Let's talk about David Lynch

Tools    

Duplicate Account (locked)
Yes, I think that some of Lynch's films contain surrealistic segments, but I don't think of Lynch as a surrealist film maker. I haven't seen his Eraserhead (1977), which may be a surrealist film.

IMO the work I've seen of Lynch's is better classed as "magic realism"-- a style which is basically realism but containing instances of unreality or fantasy: oftentimes illusory or bizarre, but not dream-like.

I don't have knowledge of any contemporary surrealist filmmakers, although there may be some. In the heyday of the surrealist movement there were films by Bunuel, Cocteau, and Dali. L'Age d'Or by Bunuel/Dali is evidently a prime example, although I've not seen it.

Arguably these two styles can overlap, but to me surrealism is more dream like, as in film sequences in Spellbound (1945), Rosemary's Baby (1968), and 8 1/2 (1963).

I always tend to the think that Dali was pre-film, but i think i keep mixing him up with Picasso unconsciously, who was actually pre-film.

EDIT: Nvm...was actually from the perfect period to be a film maker, i notice that sometimes i tend lump all the categories together in my head, hahaha, there's so many categories!

Duplicate Account (locked)
I watched eraserhead again last night...I have no idea why I thought it was boring the first time, I now think its possibly the best david lynch movie

Give Lost Highway a try. It takes several viewings to figure out what is going on in the movie. The movie itself is a mystery. I feel confident that I know what is going on, but I watched it several times to do so. If you watch it let me know. It would be cool to discuss it

I just looked at David Lynch's directorial filmography, he doesn't really have that many feature length films that he's done if you don't count documentaries. I'm impressed with this auteur film making style, but not always onboard with the more far out stuff.

This what I seen:

Mulholland Drive...I was totally into this except I felt it went too far afield into Lynican territory. I prefer my films a bit more restrained in execution. CR's review of Mulholland Drive.

The Straight Story...A wonderfully conventional and humanistic story proving Lynch really can master various styles of film making. I didn't review it but I was impressed.

Blue Velvet...I seen this so long ago I don't remember a thing about it.

Dune...I don't care what Lynch says about his movie, I am a fan of his Dune...CR's review of Dune

The Elephant Man...A triumph of film making and story telling...CR's review of The Elephant Man

Eraserhead...A master piece and I do believe I'm the only person who understood it Seriously and I didn't even read any online interruptions. Read my review and decide for yourself...CR's review of Eraserhead

Still need to see four of his films (Dune, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, Lost Highway, and Inland Empire) but based on the other six I've seen, I'm a fan. I should probably owe a rewatch to Blue Velvet cause I really haven't seen it in 20 years, but the others I've seen all range from pretty good to masterpieces; especially Eraserhead and Mulholland Drive.

If you or anyone are interested, I dedicated one episode of my podcast to one scene of Mulholland Drive, so feel free to go to my signature and check it out. Hope I'm not banned for the shameless self-promotion

A system of cells interlinked
Still need to see four of his films (Dune, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, Lost Highway, and Inland Empire) but based on the other six I've seen, I'm a fan. I should probably owe a rewatch to Blue Velvet cause I really haven't seen it in 20 years, but the others I've seen all range from pretty good to masterpieces; especially Eraserhead and Mulholland Drive.

If you or anyone are interested, I dedicated one episode of my podcast to one scene of Mulholland Drive, so feel free to go to my signature and check it out. Hope I'm not banned for the shameless self-promotion
I must have missed that episode. Will check it out later today!

Just about done with it already

Also: enjoy your coffee!
Just about done with it already

Thanks