MoFo Book Club: The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

Tools    

The Metamorphosis
By Franz Kafka

Nominated by Swan

"The Metamorphosis" (original German title: "Die Verwandlung") is a short novel by Franz Kafka, first published in 1915. It is often cited as one of the seminal works of fiction of the 20th century and is widely studied in colleges and universities across the western world. The story begins with a traveling salesman, Gregor Samsa, waking to find himself transformed into an insect.

I'm glad we're starting with this too, because I've had this book sitting around for a long time but still haven't gotten to it, despite how short it is. I'm pretty sure I'll love Kafka, considering he's influenced most of the artists I love.

I've never read any Kafka, I'm looking forward to it.

I did read the entire synopsis of this book on Wikipedia. Interesting story.

Bump

So besides Sexy who DNFed, has anyone started reading this and how long you believe it will take?
I started it. I think I'll get through it this week, as long as I sit down and do it, but I never know with me.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Requested at library. Hope to get it this week.

PS - I'm a slow reader.

Suspect's Reviews

I found it online. Apparently it's free -- in the public domain.

The version I see online is 96 pages, the one at the library says 201???
Both are too long.

I don't have the answer. Maybe the library has some kind of expanded version? With 100 pages of extras talking about the book... I don't know.

The version I see online is 96 pages, the one at the library says 201???
It depends on the size and font that is used. My copy is from the library and also contains other stories so it's 191 pages but the specific story is only about 45 pages. Looked at the online pdf versions and there is less text on one page compared to my book which explains the extra pages.

Here are two links for free pdfs:
International World History Project
The Project Gutenberg

Oh awesome if it's online and free I'll probably be joining.

I've read The Castle by Kafka which i loved but not this . Without reading any of it, SC's post shows me Whoopi is involved here somehow, which is always encouraging.

I've read The Castle by Kafka which i loved but not this . Without reading any of it, SC's post shows me Whoopi is involved here somehow, which is always encouraging.
That was a good idea for a moment, but I'm deleting it from the thread. When I copied the text, it didn't format right and I'm not sure I'm getting all the paragraphs in their correct places.