What are movies everyone's expected to have seen that you haven't yet?

Tools    

Victim of The Night
Two films that had a heavy buzz and lots of talk surrounding them that I will never see are The Black Swan and The Social Network. Never have watched Schindler's List either. Might get around to it someday but those first two? No thank you. No interest. La La Land. Tried to but only got a minute or two in. Have no plans to try again. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg are on TCM in a week or so and I have my DVR set but it's not really calling out to me. I have had Solaris recorded for some time and I do want to watch it but I'm waiting for the right time when I can take it on all in one go. I have to be in the right mood and well rested. I hate falling asleep and having to rewind. It took me a while to get around to Le Samourai and The Battle of Algiers but once I did I was ultimately glad I had watched.

EDIT: Oh and Joker. I've tried but I can't watch it. It makes me really uncomfortable for some reason. Same thing with a movie called Eighth Grade. It's directed by Bo Burnham and it's about this little girl who's trying to get through middle school. Started it but had to bail. Much too authentic.
Why will you never see Black Swan? If you don't mind my asking.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
It can be both since the 80's overall were quite cheesy.
That's what my friends say is that every 80s movie is cheesy. But some movies like Platoon or The Last Temptation of Christ or Raging Bull or not though.

Why will you never see Black Swan? If you don't mind my asking.
The subject matter doesn't interest me. I usually like Portman for the most part but the Aronofsky stuff I've seen has been hit or miss with me. Liked The Wrestler, thought Requiem for a Dream was good overall but wouldn't want to see that again. Tried watching The Fountain but couldn't finish it. Now that one I might give another chance. And I did watch Noah on the big screen but when the lights came on at the end I, along with everyone else in the theater, was left kind of bollixed by what we had just seen. So ... yeah. Zero interest in watching TBS.

That's what my friends say is that every 80s movie is cheesy. But some movies like Platoon or The Last Temptation of Christ or Raging Bull or not though.
You're right of course. Roadhouse has more of a cult following. You'll either buy into it or you won't. But if you feel it'll be a waste of time then go with your gut.

Victim of The Night
The subject matter doesn't interest me. I usually like Portman for the most part but the Aronofsky stuff I've seen has been hit or miss with me. Liked The Wrestler, thought Requiem for a Dream was good overall but wouldn't want to see that again. Tried watching The Fountain but couldn't finish it. Now that one I might give another chance. And I did watch Noah on the big screen but when the lights came on at the end I, along with everyone else in the theater, was left kind of bollixed by what we had just seen. So ... yeah. Zero interest in watching TBS.
Hm. It is my favorite of his films. FWIW.

Obviously it's OK if you don't feel that him or his films are your thing, but for what it's worth, Black Swan is more about mental health than it is about ballet per se. Plus it kinda veers into "horror" more than drama. There's a lot of haunting imagery in it.

Victim of The Night
Obviously it's OK if you don't feel that him or his films are your thing, but for what it's worth, Black Swan is more about mental health than it is about ballet per se. Plus it kinda veers into "horror" more than drama. There's a lot of haunting imagery in it.
I'm notorious for being the ****ing Genre Police and even I was willing to call Black Swan a Horror Movie.

If you love Black Swan, I highly recommend Perfect Blue. Though Aronofsky denied that he was influenced by Perfect Blue, they both contain a number of similarities and would make for an excellent double feature. I prefer Perfect Blue by a bit (though it's probably not fair to hold Aronfsky attempting to take full credit for Black Swan against the film, that certainly doesn't help), but both films are superb.

Hm. It is my favorite of his films. FWIW.
Well, based on the last few posts and the purported horror angle I have been swayed. If the stars should align in the future I'll give it a try. Thank you to you and Thief for the rec.

Classic musicals are a blind spot for me. I still haven't seen these:

Cabaret
Camelot
My Fair Lady
Oliver!
Singing in the Rain
The King and I
The Music Man
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Camelot and Oliver! are totally boring, you're not missing anything...Cabaret, The Music Man, and The King and I are magnificent

I haven't seen those either. Nor have I seen The Dark Knight or Fury Road. I tried watching them both but walked away from after 10 minutes.

I love old classic musicals, those are all good! The Music Man
was my nomination in the 20th HoF.

You're really well watched I noticed I might have seen Malcom X but not Once Upon a Time in America.

I need to see more of those too!
I turned Fury Road off after about 20 minutes.

Victim of The Night
If you love Black Swan, I highly recommend Perfect Blue. Though Aronofsky denied that he was influenced by Perfect Blue, they both contain a number of similarities and would make for an excellent double feature. I prefer Perfect Blue by a bit (though it's probably not fair to hold Aronfsky attempting to take full credit for Black Swan against the film, that certainly doesn't help), but both films are superb.
I've been trying to watch Perfect Blue for like 20 years and I've just never been able to find it streaming (or previously a DVD).
I am very excited to see it and have sworn to rectify it in 2021.

Victim of The Night
Well, based on the last few posts and the purported horror angle I have been swayed. If the stars should align in the future I'll give it a try. Thank you to you and Thief for the rec.
This pleases me greatly. I hope you enjoy it.

Victim of The Night
Camelot and Oliver! are totally boring, you're not missing anything...Cabaret, The Music Man, and The King and I are magnificent
I really like Camelot and I love Oliver!; like I will watch Oliver! at any time and I think it's musical numbers are just awesome, particularly Fagen's. And Oliver Reed's Bill Sykes is a menacing son of a bitch.

The trick is not minding
There’s a lot. Across all genres, and many famous directors and many countries. I just don’t have enough time to have seen them all. Some I hadn’t even heard of. Foreign films, especially with certain genres, such as Hausu, I didn’t even know of until I came to this site. Near Dark is another example that I hadn’t even heard of until I joined this site, but that’s a result of it simply falling between the cracks.
Tarkovsky is a huge blind spot, not because I never heard of him (I’ve known of his work for almost 20 years) but because his work isn’t readily available on streaming unless I have criterion. Which I don’t. Yet.
Criterion Channel honestly seems like my best bet to actually watch many of these m, but I haven’t taken the time to buy it because I have enough to watch as it is.
At some point, I’ll be to cross off all of Ozu, Kurosawa, Fellini, Truffaut, Rohmer, Malle, Chabrol, Fassbinder, Goddard, and many others. But it will take quite some time.
Good thing I’m in no rush.

A Christmas Story. It's an essential Xmas movie apparently that I some how missed as a child and into adulthood. They play it on a loop on TBS/TNT xmas morning. I've tried to sit down and watch it but for some reason can't. I think it's one of those movies you have to grow up with, for some reason I have no desire to see it.

Do The Right Thing Seen scenes. Spike is just insufferable to me. Even if I wanted to I don't want to give him the pleasure of me watching it.

Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter Both are probably fantastic I just can't get into them. I am pretty nerdy with movies but Lord Of The Rings just feels like another level of nerd. I've tried to sit down and watch them, but it's just to fantastical imo. It gives me Star Wars fandom vibes. I appreciate why Star Wars was such a touchstone moment in cinema history but I just found them a bit overrated. I had to read the first Potter book in middle school for a reading class, but that is the extent of my Potter knowledge. Just not my genre of flick.

Scent Of A Woman Just putting this because I think I am going knock it off my not watched list this weekend or soon.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)