What are movies everyone's expected to have seen that you haven't yet?

Tools    

Something tells me that this topic doesn't apply to @markf ... ha!
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

I too have these omissions. Don't judge me. Provide recommendations instead.

My recommendations for Marx brothers films;
A Night at the Opera
A Day at the Races
Room Service

My recommendation for John Cassavetes films:
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

If you want quality Marx Brother that actually feels structured like an actual film, Night at the Opera is the way to go, even though I prefer their earlier films where all attempts at storytelling and technical competence are annihilated by the sheer presence of the brothers. Duck Soup, Horse Feathers. Animal Crackers is also classic, but it is a real creaky relic.

Minnie and Moskowitz is likely the easiest film by Cassavetes to start with, but it's never really felt essential. To get that particular feel, you need to immerse yourself inside of Cassevete's indulgences, and just let him run the camera into the ground with endless minutes of improvisation. In this vein, Woman Under the Influence is probably the easiest to get into and understands its slow rhythms. Easily, the most emotionally satisfying.

As for the rest:

Husbands is his unique and self indulgent approach on steroids....or rather, lots and lots of beer and whiskey. Is the film probably most likely to put those unfamiliar with him off his movies forever. You got to build yourself up to this one. Regardless of the caveat's though, it's one of his best.

Killing of a Chinese Bookie is his slowfooted homage to gangster films. It's one of his more fascinatingly odd movies, with probably the most sad sack character ever put to film. I think by playing with genre though, a lot of people might get frustrated by this, because they might expect a little more action to happen. Cassavetes is going to Cassavette though, so don't expect him to give you much in that way. It's lethargy is partly why its so hauntingly fascinating though.

Love Streams feels like an accumulation of everything he had done up to that point, and so may be best suited to watching last. Probably his weirdest film.

Faces - very rough and primitive. But kind of sets the table for everythign he was going to do. Just grab a camera, find someone interesting, and just stare and stare until they do something. Very good

Shadows - Fairly easy to digest. Feels almost like a 60's student film. Has a quicker pace that most of his movies, but I don't feel he quite had a handle on what he really wanted to do yet though.

Gloria - Interesting, but far from essential

Opening Night - I've never got much out of this one. I should probably revisit it at some point.

Yeah, this!

Victim of The Night
My recommendations for Marx brothers films;
A Night at the Opera
A Day at the Races
Room Service
I'm a Duck Soup man, myself.

Schindler's List
Snatch
Infernal Affairs
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Joker
A Clockwork Orange
Spinal Tap
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
The Graduate
Straw Dogs (1971)

Victim of The Night
I think it's even more interesting seeing all the movies people think they are expected to see.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Lord of the Rings -- I'm not much a fantasy fan so it's just hard to get in the mood.

Roadhouse -- It just looks really cheesy buy my friends say it's one of the best movie of the 80s so maybe it's not.

I think it's even more interesting seeing all the movies people think they are expected to see.
I think they are movies that you can refer to or quote with a reasonable expectation that you won't be greeted with a confused look when you say "what's wrong with being sexy"?

As for my list, it starts with the godfather, so it's rather long.

Terrible movie.

WARNING: spoilers below
They never even go to Dallas.

Two films that had a heavy buzz and lots of talk surrounding them that I will never see are The Black Swan and The Social Network. Never have watched Schindler's List either. Might get around to it someday but those first two? No thank you. No interest. La La Land. Tried to but only got a minute or two in. Have no plans to try again. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg are on TCM in a week or so and I have my DVR set but it's not really calling out to me. I have had Solaris recorded for some time and I do want to watch it but I'm waiting for the right time when I can take it on all in one go. I have to be in the right mood and well rested. I hate falling asleep and having to rewind. It took me a while to get around to Le Samourai and The Battle of Algiers but once I did I was ultimately glad I had watched.

EDIT: Oh and Joker. I've tried but I can't watch it. It makes me really uncomfortable for some reason. Same thing with a movie called Eighth Grade. It's directed by Bo Burnham and it's about this little girl who's trying to get through middle school. Started it but had to bail. Much too authentic.

Roadhouse -- It just looks really cheesy buy my friends say it's one of the best movie of the 80s so maybe it's not.
It can be both since the 80's overall were quite cheesy.