Best sequel of a movie ever ?

Tools    

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide

Much more lighthearted and, to some degree, accessible than its predecessor, but still a masterwork of storytelling with one of the best endings in all of Japanese cinema.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
The Godfather II

Oh shite, I just realized that Rhys already posted T2...

Much more lighthearted and, to some degree, accessible than its predecessor, but still a masterwork of storytelling with one of the best endings in all of Japanese cinema.
I am not a huge fan of Kurosawa. I feel like he ripped off a lot of American films. Ever notice how Seven Samurai so closely resembles The Magnificent Seven? Some will claim this is a coincidence, but I know better...

Aliens
The Empire Strikes Back

Spider-Man 2
The Dark Knight
Batman Returns
Terminator 2
Lethal Weapon 2
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Dawn Of The Dead (only in spirit)

We counting 2nd Sequels? Die Hard With A Vengeance.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I am not a huge fan of Kurosawa. I feel like he ripped off a lot of American films. Ever notice how Seven Samurai so closely resembles The Magnificent Seven? Some will claim this is a coincidence, but I know better...
If you're going to make a joke, make sure it's clear that's what it is; otherwise you can become the joke.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Double dumbass on you!

EDIT - That was originally a reference to the Star Trek IV YouTube video that's been removed for some reason.

the really astounding part is that Akira Kurosawa managed to get ahold of a time machine. so he could release Seven Samurai in 1954, while the Magnificent Seven was released in 1960

Best all-time: Godfather II

Best this century: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

The only really acceptable answer is Godfather Part II...It's of a piece with and even improves upon the original classic. All other sequels pale in comparison.

I don't consider Empire Strikes Back a sequel, it was a second part in a planned trilogy...

Other great sequels:

Aliens
Batman Returns
Terminator 2
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Evil Dead 2
Rocky 4...okay, not Rocky 4. That movie will break you...
good answers, man. but...

"A sequel (also known as follow-up) is a narrative, documental, or other work of literature, film, theatre, television, music, or game that continues the story of, or expands upon, some earlier work."

Is there any benefit to excluding ESB on the grounds that it's somehow not a sequel if it is, in fact, definitively a sequel? I THINK I get what you mean here, but it's a terribly silly distinction to make.

The Dark Knight hands down

This doesn't count for every sequel, but I have a theory. A sequel is a continuation of the original film which means that in many chases the plot will be very similar to the original. For a sequel to work it needs to respect the original film, make enough changes to the original plot so it is distinguishable from the original and escalate the action or drama happening on screen. So the ideal sequels judging by this criteria would be Aliens and T2:Judgement Day as they do all of these things.

Godfather part II,of course..

Agree with The Dark Knight, T2 and Empire Strikes Back for sure. If I had to pick one as the top, I'd say T2. That may only be because I wasn't alive when the first came out and still young when the second came out, so I think I may have saw the second one first. But anytime I think Terminator, I think T2.

If I go by how much more I liked a sequel compared to the first movie, I think Captain America: The Winter Soldier is up there. I liked the first Cap movie, but it wasn't among my top 3 (maybe not top 5) of the Marvel movies. This new one, though, easily makes top 3.

And I'm predicting Avengers 2 is going to be even better than that first!

-Adam

Join Ben and Adam live every Sunday night 6pm EST on http://mixlr.com/next-level-radio/
www.nextlevelradioonline.com
Twitter: @NXTLevelRadio
Facebook.com/nextlevelradioonline