Is anybody annoyed by this?

Tools    

You're/ Your

Female assassin extraordinaire.
yes. i'm a writer. but alas, the older i get and the less i pay attention, the more i make that mistake. and ...

they're / their
whose / who's
etc

there's a frog in my snake oil
Theirs nothing wrong with it!

(But **** that, have you seen text speak these days? PhD's are gonna be written in spat-out alphabet soup by the 2050s )

Wth? You must have been pwned nword, imho this is silly so I am brb and roflmao thinking uh yeh wth does mo count?

If you roll back in here with a disconnected arse there'll be trouble young man!

Originally Posted by thmilin
yes. i'm a writer. but alas, the older i get and the less i pay attention, the more i make that mistake. and ...

they're / their
whose / who's
etc
Same here, I spend as much or more time proofreading as I do writing nowadays. My spelling has improved greatly, but I still make common mistakes like this and I still can't seem to wrap my head around "their"... I before e except after c...something about neighbor and weigh...

Thank the heavens for in-line spellchecking!
"You have to believe in God before you can say there are things that man was not meant to know. I don't think there's anything man wasn't meant to know. There are just some stupid things that people shouldn't do." -David Cronenberg

Don't forget to/too.

For my money, though, using "u" and "r" instead of "you" and "are" is the most annoying, even though it's shorthand and not exactly a mistake.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Don't forget to/too.

For my money, though, using "u" and "r" instead of "you" and "are" is the most annoying, even though it's shorthand and not exactly a mistake.
Whenever someone uses that kind of shorthand in a text message to me, I can't help but think that I'm conversing with a yat.

7thson totally cracked me up ... that's how the kids in hawaii write AND talk, so good luck trying to understand them ...

Bah, i have to wade through a lot of that stuff for one of my jobs. Here's some darling examples:

[Dating advice]
dnt wuri!! if u dnt fl lyk u cn tel im atm den dnt bt u wil kno wen da ryt tym iz! n if ez ur m8 dn e shud b fyn wit ya!! especiali if e flz da sm way!!! luv me xxxx

[Smoking advice]
say she'll die and luk lyk cournty love if she duznt stop

[Pregnancy advice]
SHE COULD USE THE MORNING AFTER PILL IF SHE FORGOT TO USE CONTRAPTION SHOULDN'T SHE!!!

And one of my all-time favourites:

[Religion/Science advice]
Las year i lernt al bout how da world waz made an mi clas focusd on 2 main theories.

1. The 1 u alredy no ( God made da world in a week )

2. Da big bang theory scientists b levd dat a huge explosion pushed evryhing outwards an kild da dinos!

bi da way im a christian 2!!!
hope i helpd!!!!

Whoa there Julien. Go chill with a nice Sandler flick or something whydontcha?

i think he was joking. his spelling of asinine leaves much to be desired.

Lets put a smile on that block
Oh dear Jrs, why don't you open up your gloomy brain and let a little frivolity in once in a while.

Originally Posted by Equilibrium
Whenever someone uses that kind of shorthand in a text message to me, I can't help but think that I'm conversing with a yat.
OMG I am a yat

I tend to avoid shorthand and I get s*** for it often. I prefer the English language as it is but am not averse to using the occasional LOL or ROFL. It doesn't annoy me when someone else does, just when they give me hell for not using it.

Originally Posted by jrs
I did spell the word wrong, but I sure am not joking.
no worries. as long as you know that by

1) reading past the first post and
2) posting any response you are
3) a proud participant in said asininity.