Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It's very good, but I like O Lucky Man! better.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

[quote=Takoma11;2100548

Just wondering. It's one of my favorite witchcraft/with hunt films.[/QUOTE]

I have the Criterion copy.

One of my favorites is Tulen Morsian from 2016 but I do enjoy others.

I have the Criterion copy.
Nice. I'm jealous!

One of my favorites is Tulen Morsian from 2016 but I do enjoy others.
That's funny--I hadn't heard of it and then just a month ago someone recommended it to me and said they thought I'd really like it. I had been waiting for it to pop up somewhere streaming, but it just dropped down to being a $1 rental on Amazon. . .

Good recommendation. Thinking I'd seen it, I started it last night, but I hadn't recalled watching it before. It pretty much covers all the highlights of Spielberg's life and films, which has been an incredible ride. He's one of the best directors of all time.

I personally could have done with more about the mechanics and production of his movies. Although there was much of that, there were equal amounts of private stuff: religion, family, marriages, children, and the like.

One gets their money's worth, at 2-1/2 hours. It's a very enjoyable and illuminating bio/doc.

I, too would have preferred more interviews with people who worked with him and less footage from the films, way too much footage of film we've all seen a million times. And it had no business being 2 1/2 hours long.

Nice. I'm jealous!

That's funny--I hadn't heard of it and then just a month ago someone recommended it to me and said they thought I'd really like it. I had been waiting for it to pop up somewhere streaming, but it just dropped down to being a $1 rental on Amazon. . .
I know many scandiavian films. Its what I enjoy most.

De Behandeling
(2014)
3.75/5

This is a great Dutch Euro crime film. It may not be for everyone as the premise of the film can be considered a sensitive topic.

Harjunpää & Pahan Pappi will always be my favorite but this is running 2nd compared to the rest of the Euro crimes I have seen.

Guns Akimbo (2020, first viewing)

If it seems like my ratings are sometimes a bit generous, that's partly because I often rate films kind of relative to what I'm expecting from them.

This is a movie about a keyboard warrior who ticks off the wrong people and wakes up with guns literally bolted to both of his hands and forced into a viral real-world video game in which he must kill a psychopathic woman called Nix before she offs him.

I quite like Daniel Radcliffe, and specifically I think that he's pretty funny. This film plays to his strengths of physical comedy and line delivery, whether it's him trying to put on on a pair of pants with the guns in his hands or the innocent enthusiasm in the way he says "Yay!" when Nix tells a gang "No one kills him."

Likewise, Samara Weaving leans fully into her role as Nix, someone who is extremely damaged and extremely dangerous. She's a high energy character, but her gonzo personally is a nice counter-balance to Radcliffe's panicking character.

The whole film is very, for lack of a better words, cutesy. It's brightly colored and intentionally shoots scenes at strange or swirling camera angles. It repeatedly plays with action movie tropes, such as when Radcliffe defiantly tries to spit blood into an enemy's face, only for the blood to land on his own face.

This movie is the ultimate twinkie film. It's sugary and empty (don't think too hard about the premise!), but fun while it lasts.

Hostiles - 2017

Need some time to process this one. Bale is aces in this role, sort of criminal he wasn't nominated. The whole cast is really good. I enjoyed that the movie seemed to justify both perspectives of the Native American and American soldiers. Shows brutality both ways. The strength of the film is it never gets preachy, which is becoming the downfall of Hollywood itself. I don't think you make good art when it becomes heavy handily preachy.

The story itself keeps you very invested as they make their journey from New Mexico to Montana. It is pretty brutal to watch at moments. You have to take a huge breathe after the first scene which is pretty hard to watch but sets the tone of the flick. Rosamand Pike's character adds a bit of a wrinkle to the proceedings which gives it an added interest. The movie itself I think boils down to finding common humanity even with people you dislike. It's a nice sentiment, especially in today's climate. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did. I thought the body count was a bit much, seems like every turn they were in danger. I suppose it was really that dangerous, but with as big a group as they had maybe it wouldn't have been as dangerous as they made it seem. But that's just nitpicking probably. I can also see people being split on the end but I was quite satisfied with it. I can see it aging badly but I won't go into it to spoil it. Worth wild watch.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

City of Ghosts (Matt Dillon, 2002)
6/10
Story of a Junkie AKA Gringo (Lech Kowalski, 1985)
5/10
Space Captain: Captain of Space! (Jeremy Mather & Lindsey Sproul, 2014)
6/10
Sleeping Dogs (Roger Donaldson, 1977)
6/10

Framed New Zealand revolutionary Sam Neill tries ti keep one step ahead of those looking for him.
Diamonds of the Night (Jan Nemec, 1964)
6/10
Silhouette (Mitch McLeod, 2019)
5/10
The Bone Box (Luke Genton, 2020)
.5.5/10
Zombi Child (Bertrand Bonello, 2019)
6/10

At a French boarding school, a voodoo ceremony has some unforeseen ramifications.
The Owls (Cheryl Dunye, 2010)
5/10
Politics (Charles F. Riesner, 1931)
6/10
The Show Must Go On: The Queen + Adam Lambert Story (Christopher Bird & Simon Lupton, 2019)
6.5/10
Water Lilies (Céline Sciamma, 2007)
6/10

French teenagers undergo the pangs of first love.
She Loved a Fireman (John Farrow, 1937)
6/10
Luminous Motion (Bette Gordon, 1998)
5.5/10
Down There (Chantal Akerman, 2006)
5/10
The Day After I'm Gone (Nimrod Eldar, 2019)
6/10

In Israel, a Jewish father has to decide whether his daughter has the right to end her life.
Good Boy (Tyler MacIntyre, 2020)
6/10
7500 (Patrick Vollrath, 2019)
6/10
Force of Nature (Michael Polish, 2020)
6/10
You Should Have Left (David Koepp, 2020)
6/10

On a vacation, a family is haunted by the nightmares of the father (Kevin Bacon).

1st Re-watch...I didn't think it was possible but this movie was even more powerful than the first time I saw it. What really came through for me during this re-watch was the masterful direction by Todd Phillips. His recreation of 1970's New York is en pointe not to mention his skill at creating onscreen suspense...I mean, Hitchcock-calibre suspense...watch the scene in the subway with the three guys or Joker's appearance on the Murray Franklin Show...even knowing what was going to happen, I was literally holding my breath during both of these scenes. Bong Joon Ho definitely deserved the Best Director Oscar for Parasite but Phillips definitely would have been my second choice for the award. And what can be said about Joaquin Phoenix that hasn't already been said? A post graduate acting course in one performance...one of the most richly deserved Outstanding Lead Actor winners ever.

I wrote an angry tirade in reaction to not the movie specifically, but to the bleak reality we live in currently which mirrors a lot of the film's aspects. But I scrapped it and just decided to give it a rating. I don't want to stir up any hornet nests, especially in sensitive times like this.

But damn, it's a real hard-hitting movie with frank truths about America both in the '60s and today, albeit using speculative facts.

Can't believe he only got a f***ing fine of $5,000.

The Panic in Needle Park (1971)

Gritty drama about the ill effects of drugs. In microcosm about a couple but also wider in their group of friends that frequent said Park. It's low-key, it's realistic and it's pretty much a bummer. The performances are note perfect. Pacino as Bobby and Kitty Win (what happened to her?) as his GF are excellent.

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

The Doll 6/10 - Had some good bits. Indonesion horror movie with English subtitles. The Doll 2 . . . I turned it off after first 10 minutes. I don't like seeing kids getting hurt in movies. Especially horror movies. Totally unnecessary in any kind of movies.