CQ's Royal Court of Characters (50 Fav Characters)

→ in
Tools    

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
16. Ned Seton
(Lew Aryes)

"Walk, don't run to the nearest exit."

Ned has always been one of my favorite things about Holiday. His filthy drinking habit makes him seem quite aloof from the rest of the family, and his laid back attitude is so funny to watch during the drama. Although in the end he proves to be one of the good guys. He shows that he does know Linda very well and gives her advice that she needs to hear.

15. Nick Carraway
(Sam Waterston)

"They're a rotten crowd. You're worth the whole damn bunch put together."

I liked Nick Carraway before I even read the book and got a deeper idea of the character. I think Sam Waterston was the best possible choice to play him. Nick is patient in his judgements of the characters he's also getting to know, and he keeps an accepting attitude in even dark moments. But in the end, he's knows who's worth what and admits it.

14. David Addison
(Bruce Willis)

"Do bears bear? Do bees be?"

David Addison rambled off more jokes and wisecracks in one episode than the average person makes in a month. Sadly, Moonlighting peaked at the first season, and I've never watched further than the second. Addison's incessant sparring with Maddie is usually entertainment brilliance.

I love this characters list the most...

Most of them are really unique & missed when the movie/show gets over.

Didn't care much for Princess Diaries, especially Hathway's character...
Can you explain why you have rated her higher than Hepburn's princess in Roman Holiday.

Didn't care much for Princess Diaries, especially Hathway's character... Can you explain why you have rated her higher than Hepburn's princess in Roman Holiday.
Probably a better connection with the character. I think Mia had a bit deeper of a backstory than Princess Anne as well.

I thought the mystery element of Princess Anne was what made her character stand out...

As for Mia, I probably see her as characters in most teen films..

I would have high regard for the female lead character in John Tucker Must Die.
She actually made that lousy film work for me.

I must admit I'd never thought of it that way.

I can't say I've ever seen a teen movie with a character quite like Mia.

And I've been meaning to see John Tucker Must Die for oh...four years now.

John Tucker Must Die...urgh. I like the Nick Carraway choice though- most people would choose Gatsby.

13. Kronk
(Patrick Warburton)

"Hey, d'you see that sky today? Talk about blue."

Kronk is simply the best henchman ever. He's my favorite animated character, closely followed by the Wolf in Hoodwinked most likely. Warburton has a way of making his voice really come through the character. Kronk is simply loads of fun and laughs. Anyone who's seen this hilarious Disney comedy knows. If you haven't, see it. I've loved it since I was five.

12. God
(George Burns)

"I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me me."

For creating the character of the almighty, I think it would be impossible to do it better. The movie also does an impressive job of not imposing a certain religion. The gentle and humorous God, played brillantly by George Burns, is one I think we all want to believe in.

11. Oscar Madison
(Walter Matthau)

"Don't threaten me with jail, Blanche, because it's not a threat. With my expenses and my alimony, a prisoner takes home more pay than I do."

Oscar is the extreme slob in all of us. He also makes a few of the arguably best jokes ever written. However, Oscar and I have something in common that's rare: we have murderous tendancies toward our best friend. Despite our compassion for our buddies, they grind on our nerves like nails on a chalkboard sometimes. The way Oscar handles the situation with wit is an inspiration to me.

Oh my gosh, I can't wait to get back to this! I'll explain my absence in the I'm leaving/coming back thread if I can ever find it. I'll be back on this next week, ASAP.

Nice list so far, 3 of my favourite characters that you have mentioned in your list so far are:

Rose Dewitt Bukater played by Kate Winslet
Princess Anne & Holly Golightly both played by Audrey Hepburn

Wow, I stopped at the Top 10. That was a little mean.

10. George Bailey
(James Stewart)

"You call this a happy family? Why do we have to have all these kids?"

I think one of the reason Capra's classic is so beloved is because of the character George Bailey and Jimmy Stewart's remarkable way of capturing the frustration of the common man. I don't know anyone who couldn't find a little bit of themselves in George Bailey and vica versa. He's just a regular guy with plenty of problems, but we're reminded that our lives are all worth something.

9. Hud Bannon
(Paul Newman)

"This world is so full of crap, a man's gonna get into it sooner or later whether he's careful or not."

Hud to me is one of the most human/realistic characters I've ever seen, reminding me a lot of my own sister. Newman created cool but really cold persona. Hud doesn't do flat-out sinister things, but you sense that under his shell he's really no good. One can't help but hope that he'll do something good by the end but, just like in real life, there's no happy ending.

8. Rory Gilmore
(Alexis Bledel)

"Logan: You're special, Rory.
Rory: Special? Like 'Don't eat the paste' special?"

This is a very personal choice, but I think Rory makes up a big part of my personality. Everybody looks at Rory like a super smart goodie-two-shoes, and she is, in a way. But there's a lot more to Rory, which I thought was an always impressive performance by promising Alexis Bledel. Rory's also very witty and a movie/book connoisseur. She is a great contrast to the high school sterotype and how there's more to a good girl than just a good girl.

7. Lew Harper
(Paul Newman)

"Harper: Keep the change
Bartender: There is no change.
Harper: [pause] Keep it anyway."

Harper makes being a broke and divorced private eye so cool! The convaluted mystery wouldn't be a third as fun without the character Newman and Goldman created. Harper's dry wit is the best part of the movie.

6. Jack Bauer
(Kiefer Sutherland)

"The only reason that you're conscious right now is because I don't want to carry you."

Jack Bauer is the only reason that I could stand to keep watching "24". Sutherland
never misses a step playing the role. Bauer may sometimes seem like the ultimate tough guy and make him hard to relate to, drifting further and further from a regular guy with every "day", but Bauer's determination appealled to me. It's certainly unmatched. Also, if we were gonna say a hero is only as good as his villian, just look at Nina Myers.

5. Indiana Jones
(Harrison Ford)

"Snakes, why'd it have to be snakes?"

The hat. The whip. The excitment. He's such an absolutely fun character for everyone. The character was developed so well that its taken on a life of its own. Of course, though, he's not without flaws, but that's naturally part of his appeal. Indiana Jones and his movies make us all feel like wild adventure could be right around the corner....and wish it was. I'd marry the guy if I could

I'm sorry it has been taking me so long to get these last few posted guys. I've been kinda swamped lately. Next week should be #4, #3, and #2 and #1 the following

4. Tracy Lord
(Katharine Hepburn)

"The time to make up your mind about people is never."

For the theme, "You as a character" I chose Tracy, so I obviously see a lot of myself in her. She's a character that grows more complex with repeated watches. There's a lot about herself that she doesn't even know as Dexter points out. "She's a girl who's generous to a fault, except to other people's faults."

3. Butch Cassidy
(Paul Newman)

"I got vision and the whole world wear bifocals."

It's nearly impossible to describe Butch. It's one of those times you just have to see the movie. I've heard Newman's performance came very close to the real life outlaw. Like Tracy, Butch and I have a lot in common, especially always doing the thinking. Butch always manages to make me laugh and has a kind heart in a cruel life.

2. John McClane
(Bruce Willis)

"Nine million terrorists in the world, and I gotta kill one with feet smaller than my sister."

Who doesn't love this guy? While I can understand not enjoying Die Hard, unless you have something against profanity, John McClane is the man. Like Indiana Jones, he's the reason there will be a fifth movie and crazy fans like me will go see it, no matter how old the actor gets. McClane's a modern day cowboy and he knows it. Look out terrorists!

~ 1. Marion Ravenwood ~
(Karen Allen)

"Well, Jones, at least you haven't forgotten how to show a lady a good time!"

When I first so unwillingly watched Raiders of the Lost Ark, Marion Ravenwood quickly became my favorite part of the story. I liked her before I liked the movie itself. I was incredibly drawn to her first scene in Nepal at her cantina The Raven. First, we see Marion drink a guy twice her size under the table. That's pretty hardcore. Then, she greets Indiana Jones with a right hook to the jaw. Marion's backstory is so well-developed and just in the course of a scene or two. She's smart and resourceful, and she can hold her own throughout the movie.

In short, Marion's my favorite character because she's used the really difficult life she's had to make her tougher.