and so many failed. 2 Days in the Valley. Get Shorty. Be Cool. How many more can we list? And how many are worth listing. If it is so easy to be Pulp Fiction, why is it so hard to copy?
I see what you're saying here but Tarantino's films are based on copying film content from what has come before. From the gold light in the briefcase to the two fingers over the eye whilst dancing.

I’m sorry, but what does this even mean?
"It just want to be amused by itself."

For me, it means that the director directs like a guy who just got out of film school, took courses in common cinematic "devices" and puts a lot of them in a movie. Every movie has some, but some movies are like a list of gimmicks, built around a plot line. Westerns come to mind here.....take 25 plot elements (the ranch, the bank robbery, tough guy comes into town, etc), pick 6 of them and make a movie. Old time private detective stories, horror movies, etc, qualify too.

It would be interesting to do a comprehensive list of gimmicks and a list of movies with a check for each gimmick. A movie could be "amused by itself" if it's obviously built out of these moments, made with a snarky grin. People who don't recognize the devices are just not cinema-literate, or so the insiders would say.