The Walking Dead: Season 8

Tools    

No, Michonne isn't dead. The furthest in the future we go is when Rick has that woolen grey beard, and Michonne is alive and well there. For whatever reason, this first episode had us hopping all through time leading up to that spot where Rick, Michonne, Carl, and Judith are at that house together. Everything else is in-between now (attacking Negan) and the future with greybeard Rick. I guess when I said "still-alive" Michonne, I meant we see her in the future and she's still living. So that's a good thing.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
No problemo, Dani.

Captain Steel, that pic of Carl is hilarious!
It's glorious.

Still loving the cryers

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I thought this thread might get more attention than it has!

No worries. I've been disappointed and terribly broken-hearted from the last two episodes, so I will probably back off of this thread myself so as not to become a toxic influence for those that are still enjoying the run. I'll probably stop watching for now, waiting for a marathon run to get it all out of the way at once, like ripping a band-aid off. As it is now, I don't want to to continue waiting a week just to scream at my television when someone steps into a hallway of gunfire, pauses to look around, then pulls her gun into position only after surveying the environment, and still survives. Because shooting at walls is intimidating. At people, on the other hand, is fruitless and will do no good in grounding this within any sort of reality.

*cries*
R.I.P., TWD; but we know that won't happen cuz we're all already infected. Poetic, in a way, knowing that once the show finally dies, the characters will live on as undead shells through syndication. Some deaths are slower than others I suppose.

Really, really sad about this. I hope others can continue to enjoy it though. I'll probably try to burn through BSG now to find my comfort zone, to help get me through.

=*(

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Agreed ^^^

The return of a character no one remembers.

An entire episode of shooting, silly no logic gunfights. Morgan is now Batman with foes running toward him whilst he remains untouched.

Where are Rick and Darryl and what are they even doing.

I'm just sitting thinking why do I even watch.

Suppose we ll be getting a lame mid season cliffhanger too.

I enjoyed it. And I agree with some of what y'all have said, and disagree with some. I know they're leaving things up in the air but if you follow any of the WD media or watch The Talking Dead, they've said that the first four episodes will be almost completely action, because they are at war, per their new season slogan, "All-Out War." I'd much rather see this than more of Negan cowing people or killing them because he feels like it. We've got our big villain, we've shown what lengths he'll go to, so let's give him a taste of some of what he's been dishing out.

BUT I agree with what one fan said on The Talking Dead via a Tweet: "Scott Gimple, why didn't Rick just shoot Negan when he first appeared?" Chris Hardwick jumped in and said, "Because you'd have a two-minute show!" Well, I disagree with that. But Gimple answered and said, "Because there are innocent people inside the building, workers, women and children, etc. Rick wanted to give them a chance." Yeah, I understand Rick's viewpoint but No, Rick, you take Negan out, I think the rest will fold. I don't think they're going to slaughter the good people inside once Negan hits the floor, dead. This is after Rick said "Only one person has to die." So, he waited until the cowed people inside didn't make a move for fear of Negan. I think, take him out, then deal with his lieutenants. But a part of that plan was to lead the walkers to Negan's Sanctuary so Rick's crews could take out the remaining outposts.

Well, the writers had Rick open fire only after Negan's "people" wouldn't shift sides (of course they wouldn't! Not while he's alive!) So, Rick waited until they said "no" and then started firing. Negan didn't die but he was trapped and Rick still shot at him, but Negan of course is still alive, Rick you missed your chance. And now Negan has Father Gabriel as either hostage, food for walkers, or bargaining chip.

And now Jesus is letting captured bad guys live against Tara's judgement and I don't agree with that. That especially is going to give some of The Saviors a chance to come back. Despite my disagreement about all this, and despite Rick saying over-and-over that they're not going to lose, it's showing that Rick really is a good guy (and still a bit soft) by showing mercy, Jesus, too. I mean, deep down in their hearts. On the surface they kill, yeah, but not this time. So, maybe they're not that great in a war scenario with humans. A few at a time, I've seen Rick not flinch. But this time, he is. And why did they have to show that baby sleeping peacefully to ocean sounds on some sort of sound system? That's what the guy Rick killed was really fighting for...the child. And Rick couldn't hardly stand it afterwards. Yet, he walked away from the baby. And people on The Talking Dead asked about that and Gimple said, "You will see the ultimate fate of that baby." Well, that doesn't sound good. But we'll see.

As far as where Rick and Daryl are, they're at one of the outposts (I don't remember which) but it's one where Dwight said a cache of weapons are kept. And so far, they've found none, so that puts Dwight's loyalty to Rick & co. in question. But, the Saviors could have moved them, and kept moving them. That's a good tactic---never leave your goods in one place, at least split them up in different places. Just to give a stupid personal example---when my Mom died, I had an Aunt who loved to take family pictures away and never return them. So, before she even showed up, I had four boxes and gave one each to my siblings and myself so they'd be scattered to the four winds and my Aunt wouldn't get her hands on them. She's the kind of person that would go, even when we said "no," into my late Mom's bedroom looking for pictures that weren't there. So, I was kind of thinking of that when they couldn't find the weapons.

ynwtf, I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean when you're talking about the gunfire and people not getting hit, and all. The main part I remember is when Tara and Jesus were "dealing" with the pants-wetter inside that room, and the people outside were pinned down, and when they thought the gunfire ceased, they'd fire, and it went back-and-forth. Is that what you mean? I guess that was a little tiresome if you've seen it a million times on various TV shows but it really didn't bother me. I think it was a plot contrivance just to give Tara and Jesus showtime to deal with that d-bag in the room. And all these people are not experts at warfare. Remember them showing one of those guys with Morgan shaking over and over? He wasn't used to war and was scared. I don't know if it was hesitation or what that got him shot. His friend got killed also, and Morgan did get shot---he was just wearing armor. He said before all the gunplay, "I can't die." Like someone on The Talking Dead said, that may come back to bite him. I don't think they'd hesitate to kill Morgan off the show. I think it was a way to throw a little scare into people thinking Morgan was killed, but I didn't for a minute think he was dead. As for him walking down that hall and around corners killing people left-and-right, he was behind the people that ran away after shooting him and the two guys. So, he was at their back, although a few jumped out at him when they saw him...but he was ready for them and they weren't---they thought they'd killed him. Plus, I think it was another instance of the show giving examples of how Morgan went from non-killer to total killing machine. When he invests, he goes all the way. Anyway, that's just my take.

And I'm saying this knowing some spoilers, at least comic-book spoilers that should happen on the show. Showing Rick alive two years down the line is very much in keeping with what happens in the comic. I don't know if the comic just jumps and then stays there, but I don't think so...they're showing what happens before the two-year jump on the show, so I would guess the comic did the same thing. I do know a few BIG things that happen two-years from now in the comic but I won't reveal that. I have a feeling that the show is waiting for the end of the season to give that reveal.

My favorite part of the episode was Aaron and company hitting that outpost, where that woman leader kept saying they were too cowardly to rush them, then realized that they didn't have to, they just had to not kill people with head shots so they'd turn and kill the Saviors. And right after she sees that guy reanimating, she is surprised by a different walker coming around the corner, giving her a big bite. I do like this part of the war a lot---using walkers as weapons. I liked the preview scene they showed on The Talking Dead where
WARNING: spoilers below
the good guys are walking along with the people they captured at the satellite station outpost, and suddenly some Saviors push walkers down the hill towards them as weapons to attack them. I like that tactical stuff.
I'm still not sick of the show. I've got characters I'm invested in till their end so I'm staying. And I'm a zombie freak, so no matter what they do, as long there are zombies, I'm there. I mean, I even watch that crazy Z Nation show on the SyFy Channel and it rarely makes sense. Not comparing it to TWD at all but just showing how much I love the Z's.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I just remembered I have to finish watching the last ep.

WARNING: "Morgan Mystery Minute" spoilers below
That comment made to Morgan by the captive flew over my head. Then it seemed like he pull the trigger, but was out of ammo.

@dadgumblah
lol. I just realized how neat your name is as I typed it.

Re: Grimes' targeting. I can buy the rationale, but not the practicality of the written scene. Spoilers if you've not seen the EP ahead, so stop reading now. Negan was on deck. Grimes gave him a count from 10, and opened fire at 7 (if I remember right). He had Negan scoped (presumably, of course, but what other logical assumption could be made if they were their to take out Negan?), fired, then a commercial break was introduced. By all logic, Grimes' first scoped shot should have been on Negan as that was the implication before commercial break. Come back from break and now no one is on the deck, and everyone is aiming at glass. Grimes fired first and had Negan dead to rights. That his body wasn't on the ground after the commercial break is just silly. Write it differently and compose the scene with the awareness of how it all actually plays out, given the rules that were set up for the shot. Or have the foresight to see how silly it will appear and change it.

Re: this last season of Tara stepping into a hallway. I'm not commenting on "people" not getting hit. It was more how Tara just stepped into a hallway that for several minutes had been riddled with gunfire preventing anyone from entering the hall. Not only did she blindly step out, she did so with her gun not drawn in a position to immediately return fire. And she survived for it. I could buy that if Morgan had done it given his superman (or as Gandalf put it, BATMAN!) aggression, but this was just comical to me.

For me, it's more about the writing and technical direction of the show. It's just impractical and silly. That frustrates me terribly because I really want to enjoy this show. To me, it seems like no one is bothering with certain details that if present would have prevented moments that must exist for the story to continue as it is. THAT is phoning it in and breaks my heart given the history of the show. Sure, there have been ups and downs, but two EPs into this season and we're already setting the standard for which the season will follow is just meh.

Ack. I'm poisoning the thread. Sorry for that. I will try to avoid tripping my blood pressure here again

WARNING: "Morgan Mystery Minute" spoilers below
That comment made to Morgan by the captive flew over my head. Then it seemed like he pull the trigger, but was out of ammo.

WARNING: "not sure this needs tags, but..." spoilers below
If it helps, that was the guy that killed the kid way back in last season over the lost melon trap. I couldn't make out the comment, but figured he was like, "oh you're that guy with that kid i killed" or some other reference back to it. I can't remember if he pulled the trigger or not. Tough scene. I think I would have shot him at least.

Originally Posted by doubledenim
I just remembered I have to finish watching the last ep.
Oops! I'm sorry if I spoiled anything vital for you, dd! I blindly assumed that everyone had watched it all the way through. I hope I didn't ruin anything for you.

ywntf, yeah, I hear you. Rick had Negan dead-to-rights and with a scoped-out machine gun no less! I think almost every fan called foul on that crap. Like Conan the Barbarian said in one of Arnold's portrayals, "Enough talk!" right before he hacked a guy with his sword. Rick obviously never saw an Arnold movie in TWD universe. :O

There is a lot of clumsiness with the playing out of the gunfight. All I can think is that they just wanted to show (albeit stupidly) how Tara is so gun-ho to get going with firing on these people, and Jesus is not, he's more cautious. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet that this was a simple-minded attempt to set up something that's coming---whether it's Tara or Jesus getting shot because of their disagreement or what, I don't know, but it usually plays out in further episodes.

And Morgan...well, I wasn't sure but like doubledenim said, I thought his gun clicked empty when he put it up against that long-haired Savior's head. But then Jesus asked him not to shoot the guy which would imply that Morgan still had bullets. I need to watch it again and try to listen to see if I can hear a "click" when Morgan puts his gun on the guy. Maybe not. I know from next week's previews, that guy
is taunting Morgan again and Morgan wheels around to put his rifle right against the guy and suddenly the walker trap from the top of the rise is sprung. I think, but don't know, that Morgan, Jesus, and Tara are going to be captured by the very people they have hostage. Because I could swear I saw, when they were showing "This season on TWD!" clips, that I could see Tara and others bound by the same rope/wire that they have the Saviors trussed up in. So maybe this will be all about them showing mercy to the Saviors against Tara's wishes and paying for it.

And thanks for the compliment on my name. I'll let you know how I came by it if you want, either here or on PM.

I know better than to come in to threads worried about being spoiled. I was just being a smart @$$ about stopping the show halfway cuz I wasn't feeling it.

@dadgumblah
You can cc me on the memo about your username. I've had an idea about what it means, but there's a possibility I could be wrong for once.

Now this is more like it! This latest episode connected some dots left dangling, like where exactly Rick and Daryl were---inside the Savior outpost that Aaron and company were attacking. Plus we got
the conclusion of what became of the baby left in the room. And of course I totally figured Daryl would come up behind Morales and ice him.

I was wrong about the walkers
on the hill being used as weapons by the Saviors. They were just clumsy walkers rolling down the hill. Oh well, the result was the same.

I liked the fact that Daryl
is killing Saviors on site, like Morales, and the kid that gave up, although that was a bit shocking with the kid. It's what Tara wanted to do with the Saviors they caught. Rick, who made the big speech about winning, really doesn't work well with war, it seems. Daryl has the right idea, because the Saviors will just go to Negan and give our guys up or kill them on site.

And I really liked the fight between
Morgan and Jesus. We know that Morgan wasn't thinking straight because he said, "I'm not right," meaning he was messed up a bit in the head. But he had the right call to shoot at least one of the bound-together prisoners. I wish it had been the guy taunting him, whose name escapes me. Jesus was totally wrong to knock Morgan's gun down.
It shows how there can be opposing ways of thinking in war. But I'm totally on Morgan, Daryl, and Tara's side and their "shoot on site" method. This is the zombie apocalypse after all and the Saviors are more and more shown to be remorseless killers and they're counting on Rick's people to be merciful.

I thought Maggie was going to shoot Gregory right between the eyes when he was at the Hilltop fence. Crap! Missed opportunity. I don't see it happening but I'd love for Gabriel to make it back somehow and totally convict Gregory. Sheesh! But I think Gabriel's fate is sealed at the Sanctuary.

Felt bad for
Aaron losing Eric. Felt it was going to happen all along, with Aaron not wanting Eric to be there in the first place. I know they saw him walking away as a walker, but I hope they never see him during the war, roaming about.

King Ezekiel, with all his speeches, it was
pretty plain that it wasn't going to last. I freeze-framed and saw a glint of a rifle in the top window so that's what Ezekiel saw. I thought at first that the guys covering Ezekiel's body were hit with red arrows for some stupid reasoning of mine, but when I slow-played it I could see that it was streams of blood shooting out of their backs. So that may have shut
him up.

I think it's the best episode so far this season.

Surprised we haven't seen Neegan again. Wonder if they are saving up for a mid-season finale.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Now this is more like it! This latest episode connected some dots left dangling, like where exactly Rick and Daryl were---inside the Savior outpost that Aaron and company were attacking. Plus we got
the conclusion of what became of the baby left in the room. And of course I totally figured Daryl would come up behind Morales and ice him.

I was wrong about the walkers
on the hill being used as weapons by the Saviors. They were just clumsy walkers rolling down the hill. Oh well, the result was the same.

I liked the fact that Daryl
is killing Saviors on site, like Morales, and the kid that gave up, although that was a bit shocking with the kid. It's what Tara wanted to do with the Saviors they caught. Rick, who made the big speech about winning, really doesn't work well with war, it seems. Daryl has the right idea, because the Saviors will just go to Negan and give our guys up or kill them on site.

And I really liked the fight between
Morgan and Jesus. We know that Morgan wasn't thinking straight because he said, "I'm not right," meaning he was messed up a bit in the head. But he had the right call to shoot at least one of the bound-together prisoners. I wish it had been the guy taunting him, whose name escapes me. Jesus was totally wrong to knock Morgan's gun down.
It shows how there can be opposing ways of thinking in war. But I'm totally on Morgan, Daryl, and Tara's side and their "shoot on site" method. This is the zombie apocalypse after all and the Saviors are more and more shown to be remorseless killers and they're counting on Rick's people to be merciful.

I thought Maggie was going to shoot Gregory right between the eyes when he was at the Hilltop fence. Crap! Missed opportunity. I don't see it happening but I'd love for Gabriel to make it back somehow and totally convict Gregory. Sheesh! But I think Gabriel's fate is sealed at the Sanctuary.

Felt bad for
Aaron losing Eric. Felt it was going to happen all along, with Aaron not wanting Eric to be there in the first place. I know they saw him walking away as a walker, but I hope they never see him during the war, roaming about.

King Ezekiel, with all his speeches, it was
pretty plain that it wasn't going to last. I freeze-framed and saw a glint of a rifle in the top window so that's what Ezekiel saw. I thought at first that the guys covering Ezekiel's body were hit with red arrows for some stupid reasoning of mine, but when I slow-played it I could see that it was streams of blood shooting out of their backs. So that may have shut
him up.

I think it's the best episode so far this season.
Disagree with just about everything here.

I think part of the problem with this opening is that it's 1 long episode spread out over 3 or more episodes. Should have just been a feature length opening episode.

Morales comeback is even more lame now that they iced him a couple of minutes after he re-appeared. It has to be the worst comeback in TV history, even just for the fact that virtually NO ONE can remember him.

I'm on Jesus side on that issue, you can't just execute everyone, it's like executing every German who served under Hitler.

Gregory, I was sure was gonna be eaten by a walker when he was at the gate, just kill him FFS.

Gay guy (don't remember name) and his BF(definitely don't remember name) got way too much screen time, yawn another drawn out scene featuring characters we don't give a **** about.

Ezekiel and co, LOL bad how they are dead to rights in the woods but they turn the tables without a scratch. Like who is even planning out and storyboarding this ****. Also the weird jumping between speech and future events just didn't work well imo.

Best scene this season by far was when we got to see Rosita for like 2 seconds, hot damn!

I think I have reached my limit, will simply be watching in bulk from now just to see what happens when I have it all stored up.

RIP what was once a great show.

WARNING: "Shiva Spoiler" spoilers below
I'm sorry, but a bunch of zombies could not take down an adult tiger.
Even if a hundred of them got on top of it at once, that tiger would wriggle out from under them before they could even bring their jaws together - even if it was an intelligent and concerted effort carried out by organized olympic-athlete-level men (no less a bunch of slow moving, disorganized zombies).

Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy. Now imagine that cat weighs 800 lbs! There's really no number of humans (alive or dead) that could pin down an adult tiger, because before enough people could physically immobilize the tiger, they'd just end up tripping each other up and smothering each other (like a bunch of braindead zombies). While the tiger would use it's incredible strength, speed, razor sharp claws and fangs to get out from under the pile the second it started to feel closed in. Just by rolling a tiger could throw off about 20 human bodies (crushing several of them in the process) and a tiger can roll multiple times if it has to before we can even blink our eyes.

But Captain, this is fiction. I kid! I kid

This is one of the moments I knew was coming due to seeing it in the comics. I don't think
Shiva was trying to escape. I think he was fighting with them so Ezekiel could get away. I mean, if the tiger can attack whomever Ezekiel dictates, why can't it stand it's ground to fight walkers while its master escapes. I never put too much thought into this anymore, I just roll with it.
It just seems at this point, if Kirkman wrote it, it'll make it into the show whether we want it or not. I'm fine with that. This is fiction and I know, even in horror fiction, you have to follow the rules you've set for your world, but the logic you laid out above doesn't necessarily apply in this world of TWD. I'm having fun with it. I can't wait for the next big death!