Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

American Assassin 2017

Took a while to get round to this and though familiar in some ways, it was pleasantly so and does what it does really well, I found it a solid and enjoyable action thriller from start to finish

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Open Range (2003)

+

I'm glad for the westerns countdown and Miss Vicky because otherwise I was never interested in this. I know Kevin Costner directed a bomb with The Postman, but he should have directed more than 3 movies because he's got a good touch. Him and Robert Duvall are excellent in the lead roles, and there's a nice supporting cast including Annette Bening. There's a prolonged shootout at the end that's one of the best I've ever seen. This was a nice surprise and it's a legit contender for my westerns list.

@cricket

Glad you liked it. I've been a fan of Costner since I was a kid so I'm a bit biased, but it really is a very well made film. I'll be very disappointed if it doesn't make the countdown.

Annnihilation (2018)

This movie has flaws, but it still f***s with my head so much. The premise is pretty mind-opening, and the movie does a good job of carrying into other aspects of the world they introduce. I watched this on DVD, and the music score was noticeably different than the version in theaters. I read that they intentionally changed it to reduce the 'synth' sounds, but I actually find it disappointing they decided on this modification....

A weird one. Not sure I like it but I can appreciate the effort. Two girls on the run from the law go to their old, psycho, childhood friends mansion to hide out/rob her but while there they are forced to play the nutso's favorite childhood game - some kind of Mommy/ Doctor/ Sick Child thing (who doesn't remember that one?). It's pretty bizarre. The ending - not a fan. Kind of gruesome w/o being gory (there's a bit of splatter but no REAL graphic stuff). Some interesting stuff here just missing a little flow.

Huge fan of Shia. Interesting movie written by him based on his relationship with his father. Noah Jupe, an excellent British actor, plays Shia as a child & Shia plays his own father. Flawed movie, but worth seeing.

A Serious Man: 7/10

Knives Out (2019)

During a rather lackluster Holiday season of film releases we were treated to a good old fashioned whodunit murder mystery ala Agatha Christie. Written and directed by Rian Johnson (Brick, Looper, Breaking Bad), the setting is in a 19th Century Massachusetts mansion, where it’s patriarch and popular novelist owner is murdered on his 85th birthday, following a birthday party attended by his entire family and staff.

The ensemble cast includes Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Michael Shannon, Jamie Lee Curtis, Don Johnson, Ana de Armas, and Christopher Plummer, who all turn in memorable performances. Of special note is Daniel Craig (007) as a famous Poirot-like detective who plays against type with a creditable southern plantation accent; and Chris Evans (Captain America) as a caddish playboy.

Films of this type can veer into either farce or incoherent complexity, but in this case the picture stays on track and holds one’s interest for its entire 130 minute run time. The story is both inventive and light hearted while avoiding triteness. It’s abundanat twists and turns are believable: a Charlie Chan/Sherlock Holmes mystery wrapped up in a very pleasing PG-13 production.

It’s surprising that this solid little film had only one Oscar nomination: Best Original Screenplay, which it certainly deserved. Looking back, Knives Out was surely as good as most of the pictures who were nominated. It received high praise from both critics and audiences, often being placed in the year’s 10 best. If you like whodunits, this is a good one to see.

Doc’s rating: 8/10

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Beyond White Space (Ken Locsmandi, 2018)
- 5/10
Warsaw Bridge (Pere Portabella, 1989)
6/10
Tarzan (Reinhard Klooss, 2013)
5/10
The Death of Dick Long (Daniel Scheinert, 2019)
6/10

... and maybe even the horse's dick.
Everfall (John Kissack, 2017)
+ 4.5/10
Hotel Artemis (Drew Pearce, 2018)
6/10
Whitney: Can I Be Me (Nick Broomfield & Rudi Dolezal, 2017)
6.5/10
Mortal Engines (Christian Rivers, 2018)
6/10

Sci-fi epic isn't boring but feels regurgitated.
7 Days in Entebbe (José Padilha, 2018)
6/10
The Cave (Feras Fayyad, 2019)
6.5/10
Just Charlie (Rebekah Fortune, 2017)
6/10
The Russian Bride (Michael S. Ojeda, 2019)
5/10

I'd get the hell out of there if I had to deal with crazy Corbin Bernsen.
The Changeover (Miranda Harcourt & Stuart McKenzie, 2017)
- 5.5/10
El Chicano (Ben Hernandez Bray, 2018)
5/10
Sea of Shadows (Richard Ladkani , 2019)
+ 6.5/10
The Nun (Corin Hardy, 2018)
+ 5/10

Don't trust this nun.
Burden of Love (Yûzô Kawashima, 1955)
6.5/10
The White King (Alex Helfrecht & Jörg Tittel, 2016)
+ 5/10
Angel of Mine (Kim Farrant, 2019)
6/10
Our House (Anthony Scott Burns, 2018)
+ 5/10

That's the last normal thing you'll do when your invention kicks in.

These movies look great, I love classic movies too, even though we watch old movies over and over again, we don't get bored.

Is that a remake of Refn's film?
It gets described as a remake, but also as a third film in a trilogy. I haven't seen the original so I'm not sure. I didn't realise it wasn't the original until after I saw it.

It gets described as a remake, but also as a third film in a trilogy. I haven't seen the original so I'm not sure. I didn't realise it wasn't the original until after I saw it.
That poster is a bit naughty. It says "from the director of Drive". But this Pusher (2012) film isn't directed by him.

The original is quite good. Although nowhere near Refn's best.