Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Proposition 2005 Directed by John Hillcoat

"You can never get your fill of nature..To be surrounded by it is to be stilled. It salves the heart. The mountains, the trees, the endless plains. The moon, the myriad of stars. Every man can be made quiet and complete. Even the lowliest misanthrope or the wretchedest sinners."
+

Dead Man 1995 Directed by Jim Jarmusch

+

Jumanji: The Next Level

You have to take your hat off to the Jumanji films for pulling off an entertaining mix of adventure and humour with broad appeal that doesn't take itself too seriously.

[/quote]

Yes I just have no idea why they are called Jumanji.
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Nacho Libre: 7/10.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Beyond the Edge (Aleksandr Boguslavskiy & Francesco Cinquemani 2018)
+ 5/10
Hair Love (3 Directors, 2019)
6.5/10
Surviving the Wild (Patrick Alessandrin, 2018)
5/10
Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made (Tom McCarthy, 2020
6/10

11-year-old Winslow Fegley gets in trouble at school but uses his imaginary polar bear to investigate his way out of it.
Midnight Traveler (Hassan Fazili, 2019)
6/10
Uppity: The Willy T. Ribbs Story (Nate Adams & Adam Carolla, 2020)
+ 6.5/10
Mercy, the Mummy Mumbled (R.G. Phillips, 1918)
5/10
Horse Girl (Jeff Baena, 2020)
6/10

Alison Brie believes she'a a literal clone of her grandmother and that aliens from a TV show may be coming to return her to her home world.
John G. Avildsen: King of the Underdogs (Derek Wayne Johnson, 2017)
6.5/10
No Man's Woman (Franklin Adreon, 1955)
6/10
The Belle Starr Story (Nathan Wich [Piero Cristofani & Lina Wertmüller], 1968)
5/10
Honey Boy (Alma Har'el, 2019)
5.5/10

Abusive Shia LaBeouf takes advantage of his TV star son Noah Jupe who's learning behavior which will affect him in the future.
Sergio (Greg Barker, 2009)
6.5/10
#cats_the_mewvie (Michael Margolis, 2020)
+ 6/10
Kin (Jonathan Baker & Josh Baker , 2018)
+ 5/10
Cloak & Dagger (Richard Franklin 1984)
7/10

Twisty thriller about a kid (Henry Thomas) who's aided by a video game character (Dabney Coleman) and his neighbor (Christina Nigra) to survive assassins and spies.
Paradise (Andrey Konchalovskiy, 2016)
6/10
Puerto Ricans in Paris (Ian Edelman, 2015)
5/10
Roller Dreams (Kate Hickey, 2017)
6.5/10
Come to Daddy (Ant Timpson, (2019)
6/10

A WTF thriller about family and utter craziness with Elijah Wood.

@markf: Before this you posted 3 days ago, so it's impressive that you can watch so many films in so little time. This also tells me you have an above average passion for film.

John Ford, 1955

One of my John Ford's personal favorites, don't see a reason for rating this one. One of the most beautiful crafted pieces, thoughts in the history of cinema about lost and death, actually, this was the film that made me take a second look at that period.

Decided to re-watch this film to contemplate the magnitude, greatness of what was done in the mid/late 50's, a truly great period, and to compare it with the pitches, this constant statements for effect that are made today; thinking about the last night oscars here, is really overwhelming sometimes, sad really, not in terms of personal taste, more in terms of creativity and originality and... personal space, intimacy.

Michael Haneke, 2012

I think it lacks depth, didn't convey emotion effectively, it was certainly appreciated since it has no soundtrack, which can be a good thing, actually can be a statement of the filmmaker, his ability of expression without resorting to other sensorial distractions. More backstory could fill the gaps, a photo album and children's stories weren't enough, for me at least, which I don't consider to be absolutely necessary as well, more backstory, in the right hand I mean. Very strong title, conjugated with being French, in the hands of someone else could be something phenomenal, masterpiece actually, more poetic at least.

Michael Haneke, 2012

I think it lacks depth, didn't convey emotion effectively, it was certainly appreciated since it has no soundtrack, which can be a good thing, actually can be a statement of the filmmaker, his ability of expression without resorting to distractions. More backstory could fill the gaps, a photo album and children's stories weren't enough, for me at least, which I don't consider to be absolutely necessary as well, more backstory, in the right hand I mean. Very strong title, conjugated with being French, in the hands of someone else could be something phenomenal, masterpiece actually, more poetic at least.
Booooooo.

It's one of the best films I've ever seen. Devastating.

I know it's not a popular opinion. Just saw it last night actually, fresh in my mind. It's one of those I don't see changing in the future, but lets see. I see the point, that's already a problem, I don't think cinema should be made to be understandable, more like a author gift to us, I agree with the point, I just think it was badly transmitted, and since it's a strong subject, that's my rating.

Perhaps my judgment is based on the current scenario that we are facing in Portugal. We have a ratio of one of the most elderly populations in the world, just behind Japan, I think, and this (the story of the film) is becoming something very common, which is also very common is violence against women, something that the authorities are unable to stop. Therefore, our news on TV are practically just "Man kills women in ...". We came from a very religious stigma, very old testament like, trivial mindset. To make such a film, it must not be a mere representation of an event, and I think this film was just that, and that is not a bad thing, it is maybe a vision that many people have not yet thought of.

This is a pretty good slasher pic. The body count isn't insanely high nor is it very gory but it's different and pretty well done even if the twist is obvious from a mile away.

This is a Spaghetti Western. A woman's husband is hung in front of her by some greedy dudes looking to take over their land. So she hires a gunfighter to get some revenge. The revenge scheme is a little different than we usually get which is kind of what makes a routine story a bit more interesting. Some nice cinematography in this one.

Gangster Squad (2013)

Where to start, great cast, awful dialogue, poor characterization (why bother with the Anthony Mackie charchter for instance?} a real mess.

Sean Penn plays this like he thinks he's a Batman villain whether miscasting or misdirecting...who knows?!

Risible stuff.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Emerald Run (Eric Etebari, 2020)

A husband and father, reeling from the loss of his best friend and his daughter's health scare, takes a task for his father-in-law that ultimately becomes a journey of self-discovery and faith. A good indie meshing of Faith-based film and desert heist film with an ensemble cast with Witchblade co-stars David Chokachi and Yancy Butler as the main protagonist and his religious wife along with Chris Mulkey, Michael Pare, Steven Williams, and Vernon Wells in pivotal supporting roles. The director, Eric Etebari, also appeared in a major role on Witchblade during its 2000-2002 run and made the most of his budget and had a jaw-dropping twist at the end.

Agramon's Gate (Harley Wallen, 2020)

This is the 3rd film I've seen from indie director and actor Harley Wallen and the one thing I love about his films is his constant use of twists that keep the viewer intrigued and this film, about a malevolent spirit that has arrived via a seance and makes life hell for a couple and their friends, this one is quite good with its slow tension and scares until the final 15 minutes just unleashes the terror.

What Richard Did (2012)

Early outing for Jack Reynor as a narcissistic young man between school and university in an affluent area of Dublin. Things start going wrong when he falls for the GF of one of his rugby chums and get's intensely jealous/suspicious of their on-going relationship.

Sub-titles deffo required for this low-budget offering based on a true story. Well acted but misses a really strong 3rd act and fiffles out somewhat.

“I was cured, all right!”
Just occurred to me that Steve McQueen would have loved this movie. If he were still alive, no doubt a small cameo would have been found for him.
It's funny that you say that. During the final sequence of Le Mans, I said to my girlfriend: I wish McQueen were alive to be in this film.

Bad Day at Black Rock 1955 Directed by John Sturges

The 97% critic rating at rottentomatoes might have raised my expectations a bit too high.
Still very solid little Film-Noir meets Western.

+