Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Storks (Nicholas Stoller & Douglas Sweetland, 2016)
+
Mission Park aka Line of Duty (Bryan Ramirez, 2013)

David Brent: Life on the Road (Ricky Gervais, 2016)

The Cuckoo (Aleksandr Rogozhkin, 2002)

During WWII, Lapp woman Anni-Kristiina Juuso can take care of herself, as well as Finnish sharpshooter Ville Haapasalo and Soviet officer Viktor Bychkov, even though they all speak different languages and cannot understand each other.
Ben-Hur (Timur Bekmambetov, 2016)
+
Les Mistons (François Truffaut, 1958)

Frank & Lola (Matthew Ross, 2016)

The Light Between Oceans (Derek Cianfrance, 2016)

After some heartaches, a married Australian couple (Michael Fassbender & Alicia Vikander) who live at a remote lighthouse find a possible gift from God.
Hospitalité (Kôji Fukada, 2011)

Slam (Marc Levin, 1998)

Lines of Wellington (Valeria Sarmiento, 2012)

The Magnificent Seven (Antoine Fuqua, 2016)
+

Widow Haley Bennett and Cherokee bow-and-arrow sharpshooter Martin Sensmeier take on the Bad Guys in a town controlled by psychopath Peter Sarsgaard.
Bridget Jones's Baby (Sharon Maguire, 2016)

Little Men (Ira Sachs, 2016)

Southside with You (Richard Tanne, 2016)

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Tim Burton, 2016)
+

After his grandfather dies during unusual circumstances, teenager Asa Butterfield travels to a Welsh island to meet Miss Peregrine (Eva Green) and her peculiar children who may hold the key to reuniting grandson and grandfather.
The Ballad of Narayama (Keisuke Kinoshita, 1958)
+
Army (Keisuke Kinoshita, 1944)

Alcatraz Island (William McGann, 1937)

Tin Toy (John Lasseter, 1988)

To the Tin Toy, this seems like The Attack of the 50 Foot Baby.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
California (1977) -

Holy moly! The ultimate proof that spaghetti westerns are awesome. I was greatly impressed by Altman's western, but this one is even better! Made one year after Keoma it feels like other twilight spags of the time. There's a lot of nostalgia and sadness involved, but of course the vengeance plot is still there. This is soooo gettin' 4.5 in a couple of months.

Les croix de bois [Wooden Crosses] (1932) -

Very bleak and calculated World War I anti-war film. French answer to All Quiet on the Western Front! You either get the Cross of Honor or a wooden cross on your grave, joining the march of thousands of other soldiers bearing their crosses.

言の葉の庭 [The Garden of Words] (2013) -

100% Guapcore!!! Beautiful animation plus soap opera plot and characters that leave me indifferent. Just like other films from this director. That one pseudo-steadicam shot in the forest is like 10/10 tho.

I also watched a bunch of Tom & Jerry shorts and I find them enjoyable. Fine Feathered Friend is probably the most brutal episode ever. I mean, Tom decides to kill his opponent cat, and if it wasn't for the axe's blade falling off, he would have! Besides, Jerry almost succeeded in cutting off Tom's head using pruning scissors TWICE! In The Lonesome Mouse Jerry draws Hitler's portrait and then spits on it.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Accidents Will Happen (William McGann, 1938)

Southbound (4 Directors, 2016)

Broadway Musketeers (John Farrow, 1938)

Starstruck (Gillian Armstrong, 1982)
+

An Australian singer (Jo Kennedy) with “star quality” puts on a show to try to save her mom’s pub.
Over the Wall (Frank McDonald, 1938)

Blackwell's Island (William McGann, 1939)

King of the Zombies (Jean Yarbrough, 1941)

The Losers (Sylvain White, 2010)

Black ops captain Chris Evans is held captive by security guards who he shoots with unloaded hands!
American Honey (Andrea Arnold, 2016)
+
Mystery House (Noel Smith, 1938)

Forbidden Zone (Richard Elfman, 1980)

Samson and Delilah (Cecil B. DeMille, 1949)

Philistine beauty Delilah (Hedy Lamarr) seeks to learn the cause of the superhuman strength of Israelite Samson (Victor Mature).
Underdog (Frederik Du Chau, 2007)

Into the Grizzly Maze (David Hackl, 2015)

Evolution (Lucile Hadzihalilovic, 2016)

Major League (David S. Ward, 1989)

Fireballer “Wild Thing” Vaughn (Charlie Sheen) improves his control when he starts wearing glasses for the last-place Cleveland Indians.
Play-Girl (Ray Enright, 1932)

I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House (Oz Perkins, 2016)

Petticoat Fever (Geo. Fitzmaurice, 1936)

The Last Hurrah (John Ford, 1958)

Old school Irish-American politician Spencer Tracy runs for mayor for the fifth time in his “last hurrah” campaign in an unnamed New England city (think: Boston).

Hard for me to imagine a Star Wars fan not having a good time watching this. Looks great, with two notable exceptions, and has lots of fun new characters. I love the way they have integrated Star Wars mechanics into this film without it seeming cheesy or rote. The story is well told and fun. I really want to see it again. It is a dense film, please don't mistake the word dense with deep as I am all wore out on tent pole movies are crap lectures, and I think on subsequent viewings I will further appreciate a lot of the characters. This is a Star Wars film that could get better with age for me.

Hey, Sean, do you think somebody who hated The Force Awakens would like Rogue One?
Hard to say. I think if they hated Force Awakens because of how derivative it was then, yes, they could like it. If they didn't like the aesthetic or script of Force Awakens then, no, they will hate this too.

Waiting for Film Crit Hulk's article on it before I decide whether or not I like it.

Just kidding. Or am I?

Waiting for Film Crit Hulk's article on it before I decide whether or not I like it.

Just kidding. Or am I?
Let Sean be your guide. In my opinion I have perfect taste.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I really liked The Force Awakens, but I don't think I'll be seeing Rogue One in theaters. I'd rather see Manchester by the Sea this week.

I really liked The Force Awakens, but I don't think I'll be seeing Rogue One in theaters. I'd rather see Manchester by the Sea this week.
Me too actually, but can't take my boys to that.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Glad you liked it sean. I feel like people will be pleasantly surprised by it. The weakest aspect are the characters themselves, but some of them are fun enough to shake things up.

Suspect's Reviews

Care for some gopher?
The Lost Weekend (Billy Wilder, 1945) -
+
Single White Female (Barbet Schroeder, 1992) -

Looks good. First time I heard of it and that's part of my regular route for work. Froze my ass off up there yesterday by the water.

as a big fan of casey affleck, see star wars

Manchester by the Sea

Casey Affleck plays a depressed janitor who mopes around for 2 and half hours. This movie is so relentless in it's pursuit of ultra-realism, that when it slips up, it really feels stupid. There are few humorous moments, buried in a mountain of super-serious, bland, nothing scenes.

There are a lot of movies about despair and loss, but when that's all you show up with it's just sad.

La La Land

A complete opposite movie. Upbeat, energetic, and emotional. Damien Chazelle blew me away with Whiplash and he delivers again. This man is on fire right now.

(i think he also wrote the new Cloverfield movie that came out this year, which was great too)

Hollywood Party (Roy Rowland, 1937)
+
Everybody Wants Some!! (Richard Linklater, 2016)

The Big Bang (Tony Krantz, 2011)
-
Anthropoid (Sean Ellis, 2016)

During WWII in Prague, Czech soldier Jamie Dornan and his Slovak counterpart (Cillian Murphy) attempt to kill Reinhard Heydrich (Detlef Bothe), the high-ranking Nazi officer who formulated the Final Solution.
Identification of a Woman (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1982)

Bless the Beasts & Children (Stanley Kramer, 1971)

I'd Climb the Highest Mountain (Henry King, 1951)

Disorder (Alice Winocour, 2015)
+

The wife (Diane Kruger) and son (Zaïd Errougui-Demonsant) of a businessman goes away and leaves them in the care of a soldier (Matthias Schoenaerts) who was greatly affected by his last stint in Afghanistan.
Le Amiche (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1955)

Target (Aleksandr Zeldovich, 2011)
+
Angels and Ornaments (Alan Goluboff, 2014)

Born Yesterday (George Cukor, 1950)

While visiting Washington, D.C., Billie Dawn (Oscar-winner Judy Holliday) enjoys being able to understand the political news involving her crooked boyfriend (Broderick Crawford) now that her newsman tutor (William Holden) has unlocked her brain.
Il Grido (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1957)

The Wizard of Baghdad (George Sherman, 1961)

My Father, My Lord (David Volach, 2007)

Going My Way (Leo McCarey, 1944)

New parish priest Father O’Malley (Bing Crosby) gets some local street toughs to form a choir and sing “Swinging on a Star”.
The Human Tornado (Cliff Roquemore, 1976)
-
War Dogs (Todd Phillips, 2016)
+
Kiss of the Tarantula (Chris Munger, 1976)
good ending
Schindler’s List (Steven Spielberg, 1993)

German war profiteer Oskar Schindler (Liam Neeson) tries to plant a benevolent thought into the vicious mind of Nazi camp commandant Amon Goethe (Ralph Fiennes).

Hello and merry Christmas ^^

Mississippi Burning (1988) - decent watch, could see it growing on me if watched a couple more times.

Princess Mononoke (1997) - it was quite interesting, don't really watch films like that very often but I like its originality. Very childish and brutal ^^

Suicide Squad (2016) - music was good, it was quite entertaining but the story was really poor.

Barry Lyndon (1971) - got to watch in a cinema with some Kubrick film expert Q&A which was a nice touch and helped to understand the film. The film was a bit slow but it was really well made, the story was amazing, loved the costumes!

Dogtooth (2009) - just didn't like it, seemed a bit pretentious and boring.

Anthropoid (2016) - really disliked it, I think I'm just very sensitive when it come to war dramas, I like them raw and prefer more realistic rather than mainstream approaches.

Now You See Mee 2 (2016) - enjoyed the first movie, liked this one as well. Quite fun, quick and entertaining, one of them films that has a lot of flaws but it gets you hooked hehe

Green Room (2016) - anyone who's into violent crime films should watch it, pretty decent film! I think it's got a bit of Tarantino vibe, looks like a film that he might like.

Everybody Wants Some (2016) - this is more of a ''cultural'' film, depicting the 80s, not something I can relate to or particularly like but, surprisingly, did enjoy this one. I think it's something Linklater's fan would like or people who enjoyed Nashville.

Citizenfour (2014) - watched it for uni, did enjoy it but it's kind of hard to give it rating being it a documentary and all. Let's say

Demolition (2016) - just didn't like it. Didn't enjoy the story, the acting, the plot - nothing. I feel like it's a bit of a hipster film and I'm not a fan

Sausage Party (2016) - I found it quite creative, original and funny and I do like Seth Rogen

Nine Lives (2016) - just a random cat film I watched It was very very banal but it's a got Kevin Spacey trapped in a fat cat soo..

I, Daniel Blake (2016) - this film seemed to gather a lot of attention in UK. It's about the flawed benefits system and the silly bureaucracy. Film does seem very British, however, I found a bit too over dramatic to actually convince me of the story. It was good and it started well but towards the end just went downhill. Quite predictable as well. I'd say it's worth a watch because it is quite different and god in its own British way, sadly, I think it could have been great.

Lo and Behold (2016) - really good documentary about the Internet! Created by Werner Herzog (yes, you've heard that right!). Looks at the history of the Internet, hacking, future, AI and many other things with a little bit of humour since the director is more into feature films Recommended!

Arrival (2016) - decent but not like extremely special. I've seen it about a month ago and already kind of forgot it. I liked the plot and I think it was really well-shot with really good music, story is quite captivating but I'm not sure.. not something that was very touching

The Infiltrator (2016) - decent crime movie! Crime fans will enjoy ^^

The Plague Dogs (1982) - I was so scared to watch it cause I'm sensitive to animal films but it wasn't as sad and tbh, I don't think it was very good. Really grim film but the story was a bit strange, it took a while to kind of get used to the way it was narrated.

Blue Velvet (1986) - not a fan of Lynch at all but this film was quite good, reminded me of Mulholland Drive, kind of starts normal and then before you know it, it turns into typical Lynch

The Accountant (2016) - omg it was so bad that even Ben didn't save it.

War Dogs (2016) - medicore comedy with some good bits

Captain America: Civil War (2016) - ^ see above

See you soon!

Detective Story (1951) -

I'm greatly surprised this didn't make the cut for MoFo 50's list. What a powerful film! It's based on a play and one can see it's highly theatrical & it almost fulfills all Aristotelian unities. The main plot is very gritty, very American in its noir and New Yorkian background, but the secondary story of a thief and a woman that sticks to him and tries to help him no matter what is highly reminiscent of Dostoevsky (he is Raskolnikov and she is Sonya) - this one was just as beautiful if not even better than the main storyline. Then again, both storylines are magnificently tied in one of the best and most beautiful endings I've seen recently. Kirk Douglas is great, but the secondary cast all did a great job, too. All in all, a very memorable movie. Yet another Wyler masterpiece.

驱魔童 [Magic of Spell] (1986) -

Batsh*t crazy!!! There's some Peach Boy (actually played by a girl, *sighs*, thankfully I'm not gay, wait, how old was she?) and... I'm not even going to try to describe the plot! It's totally mind-blowing. There's some old dude who bathes in blood to regain his youth, there's a bunch of bad characters, a meathead wielding a giant rock, some lady ghost, a goblin with bazooka, a crazy Chinese magician etc. Peach Boy on the other hand has some sidekicks, ginseng-boy, dog-boy, monkey-boy... I better stop here. GINSENG-BOY!!! And everybody wants to eat him. Well, this has some cool music. And some undead skeletons - quite funny. I'm 100% underrating it, but well... I don't know.

Sabrina (1954) -

I'm a little bit ashamed of myself to rate such a naive romantic comedy so high, but I couldn't help loving it! I'm quite surprised it didn't make the MoFo 50's list as it seems to be more known than Wyler's film. In the middle of the film I wasn't even sure if I liked it, but when it ended I was sure I loved it. Hepburn's character is such a silly girl, but she's easy on the eyes and I found some bits of this film funnier than many "real" comedies. Like this plastic hammock part. Boggie is pretty funny here and I think that trick his brother played on him at the end is more than adorable. Well, it was to be expected, but hell, wasn't it cool. Maybe I'm becoming a girl praising a girlish movie like that, but whatever.

Dødsspring til hest fra cirkuskuplen [The Great Circus Catastrophe] (1912) -

Discovering the Golden Age of Danish Cinema - continued. Some trick that Count was performing, wasn't it? Impressive fire scenes!

The Last Picture Show (1971) -

It has a slut, a pedophile, a retard, a MILF hunter, cinema and boobies. THIS FILM IS LIFE ITSELF. I like to think of it as a 50's teen movie gone sex.

The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) -

Very fast-paced and witty. Great sets and cinematography I loved some gimmicks, like actual characters in the film commenting on what the narrator had said etc. It's without a doubt an impressive follow-up to Citizen Kane, but just like the former, I couldn't really grasp it aesthetically and emotionally for it to become one of my favourites. Also, I heard the film was butchered by the studio and about 50 minutes (!) of it cut off. Maybe that's the reason?

Litan (1982) -

Gombrowicz-esque surrealism + French pulp poetry + radioactive sperms in water dissolving people + zombie-like inhabitants of a Gallic town + Dmitri Shostakovich music WOW.

The Heiress (1949) -

Oh man, I love me some English-language melodrama from the 40's. 50's USA melodrama, on the other hand, I don't like that much. Olivia de Havilland may not be the most beautiful of women, but her meekness in this particular movie makes her the cutest of creatures and then towards the end when she's changed she's quite hot in her dominance, as well. I really loved all these artistocratic nuances at the beginning, with Catherine hiding her face behind a fan so not to show her laughing, or the overall (false) posh of the upper-classes. Then I read it's a girlish movie, as well. Did I turn into a female?

死霊の罠 [Evil Dead Trap] (1988) -

Woah! I'm so PUMPED. Japanese slasher/giallo (that Goblin-esque music, these Suspiria, references, this Argento worship!) in the first part with some Cronenbergian madness in the second. Watch it at night, preferably past midnight.

The Big Country (1958) -

I'm slowly starting to love classic American westerns! What a great film! A nonconformist in the land of brutes! That duel towards the end! Wyler could've used some dramatic music after it, but he didn't, he chose silence. And silence worked better than any music would have! A great dramatic effect that almost made me forget I'm watching a scoundrel. Beautiful plains, great color photography.

La decima vittima [The 10th Victim] (1965) -

Do you know the cinematographies in movies like L'Avventura and La Dolce Vita? This movie is similarly astonishing, but it's IN COLOR. It's been awhile since I've seen a color cinematography that good and of course it's from the 60's - the best decade in cinema. Marcello is superb as always and this time he's blonde haha. The plot is amazing, too. A harsh satire, yet it keeps its lightness all throughout!

A Place in the Sun (1951) -

Thankfully, not as soap operish as I expected! This film changes genres at least twice and it's good in all these. The boat scene reminded me of Sunrise - what a tension building! I love how Taylor's face is lit here, I like Clift's ambiguity.

ずべ公番長: 夢は夜ひらく [Delinquent Girl Boss: Blossoming Night Dreams] (1970) -

Pinky violence movies are like spaghetti westerns in a way that you really have to try to find a non-enjoyable film from the genre (whether these are good films, I leave to your own judgment - I LOVE THEM ALL). Sadly, only two of four from these series have English subtitles so far. I will be watching the second subtitled one pretty soon!