Should I feel guilty for liking and owning crocodile Dundee?

Tools    

Always liked this certainly cheesy fish out of water comedy, and have it in my dvd collection. Disappointed to see attacks on this movie as being racist, sexist, transphobic, and homophobic. IMO the main character is indeed all of these, but that’s the character he was cast as and he meant no malice by it.

Guilty isn't the word I would have used....Embarrassed yes.
Touche, but I’ve got far more embarrassing films than that in my collection that is in the 100s.

Crocodile Dundee, I haven't seen it in years but don't let the thought police ruin a film for you. Movies have characters of all types, I mean if we stop watching movies because the characters aren't up to Twitter standards...then just about every movie made will be demonized. Movies aren't a guide post on how to live one's life, if they were most of us would be Mafia hitman, or comic book superheroes.

No. I own Crocodile Dundee too. I even own Blazing Saddles and Gone with the Wind. If a movie is considered controversial or offensive, I would recommend owning a physical copy in case they stop distributing it and it becomes hard to find.

Thanks for the answers all. I don’t think such films will ever be unavailable on legitimate physical media or streaming, but I guess they might come with warnings at the start (like Aliens). One things for sure though, nearly all of Peter Sellers work will be impacted.

Thanks for the answers all. I don’t think such films will ever be unavailable on legitimate physical media or streaming, but I guess they might come with warnings at the start (like Aliens). One things for sure though, nearly all of Peter Sellers work will be impacted.
I strongly recommend you watch 1984 (1984) or even read the 1949 George Orwell novel. Believe me it's very relevant to what you're saying.

The truth is in here
It's been a long time since I watched Crocodile Dundee, but I remember it being a really fun movie. People too often simply view films through a modern lens instead of taking into account when it was made. Not to mention characters or humor for that matter doesn't always have to be PC. Sometimes a joke is just that, a joke.

You ready? You look ready.
The same people who are lamb blasting movies like this are the same people that would sit down for a 3 hour coffee date to educate someone on how to be more sensitive. The disconnect is astounding because in the same breath they acknowledge that you can be uninformed and an -ist.

Croc Dundee is just an uninformed dude. It's what an uninformed dude does after being informed that makes him an -ist.

So keep on washing your backside with the hotel fountain and instructing would be criminals on what a knife actually looks like because without these movies people can't point to how they are better than the people that came before them.

EDIT: Case in point I won't ever let anyone hate on my love for the Lethal Weapon series no matter how problematic it might be in today's climate.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I have it in my collection somewhere, and it is a fun movie to watch. The only problem is that in reality, nobody would care if he is from Australia, and certainly not in NYC.

Victim of The Night
I enjoyed Crocodile Dundee. It was a fun movie to watch.

It's for washin' your back-side!

Victim of The Night

EDIT: Case in point I won't ever let anyone hate on my love for the Lethal Weapon series no matter how problematic it might be in today's climate.
Is it problematic?
As a fairly extreme leftist I'm trying to remember why I should have any problem with Lethal Weapon.

Victim of The Night
To directly answer your question, no, **** that.
I like Last Year At Marienbad. I like 8 1/2. I like My Dinner With Andre. Cleo From 5 To 7. I like The Passion Of Joan Of Arc.
I also like Cherry 2000, Heavy Metal, The Beastmaster, Frankenhooker, City Of The Living Dead, Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension... you get my point.
There are lots of ways to like movies, lots of reasons to like them, lots of different things to get from them, and if one of them is the simple pleasure of watching an Australian bush-guide navigate New York City, by all means, knock yourself out.
Because that's not a knife...

Victim of The Night
Mel Gibson imitates The Three Stooges...they were all Jewish...I'll say no more.

I have never seen more than ten minutes of Crocodile Dundee, but I do have a memory from high school of one of my teachers warning us before a trip to the zoo that we should be careful around stingrays, because "that's what killed Crocodile Dundee!"

They can cancel the movie, but they can't cancel my cherished school-age memory or that man's confusion of Crocodiles Hunter and Dundee.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
No. I own Crocodile Dundee too. I even own Blazing Saddles and Gone with the Wind. If a movie is considered controversial or offensive, I would recommend owning a physical copy in case they stop distributing it and it becomes hard to find.
But Crocodile Dundee isn't considered to be controversial is it?