Name the Actress

Tools    

Mary Pickford. The 1930s styling really threw me off but I knew I'd seen those eyes before.

Believe it or not, while I was watching TV, I thought about what early 20th century actress was the first to sign a million dollar contract...then I remembered it was Mary Pickford, who was described as a very astute business person. To late with my answer though

Not sure who the last pic is.

I believe ya. Pretty cool stat for her to have as well, I mean considering the value in those days.

Is that a young Dorothy McGuire? Her hair looks like it's a style from the mid 1940s and I think she was mostly popular in the 1950s, hence I think she's quite young in this photo. Or maybe I'm plum wrong

Mary Pickford. The 1930s styling really threw me off but I knew I'd seen those eyes before.
Excellent! Yes, it is "America's sweetheart", the first actress to sign a million dollar contract for a motion picture.

Is that a young Dorothy McGuire? Her hair looks like it's a style from the mid 1940s and I think she was mostly popular in the 1950s, hence I think she's quite young in this photo. Or maybe I'm plum wrong
I don't believe it's Dorothy. She strongly resembles Celia Johnson (Brief Encounter) but I don't believe it's she. Pretty sure she's a Brit though.

Excellent guess but not Dorothy McGuire, certainly a strong resemblance. Had a long and diverse career in stage, film and television with the most recognisable film roles being from the 40s and 50s.

I don't believe it's Dorothy. She strongly resembles Celia Johnson (Brief Encounter) but I don't believe it's she. Pretty sure she's a Brit though.
Not Celia Johnson but definitely British.

Not Celia Johnson but definitely British.
I suppose I should know this, but I don’t.

She worked with several famous directors including Laurence Olivier, Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, and Robert Donat.

An excellent guess but afraid not. I think I might go ahead and do a reveal here as it's been a while and I suspect no one knows:

Renée Asherson
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9e_Asherson

Here's a short and pleasant clip of her getting her portrait painted in 1940s London.

OPEN FLOOR