Laugh With Matt

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
You've probably heard of "Moms" Mabley-- an old time black comic who was wildly popular on the chitlin' circuit before white audiences found her. If not, there are some pretty good routines on YT.

I'm thinking of another old time hipster comedian named Lord Buckley who was unique and way before his time in the '50s. He was a hit with the Beatnik set, and later with underground entertainer types, although he died in 1960. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Buckley

I do know of them, and have a few thick books on comedy, but have never seen them on the screen, but will check them out soon. Thanks!

This is a ****ING great interview, especially retrospectively.

Mort was considered as a replacement for "The Tonight Show" after Paar quit (again) in 1962 but eventually NBC picked Johnny Carson, but there's a show and a half on YouTube which talks about "The Modern Woman" in 1962, and boy what a difference!

Carlin does a funny (albeit exaggeration) impression of Mort, too....

Great work by Bob Costas, too.

This is a ****ING great interview, especially retrospectively.

Mort was considered as a replacement for "The Tonight Show" after Paar quit (again) in 1962 but eventually NBC picked Johnny Carson, but there's a show and a half on YouTube which talks about "The Modern Woman" in 1962, and boy what a difference!

Carlin does a funny (albeit exaggeration) impression of Mort, too....

Great work by Bob Costas, too.
Pretty hip characterization of the modern degeneration of the sexes: "the feminization of men, and the masculiniaztion of women". Ugh. He pointed it out 30 years ago.

Pretty hip characterization of the modern degeneration of the sexes: "the feminization of men, and the masculiniaztion of women". Ugh. He pointed it out 30 years ago.

He's always been ahead of the curve, but it's what got him vilified by The Establishment.

Decades later, when history showed he was correct, people those same people waited until it was all verified by The Establishment, and then they say how free we are because The Establishment told us 2+2=4

I'm just so glad we're back to normal with the new President

(Equally interesting how the protests took a summer vacation!)

The last time I saw Mort Sahl, he told a joke that always stuck with me. He would go on the road with Stan Kenton and Dave Brubeck, and he is a comedian, so it could have been linked in with that group for convenience, but I'll just repeat what I heard....

Stan Kenton tells his band he got a tip that the narcotics officers were around, so be safe in regards to your "stuff". When the band gets to the venue, a guy (no one knows) comes in with a sax and asks if he can sit in with the band.. They say sure, but he's AWFUL... so Stan Kenton tells him:

"Man, I sure hope you're a cop!"

George Carlin's 1st Appearance On The Tonight Show w/ Mort Sahl

1962. NBC was trying to find a replacement for Jack Paar, and considered Mort Sahl, but the job went to Johnny Carson unfortunately. This was actually the first time Carlin was on Network TV

Laughter is an involuntarily response and I think has more impact than information, no matter how important it is. Movies, too.

Dave Chappelle Responds To The .0000000000001%

Wow.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

FBI Kept Tabs on Mort Sahl's Jokes About It, and Hoover Thought Sahl Was a 'Sick

Just published.. This is an effective comedian. Not just being the best, but attacking real power, not ... whatever they do now (get along with their corporate sponsors)..

Not hard to imagine Hoover and the FBI in general go after a comedian. He had power. You don't write for Presidents without that skill.

https://reason.com/2022/06/30/the-fb...as-a-sick-man/

"The feds ultimately decided not to talk to Sahl about his offending jokes, fearing he would publicly roast them."

Louis CK and Shane Gillis Discuss Early Presidents

My main interest is WWII-present, but I thought as always, that if I didn't like a video, I'd turn it off. This is about 100 minutes long, but it's flown by, because it's informative and funny. And you can always sorta follow again, pause, look a few things up.