Art Appreciation

Tools    

Gosh, I could go for hours here. I like all kinds of art & will give any kind of art a viewing.

I’ll begin with my fellow Brit - Thomas Gainsborough. His portrait of Lady Georgiana Spencer. She was an ancestor of Diana, Princess of Wales.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I'm thinking there's another thread with this topic floating around, but I cannot remember the title. Could be a few years old. Anyhoo! I've always been partial to William Turner. There's a lovely movie titled, Mr. Turner, for those interested.

And was a HUGE fan of Odd Nerdrum.

No painting in particular, just I love the texture, light, and atmosphere. Both were pretty influential when I was in college.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I love Turner.

Never come across a thread like this in the 4 years I’ve been here.

Is there really someone named Odd Nerdrum? I don’t trust you!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I love Turner.

Never come across a thread like this in the 4 years I’ve been here.

Is there really someone named Odd Nerdrum? I don’t trust you!

Ha. My bad. The thread I was thinking of was the "Show Me..." thread, bottom of page 3. I had posted those artists (and Andrew Wyeth) there in response to ...YOU!!

And Nerdrum is totally 4realz.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Many years ago, I saw an art exhibit in Washington D.C. of western paintings by G. Harvey. I fell in love with them.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Some of the art I love would get me banned here.

On the safe side, though:

A big inspiration for Yasujiro Ozu, apparently.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Love David Hockney. (There’s actually hardly any art I don’t like. But, whatever.)

Something like wassily kandinsky

Munch

Monet (Impression, sunrise)

Gogh (caffe terrace at night)

Dali (the elephants)

this ukiyo-e one

lady godiva

gallery of louvre

this in particular kinda caught me somehow
knight at the crossroad (victor vastenov)

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Some of the art I love would get me banned here.

On the safe side, though:

A big inspiration for Yasujiro Ozu, apparently.

Seen both in a Hopper exhibition a few months back

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
This is my absolute favorite painting. I can say that the picture doesn't even begin to make it justice. I've seen it on the Louvre a few years ago and it absolutely destroyed me. I was like glued to the ground with my face totally covered with tears and the only thing I could mutter on loop was "i wasn't ready for this".

Anne-Louis Girodet has a few more great paintings. Next to the Sleep of Endymion, the one I just mentioned, was this baby:

Again, the picture doesn't even begin to cover how alive the colors (especially that blue) are.

Other amazing painting but more because of its story is this portrait:

A bit of context: in the first half of the XVI century lived a man called Charles V. He was King of Spain and all the south american dominions Spain had (which was everything except for Brazil) and Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire which basically covered Central Europe. I mean Germany, Austria, netherlands and parts of italy, France, Poland, Switzerland, and a few more. He was basically the most powerful man in the world (having inclusively submitted the Pope himself to his command) and one of the most powerful men in human history.
Charles was set to marry a Portuguese princess, Isabel of Portugal, who was at the time considered extremely intelligent and cultivated and was also described as the most beautiful woman of her time. They got married without ever seeing each other, something quite common at the time. What was not common is that they actually fell in love when they met and spent 6 months of honeymoon in the Allambra, in Granada, Spain (Google the place if you don't know it, it's awesome). This would be the only vacation Charles would take during his 35 years of Emperor. After the honeymoon, because he was always traveling among his dominions, he went to Germany for quite some time and she stayed ruling over Spain on his behalf. They never stopped writing to eachother while they were apart and the letters are really touching. Around 10 years after they married, Isabel dies giving birth and Charles was totally heartbroken. He never remarries, although he was still on his 30s, and has this painting made by the great italian painter Titian who had never met Isabel but painted her from other portraits of her and a very detailed description made by the emperor himself. He takes the painting to his room where it would stay until around 10 years later when he abdicates all his power to his brother and his son and retires to a humble Monastery in Yuste, Spain. The painting was one of the few things he took with him. Charles dies in 1558, 2 years after he retired. I like to think this was the last thing he saw.

We also know that his favorite song was this, probably because it reminded him of her:

Mille regrets de vous abandonner
et d’être éloigné de votre visage amoureux.
J’ai si grand deuil et peine douloureuse
qu’on me verra vite mourir.

English Translation:

A thousand regrets of deserting you
and leaving behind your loving face,
I feel so much sadness and such painful distress,
that it seems to me my days will soon dwindle away.

And we know that because one of his musicians, Luiz de Narváez, wrote on his score "Mille Regretz, la Cancion del Imperador", which means "Mille Regretz, the song of the Emperor".

Interesting that the OP hasn’t returned to his own thread.

Btw, people, let’s always put the name of the artist. For example, who painted this?

If you like impressionism, as do I, there's a well done series on Amazon Prime about the impressionists. This painting of Monet's of course gave the movement its name.

BTW, someone asked about the Lady Godiva painting. It was by John Collier from 1898.

NB: I'm also a fan of Kandinsky, Munch and Dali.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Tim Jacobus’ Goosebumps art

Something like wassily kandinsky

Munch

Dali (the elephants)

this ukiyo-e one

lady godiva

gallery of louvre

this in particular kinda caught me somehow
knight at the crossroad (victor vastenov)

Some great works there. I especially like the Dali piece.

This is my absolute favorite painting. I can say that the picture doesn't even begin to make it justice. I've seen it on the Louvre a few years ago and it absolutely destroyed me. I was like glued to the ground with my face totally covered with tears and the only thing I could mutter on loop was "i wasn't ready for this".

Anne-Louis Girodet has a few more great paintings. Next to the Sleep of Endymion, the one I just mentioned, was this baby:

Again, the picture doesn't even begin to cover how alive the colors (especially that blue) are.

Other amazing painting but more because of its story is this portrait:

A bit of context: in the first half of the XVI century lived a man called Charles V. He was King of Spain and all the south american dominions Spain had (which was everything except for Brazil) and Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire which basically covered Central Europe. I mean Germany, Austria, netherlands and parts of italy, France, Poland, Switzerland, and a few more. He was basically the most powerful man in the world (having inclusively submitted the Pope himself to his command) and one of the most powerful men in human history.
Charles was set to marry a Portuguese princess, Isabel of Portugal, who was at the time considered extremely intelligent and cultivated and was also described as the most beautiful woman of her time. They got married without ever seeing each other, something quite common at the time. What was not common is that they actually fell in love when they met and spent 6 months of honeymoon in the Allambra, in Granada, Spain (Google the place if you don't know it, it's awesome). This would be the only vacation Charles would take during his 35 years of Emperor. After the honeymoon, because he was always traveling among his dominions, he went to Germany for quite some time and she stayed ruling over Spain on his behalf. They never stopped writing to eachother while they were apart and the letters are really touching. Around 10 years after they married, Isabel dies giving birth and Charles was totally heartbroken. He never remarries, although he was still on his 30s, and has this painting made by the great italian painter Titian who had never met Isabel but painted her from other portraits of her and a very detailed description made by the emperor himself. He takes the painting to his room where it would stay until around 10 years later when he abdicates all his power to his brother and his son and retires to a humble Monastery in Yuste, Spain. The painting was one of the few things he took with him. Charles dies in 1558, 2 years after he retired. I like to think this was the last thing he saw.

We also know that his favorite song was this, probably because it reminded him of her:

Mille regrets de vous abandonner
et d’être éloigné de votre visage amoureux.
J’ai si grand deuil et peine douloureuse
qu’on me verra vite mourir.

English Translation:

A thousand regrets of deserting you
and leaving behind your loving face,
I feel so much sadness and such painful distress,
that it seems to me my days will soon dwindle away.

And we know that because one of his musicians, Luiz de Narváez, wrote on his score "Mille Regretz, la Cancion del Imperador", which means "Mille Regretz, the song of the Emperor".

Fascinating story about Charles V. I know all about his role in 16th century European politics but never knew he was so devoted to his wife. Interesting stuff.

Some more of my favourite pieces:

Rubens, Raising of the Cross.

Titian, Assumption of the Virgin

Bernini, The ecstasy of St Teresa

Ghiberti, the Baptistry doors in Florence.

Some great works there. I especially like the Dali piece.
I've always been a big Dali fan. I don't know where you live, but if you ever get to Florida there's a Salvador Dali Museum in St. Petersburg (near Tampa). It's the largest collection of Dali's works outside of Europe. It blows one's mind to see some of his gigantic paintings in person!