Justice League

Tools    

There are several differences:

1) Snyder was the original director and shot most of the film, contra the Nolan analogy.
2) Snyder shoots a lot, so he had a lot to work with.
3) They shot more/new stuff, so he didn't have to assemble this from what he already had.

To point #3, apparently the reshoots/recuts alone had a budget of about $70 million.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Those are good points. I see what you mean. I also noticed that the movie is in 4:3, and I was wondering why Snyder chose this ratio, as it seems odd. I keep reading well that's because the ratio that IMAX film is formatted in, but what's the emotional, dramatic reason he chose to shoot in it though?

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Snyder also stated how that ending was meant to set up JL pt.II, until JL was basically dead on arrival as far as superhero extravaganza movies go.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh thank you very much. That explains it .

A system of cells interlinked
I am still processing all of this, but my first impressions are that this is about a million times better than the theatrical cut. While it is not without some flaws, it is a truly visionary take on the DC super heroes. I may end up placing this up in the top third of the rankings in all time best comic flicks.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I am still processing all of this, but my first impressions are that this is about a million times better than the theatrical cut. While it is not without some flaws, it is a truly visionary take on the DC super heroes. I may end up placing this up in the top third of the rankings in all time best comic flicks.
Totally agree. Faults, sure. At 4 hours, I'm impressed I didn't find more issues with it. After I got through, I believe I would have been Ok to see this in a theater even at that length. I'm actually eager to try it again in one sitting this time as I did have to break it up last week.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Heh. Out of curiosity I checked the first post here. 2007? Wow. I bet this thread is a rollercoaster of a read, start to finish, given what all has changed over the years.

A system of cells interlinked
Totally agree. Faults, sure. At 4 hours, I'm impressed I didn't find more issues with it. After I got through, I believe I would have been Ok to see this in a theater even at that length. I'm actually eager to try it again in one sitting this time as I did have to break it up last week.
Yes yes!

The funny thing I noticed, was that there was so much less cringe in this version, that the cringe that was there stood out a lot more. I think that speaks to the strength of the material overall, but those few instances did pull me out of the proceedings pretty abruptly. I will also state that there were several...hmm, actually more than several moments that just totally nailed the look and feel of a comic book like no other comic film has. Snyder has a real gift for visual composition, that's for sure. Lastly, it really came across well this time what an absolute powerhouse Superman is, and how really no one can deal with him without Kryptonite. He put clown suits on the rest of the justice league, and then sent Steppenwolf on a magic carpet ride, amirite?

You ready? You look ready.
I have ADHD, so I am sure it's going to take me like 10 years to watch this movie.

I do love how he was told no reshoots and then promptly blew millions in reshoots. Stick it to the man, Snyder!
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Yes yes!

The funny thing I noticed, was that there was so much less cringe in this version, that the cringe that was there stood out a lot more. I think that speaks to the strength of the material overall, but those few instances did pull me out of the proceedings pretty abruptly. I will also state that there were several...hmm, actually more than several moments that just totally nailed the look and feel of a comic book like no other comic film has. Snyder has a real gift for visual composition, that's for sure. Lastly, it really came across well this time what an absolute powerhouse Superman is, and how really no one can deal with him without Kryptonite. He put clown suits on the rest of the justice league, and then sent Steppenwolf on a magic carpet ride, amirite?
I caught a random video on YouTube the other night showing the differences between the two versions that I thought was interesting. In addition to the scene I mentioned earlier (I believe it was the opening scene of the theatrical cut in which Batman traps a para-demon on some random rooftop), other cringe-worthy scenes and jokes were culled. One in particular was when Superman asks Batman, "Do you bleed?" then tosses him when Lois distracts him. After the two fly off, it cuts back to Batman, now stretched on the grass, grumbling and muttering to himself, "Yup. something is definitely bleeding!" I half expected a trombone wah cue. Yeah. That wasn't in the new one. Thankfully!

And yes, Superman totally stepped up and kind of surprised me when he appeared. I guess his capabilities were hinted at when tracking Flash running up on him earlier. Good to see that pay off the way it did.

Personally, most all of my gripes take place in the Amazon section. Pretty much that entire segment, really. I wish that had been edited a bit more, or maybe not right up front as that nearly pulled me out completely, and I consider myself a Snyder fan hoping for a dark DC-verse to succeed. If it irritated ME as much as it did, I can only imagine how opening a movie with that would throw off a casual viewer not really invested to begin with. Or for those looking for issues. I'm surprised I'm not seeing more criticism on those specific bits. Not that I'm looking for them. Just, iderno. The few places I've stopped to read seem positive. I was not expecting that.

I have ADHD, so I am sure it's going to take me like 10 years to watch this movie.

I do love how he was told no reshoots and then promptly blew millions in reshoots. Stick it to the man, Snyder!
Granted I consider myself biased (in favor of this movie), but I was pleasantly surprised that I hardly found myself fatigued or distracted. I put about an hour in the first night and finished it off the second.

Is it bad that I liked those cringe scenes? Especially the one with Batman sprawled out on the grass.
yes. yes it is. it is very bad. it is very, very bad.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I actually liked it. Cyborg and Flash got so much more stuff to do and felt IMPORTANT to the story instead of just being there in Justice League.

It so weird watching this movie. It's like two directors were given the same story and these two movies are the results. I can see Snyder cutting it down to a 2:45 movie, but the extra stuff really helps in my opinion.

That epilogue though....now THAT dragged on. 20 minutes of nothing but set up for stuff that most likely won't happen. None of that is needed, ESPECIALLY whatever the hell Joker scene that was.

Suspect's Reviews