I can't remember title of old movie please help!

Tools    

A few years ago I couldn't find the TV remote and it was stuck on this old movie which I think was in black and white. I'm also pretty sure the title was French but the acting was all in English. I don't remember a whole ton of it but enough to the point where I really want to know what it is. Basically it was about this couple living in the inner city. The man's girlfriend did not want him working at the fish market to obtain a second source of income for her. I'm pretty sure he was doing something illegal also to obtain money? Anyway he creates this rich character that befriends his wife so that he can give the money to her. She ends up falling in love with this character who is actually her boyfriend. The main character as I recall also had a best friend who worked as a bartender and later helps him escape from jail. Honestly the details I am giving are super spotty and probably unhelpful but please if you know I need help! This bugs me everytime I think about it.

Ghost In The Machine
I concur with gbgoodies, that plot line means it has to be - Irma la Douce.