61.11%
22 votes
The Exorcist
38.89%
14 votes
The Shining
36 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The Exorcist.

King was right about his assessment of the Shining in the way that Jack seems batsh*t from the opening moments. No character arc. In the book the reader has time to get to know (and like) Jack prior to being batsh*t.

In the end though they're both sort of the same thing - something alien within. In the Exorcist it's literal and in the Shining it's a fear of what really might lie inside - given the opportunity to present itself.

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
I'd have to say the Shining. There's just something alot more sinister about the isolation with the disturbing soundtrack than an outright demon.
I do agree that the Shining is far more sinister. But as far as an emotionally compelling story goes, I feel that the Shining has nothing over the Exorcist.

I do agree that the Shining is far more sinister. But as far as an emotionally compelling story goes, I feel that the Shining has nothing over the Exorcist.
Both movies have tons of different aspects that you could say makes one better than the other.

-The Shining is more sinister.
-The Exorcist is more shocking.
-etc. etc.

For me they are easily the two best pure horror films ever made. I give The Exorcist a slight edge, at least in its original form. No spiderwalk BS.