Which body of work is more interesting
62.50%
10 votes
Christopher Nolan
37.50%
6 votes
James Cameron
16 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Which director do you like more? After seeing how the Fincher comparison went, decided to post this as both are blockbuster directors with different style and ambition.

It's a close one but I am going with Nolan due to the Batman films and Inception, and his various genres and mix of soundtrack, acting and spectacle films other than the tighter stories like Memento and Prestige.

I really wouldn't know who to put above the other...
  1. NOLAN - Memento
  2. CAMERON - The Terminator
  3. CAMERON - Aliens
  4. NOLAN - The Prestige
  5. CAMERON - Terminator 2: Judgment Day
  6. CAMERON - Titanic
  7. NOLAN - Following
  8. CAMERON - True Lies
  9. NOLAN - Inception
  10. NOLAN - Insomnia
  11. NOLAN - The Dark Knight
  12. CAMERON - The Abyss
  13. NOLAN - Batman Begins
  14. CAMERON - Avatar
  15. NOLAN - The Dark Knight Rises
  16. NOLAN - Interstellar

Like I said on the other thread, I haven't seen The Abyss in probably more than 20 years, so that's a ranking that should be taken with a grain of salt.

Also, the Top 4 are more or less a toss-up, but I do think Memento gets a slight edge over the others.

I really wouldn't know who to put above the other...
  1. NOLAN - Memento
  2. CAMERON - The Terminator
  3. CAMERON - Aliens
  4. NOLAN - The Prestige
  5. CAMERON - Terminator 2: Judgment Day
  6. CAMERON - Titanic
  7. NOLAN - Following
  8. CAMERON - True Lies
  9. NOLAN - Inception
  10. NOLAN - Insomnia
  11. NOLAN - The Dark Knight
  12. CAMERON - The Abyss
  13. NOLAN - Batman Begins
  14. CAMERON - Avatar
  15. NOLAN - The Dark Knight Rises
  16. NOLAN - Interstellar

Like I said on the other thread, I haven't seen The Abyss in probably more than 20 years, so that's a ranking that should be taken with a grain of salt.

Also, the Top 4 are more or less a toss-up, but I do think Memento gets a slight edge over the others.
I'd recommend giving a watch to Tenet, it's a decent spy movie with twists and a gimmick

I'd recommend giving a watch to Tenet, it's a decent spy movie with twists and a gimmick
Yeah, I have it (and Dunkirk) on the agenda.

Welcome to the human race...
I thought I'd clicked onto the James Cameron vs David Fincher thread. They're starting to blur together.

Welcome to the human race...
In this case, I think I'll give it to Cameron. As Holden Pike noted elsewhere, it's hard to compare Cameron against other directors because he's less prolific (he's only done two narrative features in the time it's taken Nolan to build his entire body of work) so I think in this case I have to judge on a film-by-film basis. As a result, I think he gets the edge because of his Terminator films and Aliens, all of which I find myself returning to more than anything Nolan has done. Memento is the only Nolan film that really comes close to matching those films in my estimation while The Prestige and Inception are solid works. Beyond that, neither one of these directors really does that much for me.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Christopher Nolan is a very pretentious director, but, in that same respect, I have actually come to like that about him in the same way I have come to like that about James Cameron. At times, even the best feature films in cinema can feel safe and familiar, cozied up against what we know and what we are used to, and I appreciate that Nolan actively tries to add his own little quirks and intricacies to them. It shows he cares, maybe? Sometimes I disagree with him, but I know he is talented and I respect his desire to march to the beat of his own drum. In general, the difference between Cameron and Nolan, for me, is that I tend to enjoy nearly every one of Nolan's films I have seen.

I loved Memento. I liked Insomnia. I loved The Prestige. I liked Batman Begins. I loved The Dark Knight. I liked Interstellar, Inception, and The Dark Knight Rises. The only film I can think of of his that I didn't enjoy was Dunkirk, a film I appreciated the technique and execution of, but didn't gel with me as a film.

I thought I'd clicked onto the James Cameron vs David Fincher thread. They're starting to blur together.
James Cameron vs. matter