MoFo Fantasy Football 2020 - Regular Season

Tools    

Yeah I blew that one on not updating my lineup. 6 loses in a row, what a way to round out the season.

Let the night air cool you off
Welp, looks like it's time to slay the dragon. (Or be the bit in a Witcher 3 side mission where the villagers talk about the Skelliger who didn't come home.)

11 Angry Men
vs.
Nocturnal Busts

Anything can happen in fantasy football in a given week, and that's why it is bad and stupid. And that's why even having a team that looks great on paper, a team that set the league points record this year, is a very stressful affair. It's why I'd only make myself about a 65% favorite this week. In fact, I'll go further: I think the only way to be a huge favorite in this league is if the other team is really bad. If both teams even meet the threshold of "decent" you're probably never going to be much better than a 2-to-1 favorite.

And Justin's team, as you might guess, goes beyond "decent." It's a very good team, third in points this year, albeit at the top of a big pileup of mostly-equal squads. It's only put up a few big totals this year, but it's also put up very few duds; the center of gravity seems to be right around 110 points. So while I probably won't lose if I have a decent (or better) day...there's a pretty strong chance I lose if I don't. Justin's isn't a team that's very likely to bail me out in that scenario, which is expected given that we're down to just four squads.

How likely are those scenarios? Well, let's talk matchups:

Aaron Rodgers has rebeastified this year (I noticed, because I'm the poor fool who ponied up for him in the draft last year and got a really bad return). He's a very close second at QB behind Mahomes, and Justin got him in the 7th round. He's got an average matchup with Carolina. But he's been steady enough that the matchups generally haven't hinged on him. They've hinged on guys like DK Metcalf, who has a tough matchup against Washington. It'll be tougher if Gibson comes back and helps them control the time of possession, too, and given that I'm Gibson's owner that makes this particular injury situation the most important thing to watch in this matchup. Pretty much everyone else on Justin's team has an okay matchup: not good, not great. I'll take it.

Things are mixed on my end: the Titans get a great matchup in Detroit, but both Thielen and Hill have tougher ones and both are still generally very TD-dependent. That's how favorites lose playoff games, though having a few guys like that means a lot of playmakers have to miss out on paydirt at the same time. Kamara might be the biggest wild card: his matchup's fine (KC, though hopefully that at least means it'll be high-scoring in general), but it looks like Brees won't play, which has been pretty clearly bad for him so far. But Taysom Hill did get the ball to him in the air a lot more this past week, so maybe that's mitigated. I don't know.

Flex is the only real choice on my end, and it could be a real tough one: Gibson's the obvious play if he seems genuinely healthy, but coming back from turf two after a couple of weeks is dicey. I will not love playing him even if they say he's fine...but I probably still will, if only because Claypool's range of outcomes is pretty high in general, particularly with Pittsburgh's offense struggling right now.

Oh, and heads up on the defenses, since they played a huge role for a lot of teams this past week, and I snagged a couple of Ds with strong playoff matchups in the weeks leading up to this.

Parrotheads
vs.
Censored Clowns

As Hey Fred said, his team struggled last week, and in fantasy that's really all the Bye gets you: one fewer dice roll, the ability dodge the chance you'll just happen to have an awful week, or your opponent will happen to have an exceptional one. Turns out, he needed it, but fair's fair after going 11-2 in the regular season and finishing a clear 2nd in points, with plenty of breathing room from the 3rd-6th points pileup. Before that, though, his team scored 117, 111, and 130 points. He's only had a couple weeks all year you could call average, and just two you could call bad.

The big news here is that McCaffrey looks likely to miss another game, which means both that Spaulding does without him and that Fred can roll with Mike Davis in a good matchup. That's a really rough swing.

Overall, average matchups for Spaulding: good for Dobbins (though usage is a concern there), bad for Thomas (probably; still no Brees and KC's been good against receivers, but maybe the Saints play from behind and throw a lot?), and decent for Akers. That last name could be the driving force behind the upset, if it happens, as Akers has finally taken the primary role for the Rams and put up strong totals the last few weeks.

It's a real question whether Kyler Murray has come back down to earth a little, too. He was on an absolute MVP-level tear until a few weeks ago, and it's hard to say how much of his recent performance to blame on a possible lingering shoulder injury, versus the general unsustainability of his pace and the inevitability of defenses adjusting. That said, even this new, apparently mortal Murray seems good for 20+, so at worst we might just be looking at a guy who's not gonna win this one for Spaulding by himself. And that might be fine, since Watson (whose primarily value has been his stupidly high floor; he hasn't scored below 16 all season), has a tough matchup with Indy.

I'd probably go with Hey Fred here even if both teams were at full strength (wincing while doing it because McCaffrey's about as likely as any non-QB to put up 30+), but with the McCaffrey-Davis flip there'll be no wincing. You can see the path to the upset, but it's narrow.

All that (whew!) said, there are currently no players from the Clowns-Parrots matchup playing on Thursday.

For Busts-Men, I've got Waller at TE and Carlson at K going Thursday, and Justin's got Jacobs (Raiders all).

Holds if you beat me this week, you'll propel yourself into first place in the loser brackets. Good luck? My team only put up its highest total of the year last week so I'm betting I'm only good for about an 87 this week. Come get some tiger!

Didn't realize until reading my recap that my entire team only had one TD last week, compared to five for TONGO's team.

I'm going to stubbornly keep McCaffrey in my line-up until he's officially ruled out, but barring some miraculous turnaround, it certainly appears that I'll be without him yet again. (Damn those weekly Monday reports that fill me with false optimism every week!) Coutee will be my likely replacement since he just put up 18 points on Indy a couple weeks ago. That would mean @Hey Fredrick and I have two sets of same-team WRs (Cooks/Coutee & Kupp/Woods).

Kyler Murray finally started scrambling again last week. His reluctance to run (which I'm assuming stemmed from a fear of worsening his ailing shoulder injury) is what caused his fantasy numbers to drop. Everyone in the Eagles secondary seemed to leave with an injury last week, so maybe that means Murray will get back to those 30+ totals he was averaging in the first half of the season. The Eagles made Daniel Jones look like Michael Vick in two separate games this season, so it seems likely to me that Murray finds success with his legs this week. Deshaun Watson is a great QB, but team situation and a tough opponent makes me feel like that's one position at which I have an advantage over Fredrick.

I'd also give myself a slight edge at WR1 and WR2. Every other skill position favors Fredrick. One thing that gives me hope is my belief that Akers can outscore Cook. Chicago held Cook to his second lowest point total of the season. It took him 30 carries to reach 96 yards. If the Bears can limit his big-play potential again (and keep him out of the end zone!), maybe I'll have a chance. The Jets have faced a lot of back-up RBs in recent weeks; otherwise they'd probably be a green light instead of neutral gray. If the Rams give Akers the same heavy workload he's had the past two games, I expect him to blow past his current projection. Although this week I'll need him to chip in a TD or two to go along with the yardage.

There's always a chance I add someone late in the week and throw them into my flex, but most likely the only start/sit decision I'm debating this week is which defense to play. If Dwayne Haskins is the starter for Washington, I'll be sticking with Seattle. If Alex Smith returns, I'll likely pivot to New England. Belichick typically feasts on rookie QBs, and Miami might be without the majority of their skill players.

I took the early lead... how do you like that, Yoda?

EDIT FOR FUTURE CONTEXT: I am up 0.10 to 0.00 after my running back had a 1 yard carry. Very funny joke by me.

Jacobs getting stuffed at the 2 yard line are the type of things that will keep me from winning, since I can't have any points left on the field. It's even worse when you consider it's basically an 8 point swing play, because instead of me getting 6 and Yoda getting 1 from Carlson, I get nothing and he gets 3.

After the above, Carr left with an injury, which I assumed was very bad for me and pretty good for Justin. Especially since their usual backup is out. But Mariota did great after entering, throwing a 35-yard TD to Waller...but in a subsequent possession there was a pass interference call in the end zone, and you know what that means: lead back gets the one-yard plunge, which pulls it back into something approximating the projections, for now at least. Justin probably needed that.

Man, what a beast Waller's been. Took him in the 6th, didn't feel amazing about it but I thought there was a chance he'd be in a sub-Kelce TE tier with the 2nd-5th guys, and he's been better: he's been in a clear second tier by himself. I'd planned to go for someone cheap because I can usually find a lot of value there, but all of my other skill position targets were gone so I called an audible, and I couldn't be happier I did.

Wow. Drew Brees is playing (they somehow kept it a secret all week), and Michael Thomas isn't, apparently.

Gibson doubtful, which is not surprising. Been assuming I'd have to roll with Claypool in his place.

Welp, nearly snatched up Sony Michel but spent several minutes hemming and hawing about who to drop (and got some texts I had to respond to in the middle of that) and just missed the window. Unlikely to matter but it's always interesting when it's that close.

That Michael Thomas news really took the wind out of my sails, especially after I was feeling good about his point potential with the announcement of Brees returning. Now Thomas has been put on IR, so I won't have him next week either.

Yeah, it's a tough break in a season full of them. I guess he never really shook the ankle stuff, which was the risk, but it's still surprising because it seems weird that he'd come back early given their obvious playoff hopes and the fact that they probably don't need him to get that far.

I rock myself to sleep at night fantasizing that we really did swap McCaffrey/Thomas for Henry/Thielen a few weeks ago.

I think I even started writing the PM.

I was eyeing Thomas pretty much all year, because "star player is hurt on a team that needs help NOW or their season is over" is exactly the kind of opportunity you wanna pounce on, especially off to a hot start where you can easily absorb their missed time, which I could. It's win-win. But I held off on targeting Thomas before you got him because there were too many questions (the team discipline stuff had a little something to do with that), and then again later after you got him. I worried they had too many receiving options, and that that fact (along with their win streak) gave them a lot of reason to hold him out if anything lingered.

I definitely dodged a bullet there. Seems to be what these seasons always turn on. A lot of stuff makes perfect sense in the moment its considered and then goes really well or really badly after.