MovieMaker5087 Returns to Tell You Something Important.

→ in
Tools    

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Helllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo MoFo.

Remember me?

I'm sure most of you do.

I'm the worst forum poster - I tend to come and go on this site, which is pretty good, considering I barely post on forums to begin with. I always tried, but I never could get into the proper "mindset" if you will that one would probably need to stay active on a forum site. And I say "active" because, for whatever reason, I'm the type of poster who wants nothing but replies after replies 24/7 on threads, so that the site is never dead. But I understand people sleep, and a lot of topics on forums just don't interest me, so I find myself usually just going "meh" and finding something better to do online (or "on the line" as a waitress from Denny's once told me).

I've been here, there and everywhere else for the most part. Though, if you know me, then you know that I always make an appearance at the MoFo Oscar Chat, which is something I look forward to.

I also got diagnosed with A.D.D. this summer by my new, which was good to finally make official. I say that because I always figured I had it, but was lazy when it came to asking a doctor about it. Course, and this is the honest truth, it doesn't help that, up until I was 20, I was still seeing pediatricians. Which, if I've been seeing the same doctors for 20 years, wouldn't you think they would have diagnosed me with the mental condition at some point?

Anyway, my new doctor gave me Adderall to treat it, and I love it. I learned that un-treated A.D.D. can lead to depression, which I can assure you I went through a pretty deep mental funk filled with depression last year. So, finally being able to treat my condition, as well as now being able to stay focused in on things in life, such as school and side-projects, is finally a blessing that has come into fruition for me.

But enough about that.

I'm here to tell you about a movie I demand you all see.

Yes, demand.

Some of you may have heard about it. It's called Windy City Heat, and it's a made-for-TV reality movie that aired on Comedy Central back in October of 2003.

I call it a "reality movie" because that's exactly what it is - a movie where several cameras follow around one person, Perry Caravello, as he is starring in a film-noir action flick called Windy City Heat, which is about a retired sports P.I. who is called back into action after some thieves steal Ernie Banks' pants and William "The Refrigerator" Perry's very own refrigerator. The only thing is is that the film is completely a hoax and is instead an elaborate prank being played on Caravello, who believes he is portraying Stone Fury, the sports P.I. of Chicago. Everyone who is in the film, including the two sports icons, are all in on the prank, and Perry never realizes it.

WARNING: "The film's ending" spoilers below
Even all the way to the end of the film, which sets it apart from other pranks/reality TV shows, as they always tend to tell their victim that they've just been had. This film, however, does not do that, and it makes it that much funnier.

Throughout the production, the cast and crew make Perry's life a living hell. From spitting into his food to blaming him for almost ruining the film to having his stunt double have explicit (yet never obviously shown) sex with a very attractive woman, the film is different from other reality-type prank shows like The Jamie Kennedy Experiment and, on some levels, jackass, because the pranks are never ending, and no one cares what Perry has to say about anything, and they certainly show him no respect. All of this makes for great cinematic comedy.

In fact, to show that they never let the prank die, even after the film's airing on Comedy Central, you may note that Perry's last name is Caravello. Yet, on the DVD cover and on the marquee of the theater where the faux film debuted, they intentionally mis-spell it as "Karavello", which is another thorn that is purged deeper into Perry's side, as you can see in the film.

See, the background story is that Perry has been trying for years to become a movie star. He was a comedian who started out as a Sam Kinison impersonator, who later on met Don Barris. (At least I'm pretty sure this is how the story goes) Barris saw that he could easily mess with Perry and pull pranks on him day after day, which Perry naturally never caught on. As this went on for years, Barris built up a cast of characters that were all created with the intent to mess with Perry. This can be seen in Barris' cable access show, Simply Don, as a lot of the characters who mess and interact with Perry in the show would later on be seen doing the same (and still funny) acts to him on the set of Windy City Heat. One major player in Barris' show was Jimmy Kimmel. And so I can imagine that, being in bed with Kimmel and having Kimmel being in bed with Comedy Central, one thing led to another and a producing credit went to Kimmel himself as Windy City Heat became a (faux) reality for Caravello, and I'm sure one hell of a time for everyone else.

Perry is by no means an actor, let alone star. But with everyone constantly pumping him with whatever words of self-esteem they can give, it all goes to his head and (again, without his realizing it) it all comes crashing down on itself.

Another example of the prank never dying down, even after the film's initial airing, is that Perry has an assistant named Burt Ward (not that Burt Ward - another gag is that everyone on set is named after some historical or entertainment figure, and Perry, obviously lacking some basic knowledge, never picks up on that either) who constantly gives him food and drink, even when Perry isn't hungry and doesn't want any. This gag goes on throughout the run time, and even on the film's DVD, where Perry is giving his audio commentary for the film, and Burt is still giving him food. And trust me - Perry never catches on.

But how do I know this? And why am I saying "Perry" instead of "Caravello", like most reviewers do?

Well, the thing is, I actually know Perry Caravello.

His number is in my cell phone, and we talk every now and then.

He's also on Facebook, where, if you were his friend, you can see that everyone and his brother messes with him on there as well (but does he catch on? I think by this time you should realize just how smart Perry really is).

I've talked to Perry about the film several times, and he's answered my questions and such. He really wants a sequel to be filmed, but I don't think he understands just what exactly Windy City Heat is. I know that, when he first saw the film, everyone had told him that it was a flop so that in order to save it they just turned it into a prank-film to return some sort of profit. But I think he thinks a sequel would really be about his faux character, Stone Fury, saving the Windy City yet another day.

A funny story about this is that my friend and I actually wrote a treatment for a potential Windy City Heat II. The proposed title was Even Across the Phantoms, God is Still the Same: Windy City Heat II. I don't really have the time to get into the plot (maybe I'll copy and paste it later on), but it dealt with Stone Fury battling an evil villain who stole rare and famous sports memorabilia and, using his "sentimental feeling gun", he was going to ruin everyone's love and appreciation for them. When we called Perry and talked about the treatment, he actually enjoyed it (or so he says - we think he forgot about it and was just B.S.ing with us. Either way, I get a kick knowing that I had, however small it may be, some involvement in a sequel to a film that can't possibly have a sequel).

I really don't want to say anything else about it other than I highly suggest you all try and pick it up for your viewing pleasure. Posted below are clips from YouTube that are clips from the film, and various interviews and other things revolving around Perry Karavello himself.

This is one of my favorite parts from the film:

These are some interviews and such that were not aired on TV or included on the DVD. Again, further proof that the creators went all the way in trying to convince Perry, as well as making the prank last as long as possible, even if it wasn't intended for audiences.

Here are two clips from the cable access show where Don Barris and the cast of characters first interacted with Perry:

And finally, here is an interview from Jimmy Kimmel Live, shortly after the whole "Balloon Boy" media incident. In it, Caravello talks about how he and the boy's father would chase storms and how, in Perry's eyes, the man was a "scumbag". However, the interview doesn't go as planned for "the Scaremaster" (as his nickname is), and again, you can clearly see that, after all these years, Perry has yet to catch on.

Now you may be thinking "MovieMaker, this has got to be fake. No way can someone go this long and not realize it eventually."

And my reply to that?

No. This is all 100% real.

I've talked to Perry, I've seen how he thinks and what he writes in response to the people messing with him on Facebook - this man is utterly clueless as to what is real life and what is a prank. This is due mostly in part of a car crash Perry was in that put him in a coma for two weeks. But, in the long run, despite the crash having an effect on him mentally, it certainly has made him a figure of a cult following.

So check on NetFlix and buy it off Amazon, for Mofo, I highly urge all of you out there to see this one. It's a great film and is sure to make you laugh.

IMDb page:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383053/

Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windy_City_Heat

Perry Caravello's actual Facebook account:
http://www.facebook.com/perry.f.caravello?ref=ts
(I'm pretty sure that link works)

Female Jungle Poster
Glad that you're feeling better. And thanks for the recommendation; I'll try to track it down.

"Exit, pursued by a bear." ~

Happy New Year from Philly!
Yuck! People who are dead inside inflating the expectations of a simpleton and then deflating them. Comedy for people who are dead inside as well. Enjoy it all you zombies.

Hey, Perry is one up on me. He got a payday. At least I hope he did.

Blind Dogs, blind dogs.

Started watching it...it is not only sad and unfunny...it is also fake...

This actually makes all those other "reality" shows look real!

...that mole character? really? who wrote that crap? Looks like a bunch of unfunny has-beens and never-were's trying to make a buck off the "reality" fad of not having to pay real actors...