Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Which women in which modern romantic comedies, for example? Or is it just that the men are mostly the foolish brats nowadays? Remember, sometimes it only takes one night for it to happen.

Some Examples:

How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days
Two Weeks Notice
Knocked Up

The women in these films are not spoiled rich girls. They're not naive. They've not lived sheltered lives. They're independent.

And they don't whine.

On the other hand - at least in the case of the last two - the men they're up against are kind of dolts so maybe it is just a reversal of roles.

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
Funny i was just reading about how Katherine Heigl was a little peeved about the sexism in Knocked Up. I think it's interesting how much each individual's image of a "strong" woman varies.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by mark f
Well. Golgot, you mentioned some things which you felt Munich tried to address and hinted at the idea that it fell short, but what about its alternate purpose -- to be a thriller? Is that why the film rates a high rating because it's better as a thriller than an open discussion of issues?
Well mark f, i gave it kudos on both grounds . And for the chutzpah of attempting to mix thrills and ethical distillations in the first place.

The People's Republic of Clogher
F For Fake (1974-ish, Orson Welles)

4/5

I dig out Big Orson's essay/documentary/mocumentary every couple of years and there always seems to be something fresh to delight and discover. I first saw it on the late, lamented Moviedrome (and I checked here for the date) in 1992. Nearly half my life ago.

It's a study in editing as much as a study in misdirection and proof that Welles could actually finish a film, a slight which dogged the latter part of his career.

For those of you who haven't experienced F For Fake, it superficially concerns the real-life story of art forger Elmyr de Hory, living out his golden years in a gratis (but not much else) villa in Ibiza with his 'young friend' and filmed by Orson while visited by his biographer, Clifford Irving.

Into the mix gets thrown Howard Hughes, Picasso lots of musings by Welles himself and Oja Kodar.

Oja was Orson's long time muse and companion and in my 'umble opinion one of the most beautiful women I've ever set eyes upon. She flits through the movie like a honeybee at a flower show, all the time with a little look in her eyes which seems to say, "Yes, I know I am but I'm also smarter than you." Her (almost as lovely but not quite) sister is also in the film a few times and there's a hearty slap on the back from me if you can name them...

F For Fake is awful hard to pin down and far from perfect but it's something that everyone should allow to wash over them at least once. Welles was a film maker with few peers, in my book, and this is in turns his most accessible and personal work.

EDIT - A Moviedrome intro (sadly not for F For Fake but some other bit of tut )! Alex Cox was probably responsible for my love of cinema.

Funny i was just reading about how Katherine Heigl was a little peeved about the sexism in Knocked Up. I think it's interesting how much each individual's image of a "strong" woman varies.

Katherine Heigl is an idiot. I respect her as an actress but she really needs to shut her mouth.

Anyway, I didn't really find Knocked Up to be sexist. But regardless, when I say strong, I mean more along the lines of independent. Heigl's character had a career and wasn't even looking to fall in love - she was just drunk and horny.

As opposed to the character of Ellie, who was running away from her father - while throwing one tantrum or another every other scene - to be with a man she'd already married but clearly didn't really love.

Man on Fire (2004)- C+ (BIG SPOILERS)

Okay, this one was heading towards the right direction in the beginning of the movie, but goes downhill once the girl is kidnapped. We learn quickly that Creasy (Denzel Washington) is getting older and has a problem with alcoholism. Which sets up a new found relationship with Pita (Dakota Fanning). Creasy takes this personally, and goes on a mission to kill everybody involved. Which basically turned the movie into watching this guy kill and torture everyone involved, really. It's like after the girl is kidnapped, there's not much to look forward to, no plot twists or anything to make it more interesting, he is just finding out information.

The ending was also a bit disappointing to me, not the fact that the girl is safe, but the "how" part of the equation. All of that for this? Just a trade off between the two? Didn't seem fitting for the whole earlier tone of this film. Oh well.

In summary, the beginning is very strong, but degrades throughout to bring a disappointing ending.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. And I don't care what you say, Mark; you're getting rep for this post.

Manhattan seems to be a film which some people think less of nowadays because it was the first Woody Allen film where he showed himself having an affair with an underage girl, even if she was far more mature than he was. As far as the visuals go, I found the scene at the Museum of Natural History the best visuals in the flick. The scene starts here at about 7:00 in the first video...

... and the first 1:13 of this one.

&NR=1

I'm also not quite sure what you're referring to regarding the ending since it's basically open to interpretation what it means, although I'm pretty sure I know what it means.
I read some various theories about what people thought the ending meant, and some of them went off into quite a bit of speculation. Perhaps they were paying much more attention than I was, but there didn't seem to be a consistent theme that, when I heard it, made perfect sense to me. I've only seen it once, of course, and I haven't thought about it all that much, but it felt a little haphazard to me. Then again, most of Allen's films about relationships (read: 98% of them) feel that way to me. I usually ignore this and rate them based on what I get out of the dialogue.

Surprisingly, the affair with the underage girl didn't really irk me. Her part was very well-handled, though why people think Mariel Hemingway is pretty, I'll never understand.

What did you think the ending meant? I have mixed feelings...

As far as Black Narcissus goes, I want to ask how many other Powell/Pressburger films you've watched before. I probably give the film an even lower rating than you do (barely), but I think the entire point of the film is that living an isolated life, especially up in the low-oxygen zone of the Himalayas, can lead you to become hysterical and act "melodramatically". Even so, I thought that Black Narcissus was a lot less-developed than Manhattan was. The thing I've noticed about Powell and Pressburger is that they make many films with an airtight script and superimpose the visuals over them, and then they make a few films where the visuals are king and the "script" seems to be more something of a "story outline". Although I find this film more of the outline variety, I'm glad you still thought it was sorta worth watching.
I agree completely; it does feel like an outline. It feels like a very interesting outline, but I don't really like where it goes with anything. I didn't "buy" the descent into madness. I get the idea behind it, but it seems less like the area inevitably leads to dangerous introspection, and more like it just made one nun kind of wistful while another was dangerously unhinged already.

This was the first Powell/Pressburger-directed film I've seen, yes. Must say, I didn't realize it was quite so old, though. Makes me appreciate the matte paintings and some of the visuals a lot more.

Brazil seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it film. Part of its love comes from how Gilliam had to fight Universal just to get the film released and then released the way he wanted it. Part of its love seems to be that passionate people like to give "serious" sci-fi a big kiss, especially if it falls into "the world is in a pile of shite" message. Then again, Gilliam is also a cult director, and cults seem to grow bigger and bigger as time goes by. I saw Brazil several times at the theatre when it first came out, but I have to admit that it and Gilliam's point just don't really impress me that much any more. I'm not trying to say that I'm right and everybody else (except Yoda) is wrong; I'm just saying that I like some of Gilliam's films and I find some extremely over-indulgent. I certainly think that Brazil is one of Gilliam's better flicks, giving it
, and I think my fave Gilliam movie after Python is The Fisher King. However, I find lots of Brazil to be overkill and unnecessary, so I'd wish that Gilliam would cool his overimagination sometimes. He doesn't really need to throw in several kitchen sinks every film. Super Heathen Signing Off.
I think you're spot-on again, Mark; I think that's a very good way to describe Gilliam. I think his best stuff comes when he restrains himself a little (Twelve Monkeys) or works on a film that naturally dovetails with his natural whimsy (The Adventures of Baron Munchausen). Films like Brazil work if you enjoy chaos and completely unbridled creativity for its own sake, I suppose, but to me it almost feels like a big game of cinematic free association.

It is kinda funny how all sci-fi films tend to regard the future as a big pile of crap, isn't it? I think you can make a pretty good case that the genre is almost entirely satire of a sort.

A system of cells interlinked
Some Sci-Fi takes a more hopeful stance, I think. I don't think I even need to mention the utopian slant on Star Trek, but I did anyway. I just tend to think the dystopic stuff is more realistic, to be honest.

One of the reasons I like Blade Runner so much is the fact that it was one of the first sci-fi films to drop the sterile, spartan silliness that pervaded much of the previous sci-fi material. When I say it was one of the first to do it, I mean the first to do it well, by the by.

Even though the world around us was experiencing the entopy effect, for some reason, creators of sci-fi in the past had thought that would reverse, with the world becoming as clean as an operating room in the future. It's like people were great at predicting what technologies would appear in the future, but terrible at predicting just exactly how they would affect us.

As far as Brazil is concerned, it IS a re-telling of the Orwellian classic, 1984, so it sort of has to be dystopic, yes?

You're right. Star Trek is a big exception to that rule, though I think that's actually one of the reasons it stands out. I don't think it's scientific or societal musings are terribly insightful most of the time (at least, not in the original seris). I think a big part of its appeal is how hopeful it was. But it's definitely an exception.

Yeah, Brazil is definitely borrowing hugely from 1984, so I'm not dogging on it for merely be dystopic. If I did, I'd have to have a problem with most sci-fi films. It's just kind of funny to watch older sci-fi, most of which is terrified at the prospect of a future which, in some cases, has already come, and isn't so bad.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I think you're spot-on again, Mark; I think that's a very good way to describe Gilliam. I think his best stuff comes when he restrains himself a little (Twelve Monkeys) or works on a film that naturally dovetails with his natural whimsy (The Adventures of Baron Munchausen). Films like Brazil work if you enjoy chaos and completely unbridled creativity for its own sake, I suppose, but to me it almost feels like a big game of cinematic free association.
A lot of the time it's the indulgence that draws me to TG - I don't rate 12 Monkeys particularly high in his cannon - but sometimes it can feel a bit forced. I'm possibly in a minority of one when saying that I think Alex Cox (the Unconventionally Attractive Scouse Auteur has now been mentioned in successive posts by me - result! ) would have made a much better fist of Fear & Loathing.

I still love the guy, though, and I love Brazil. For an American (well, he was when he made it) he can make a wonderfully English film.

Ponyo 2009

First screening I've ever been to , the English dubbing shares the same problem that all the other Miyazaki dubs do - even with their star-studded casts (Liam Neeson being the highlight) it's not as authentic or well edited as the original Japanese track , but for the most part it gets the job done (the music is almost spot on with the original) and I suppose it would be hard to market a seemingly children's film in a foreign language.

All my comments stand on the visual strength of this movie and to see it on the big screen is an amazing experience , don't miss this one for anything.

Oh yeah , run do not walk out when the credits roll - unless you want to witness one of the most disrespectful , gayest butcherings of all time.

Unforgiven 1992

A movie set in a genre I don't care for , from a director I hate.

Batman Returns 1992

Well knowing that this would be laced with cheese and cartoony overstated characters , I was surprised by the heavily improved technical qualities. It looked how Tim Burton's original Batman wanted to look and feel - and it was all that much better for it.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Yes. The Penguin's makeup was the definite highlight of the movie.

Meat loved Unforgiven? Good for you. It's a good'un alright.

To jump into the Gilliam/sci-fi talk a bit more. I would say that Star Trek wrote most of the rules so I don't think they were an exception at all. As far as the Utopian society goes. I know many "realists" or whatever you like to call yourselves will always have a problem really believing in a Utopian world and that's fine. Someday I hope to see it but I'm not holding my breath. It would be neat though wouldn't it?

The Kid (1921)

Like the other Chaplin films I've watched, I didn't find this movie to be particularly funny. However, I did the find the story to be quite sweet and moving. I was also rather impressed by the level of emotion that the actors managed to convey without the assistance of sound.

Gremlins (1984)

This was a childhood favorite, but also one that I haven't seen in a very long time. This may even be my first time watching it as an adult. I'd completely forgotten just how funny this movie is and just how disgusting it is (Stripe's demise... yuck). Also props to the screenwriters for the creative ways they came up with for offing both the people and the monsters - especially the crazy cat lady and her chair.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
A Perfect Getaway

A couple on their honeymoon go to Hawaii and meet up with another couple along the way. They discover that there is another couple killing people on the island and they suspect each other, among others. Who is the real killer?

This film suffers from the same fate Hide and Seek had, the trailer gives away the ending. Maybe not bluntly, but if you know how these films work, you know how the film will end. Going into this film, I had a pretty good idea, from the trailer, how this one was going to end. I ended up being right, but I still enjoyed the film and what it had to offer. Knowing the ending makes it a bit more interesting because you can look at things from different angles, as opposed to someone who may have no clue at all. Despite the predictable ending this film has, it has more to offer.

The cast consists of funny man Steve Zahn, who has been stepping out of his usual comedic roles and taking on more things these days, and Milla Jovovich as the honeymoon couple. He is a screen writer, she is just happy to be on her honeymoon. We don't get much else from her, besides one scene in which she has a conversation about her past. Zahn does a good job playing the nerdy role. I said in another review he couldn't carry a film (Strange Wilderness) yet here is seems like the type of person who can. Only time will tell, I hope he takes on more than just comedic roles though.

Timothy Olyphant and Kiele Sanchez (Nikki from Lost) are the second couple. He is some kind of ex-marine type guy, who is a man's man, boar killing and all. She comes off as a free spirited chick, who is able to match her significant other. There is a third couple, who pop in and out of the film as the scary duo. They serve their purpose and leave, nothing more to really say about them.

The director, David Twohy tries his hand at something other than sci/f. His resume includes an underrated flick The Arrival and Vin Diesel vehicles Pitch Black & The Chronicles of Riddick. Glad to see him trying his hand at new stuff and it works. The film is entertaining and thrilling, two key things needed in this type of flick. It has it's by the numbers moments, every film like this does, but in sea of films like these, this one isn't bad.

I wish they film did play up the, which couple are the killers, a little more. It could have been a good mystery, but again, if you pay attention enough, you'll guess who's who early on. The film throws clues as to who the killers are left right and centre. Some people might not like how the film tries to fool it's audience and near the end it does shift it's focus, which seemed odd, yet needed. Can I recommend A Perfect Getaway? Sure, for the people who might be interested that is. If you know this type of film is not for you, keep on walking. If you're a little bit interested, give it a look.

Suspect's Reviews

Delicatessen Marc Caro, Jean-Pierre Jeunet 1991

Arguably as good a film as Amelie but darker and less-popular, Delicatessen is worth checking out.

Jindabyne
Ray Lawrence 2006

The one aspect of this film that stuck out the most to me is how closely it resembled Australian rural life, the strained relationships are believable.
Not a film ill be re-watching too often but a good movie all the same.

The Fountain
Darren Aronofsky 2006

There are three stories happening simultaneously, all revolving around the same love story and theme of eternal life. If there was more attention to detail and explained just a little more it could have been great but it leaves so much of the film open to interpretation that it just doesn't work.

Raging Bull
Martin Scorsese 1980

I don't know if this is the greatest movie ever made but it is a great film. What is outstanding is De Niro's performance.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Rancho Notorious (Fritz Lang,1952)
+

Western film noir, shot in color, creates a unique atmosphere, but it's often too unique for its own good. Still, it's worth a peek to see how the story plays out involving mysterious cowboy Vern (Arthur Kennedy) who comes to the remote criminal hideout of Chuck-a-Luck, run by Altar (Marlene Dietrich). Vern has just busted out from jail Altar's lover Frenchy (Mel Ferrer), but as soon as they arrive, Vern becomes suspicious of some of the other outlaws there. There are a few visual flourishes but they are sometimes offset by weird acting and staging. Even so, this is definitely a cult flick.

Genghis Khan (Henry Levin,1965)

This flick is OK for little kids and undemanding action fans, but it plays out slightly better if you watch it for camp value. Omar Sharif plays Genghis Khan and Stephen Boyd is his archrival in trying to unite the Mongols. Then you have James Mason and Robert Morley both playing Chinese (!) characters. It's not bad enough to be a hoot but it's not really good enough to waste two hours on. There is a bit of spectacle here and there but it's mostly of the cardboard variety.

The Changeling (PeterMedak,1980)

This is one of the many supernatural thrillers which came out in the wake of The Exorcist, and it's a pretty good ghost story. Composer George C.Scott loses his wife and daughter in a freak accident and tries to get away from things in an enormous house which turns out to be haunted. He decides to try to exorcise his personal demons by finding out what happened in that house. The film is often low-key and quiet, but eventually it uses loud sound effects almost as well as the classic The Haunting (1963). The flick also has the scariest wheelchair in film history to go along with its other pleasures and mysteries.

The Swan (Charles Vidor,1956)
-

This is mostly a low-key romantic comedy which works because of the charm and contrast of the three central charactersand actors: Grace Kelly as a beautiful "ice" princess who has no experience at love or romance, Alec Guinness as a stuffy Crown Prince who's looking for a wife, and Louis Jourdan as a tutor who's in love with Kelly and releases her hidden passions one night. The supporting cast (Estelle Windwood, Brian Aherne, Jesse Royce Landis, Agnes Moorehead) also contributes some laughs, but sometimes the film's simplicity seems to be swamped by the elaborate sets, costumes and the widescreen film process which makes a rather simple play get lost a bit on the big screen.

The Lady Vanishes (Alfred Hitchcock, 1938)
+

Classic Hitchcock flick, the best one from his pre-Hollywood era, still has the joys of an archetypal mystery thriller laced with dark humor. It's not so much what happens but how it does which brings so much pleasure, and if my rating seems a bit low, it's probably because I've just seen it so many times, and it's been ripped off incessantly down through the years. It still has all the classic elements in place and has us pulling for the young woman (Margaret Lockwood) who knows that an old lady has disappeared from a train but nobody else claims to have seen her. At least young Michael Redgrave agrees to help her get to the bottom of things, and there's an almost rogues' gallery of supporting characters, including Charters (Basil Radford) and Caldicott (Naunton Wayne) who turned up in a few later British thrillers.

Secretary (Steven Shainberg, 2002)
+

This is a pretty unique flick and I like it enough to probably give it
, but I can understand that some others might find it boring, uncomfortable and just plain weird. The subject matteri involves mental illness, self-abuse, dominant/submissive working and sexual relationships, harrassment, loneliness, and other serious subjects, but I find the film's saving grace the fact that even though it takes awhile to get there, it's actually a comedy! James Spader's vocal intonations and pauses are actually very funny, especially if you think of him as a younger version of William Shatner. Maggie Gyllenhaal is charming and brave as she's subjected to various strange, demeaning incidents but comes to find love within them. She's also brave in that she gets completely naked in the film. This is one I'm sure will divide people but it'll probably draw some kind of reaction from everyone.

La femme infidèle (Claude Chabrol,1969)

Chabrol creates another film where things are seemingly uneventful, but with that title, you already know what the "plot" is going to be, so what's left is to see how he tweaks his own form of Hitchcockian suspense here in the story of a seemingly happily-married couple (Stéphane Audran and Michel Bouquet). The husband notices a change in his wife's affections and her timetable which involves going into Paris every other day, so he hires a private detective who confirms the worst which is that she sees the same man (Maurice Ronet) on all her visits and she stays about two hours inside his flat each time he sees him. From here on, we watch the husband visit the lover and see how it all plays out from there on. This is one of the stronger Chabrol films in that it isn't as enigmatic as many of his others. We all see what happens and come to understand what it all means for everyone involved.

Gentleman's Agreement (Elia Kazan,1947)
-

Although this film talked about some taboos at the time, it probably won't strike some as anything too daring anymore, but even so, it was a little shocking for Sarah to hear the "N-word" here as well as a few other racial epithets. The film is still surprisingly entertaining and suspenseful though because it's very well-constructed-and-acted. Gregory Peck and John Garfield seem totally committed to their roles as a journalist posing as a Jew to find out about anti-Semitism and his best friend, a Jew. The female roles are all well-handled too, including Peck's girlfriend (Dorothy McGuire), his mom (Anne Revere), his Jewish secretary (June Havoc) and the fashion editor (Celeste Holm) who has her eyes on and cap set for Peck. Young Dean Stockwell contributes a nice turn too as Peck's son. Some people see this film as weaker and more "white bread" than a similar film the same year, (Crossfire), while others don't like Kazan any more because of his involvement with HUAC, but looking at the film in isolation, it's still good and builds in power as it moves along.

Watchmen (Zack Snyder, 2009)

I'll admit that I don't know anything about the graphic novel, but I'm not "reviewing" the novel. I can't explain it to you, but something about the beginning of the movie completely rubbed me the wrong way. The montage over the opening credits seemed to lavish a lot of money and F/X to explain to me that I was in an alternate universe, but I usually take all movies as an alternate universe. When the credits ended, I was already rebelling against it, thinking it was much ado about nothing, and trust me, I never have these kind of thoughts for movies of most any kind after about 10 minutes. Anyway, then the film started to actually introduce the characters and I found them to be completely uninvolving, so I scrunched down in my seat a bit and decided it was going to be a long haul of a movie.

Eventually, I got used to the characters, even if I never cared about most of them, but the film played out with some fun acknowledgements to the old Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon serials, especially in the heroes' uniforms and modes of transportation (the "Archie"). On the other hand, the non-hero sides (the more human) of the characters didn't really strike me as interesting enough to be the focus of a movie, no matter how many there were and how many versions of them there were. However, Snyder's style and seeming love of the material did make the second half of the film play out more entertaining to me, so it's a mixed bag but a . I'm going to shut up about it now because I'm just spinning my wheels.

War and Peace (King Vidor,1956)

This three-and-one-half-hour version recreates the novel in a sort of Cliffs Notes style. All the highlights are there, so the film is entertaining, although it has none of the dazzling spectacle and cinematic invention of Sergei Bondarchuk's massive 1967 Russian version which is one of the best films ever made. Of the huge cast, Audrey Hepburn stands out as Natasha, but that really is the best-written, juiciest role. Henry Fonda does a good job as the awkward Pierre although he seems to be miscast. Mel Ferrer is fine as Prince Andrei, although he's always going to be the least-emotional of the three characters and therefore the most enigmatically-incomplete. Director Vidor does film the balls, battle scenes and the torching of Moscow well, but the film just never quite ignites enough to turn it from something competent to something inspiring. I recommend it but I certainly think you should see the Bondarchuk version (discussed here briefly) instead.

Gigantic
Matt Aselton

I'm a fan of Zooey Deschanel and I don't mind Paul Dano or John Goodman. The trailer had me expecting more then this little indie/arthouse film delivered.

Brian (Dano) is a young bed salesmen who's trying to adopt a young Chinese baby when Happy (Deschanel) falls asleep on a bed he's selling. There relationship, crazy families and personal insecurities follow. There is also an unexplained sub-plot that makes no sense and isn't explained.

Dano and Deschanel give decent enough performances, only Goodman is really convincing but he's only in a few short scenes. Parts of the movie are interesting and a few scenes are fairly good but none of it really sticks together and after a while I found myself getting bored.

Arthouse and indy films can be be great because of there unique approach or they are pretentious and have little or no substance, this is mostly the latter.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours

(500) Days Of Summer

Awesomeness. sweet, funny, heartbreaking with a cool soundtrack. It messes with the medium too which makes it fun visually.

Joseph Gordon Levitt is very impressive here, id be more than happy to see more of him. Zooey Deschanel is also good but her character is loathsome. Which is genius because it's not her characters story, if it was then we might like her more.