My 100 Favoriteish Movies

→ in
Tools    

Love A Thousand Clowns and The Remains of the Day...Hopkins should have won his second Oscar for The Remains of the Day

Agreed. Magnificent performance.

Thank you! "Exquisite" is an appropriate word for that film.

Loving Vincent is basically a PBS murder mystery presented with, well, exquisite animation.
Agree...The Remains of the Day is exquisite

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)
PR: N/A

Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Adaptation (1989)
PR: 1

Serenity (2005)
PR: 3

Room (2015)
PR: 2

About Time (2013)
PR: 5

Victim of The Night
...The Remains of the Day...Hopkins should have won his second Oscar for The Remains of the Day
You're not wrong.
For probably a decade, Hopkins' performance in tRotD was my standard against which I judged all other acting. Probably still wouldn't be a bad measure.

About Time. Didn't expect that one at all. No one ever talks about them anymore.

To be honest, I didn't really expect it either. I've never really thought of it as my favorite, but it happened to be on the day I finalized the list.

Mission: Impossible III (2006)
PR: 74

The Replacements (2000)
PR: 56

Rocky II (1979)
PR: Not ranked

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Leatherheads (2008)
PR: 48
Nice to see some love for The Replacements

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)

The Shining (1980)

Rocky (1976)

Rocky Balboa (2006)

The Terminator (1984)
PR: 46
Loved The Shining, but Rocky Balboa sucked.

Loved The Shining, but Rocky Balboa sucked.

I never expected to enjoy The Shining at all, being a fan of neither horror or Kubrick. I watched it because I wanted to see Doctor Sleep, but the more I got into the original, the less interested I was in a sequel. The sequel turned out to be pretty good too, though.

What don't you like about Rocky Balboa?

Loved Creed and JoJo Rabbit

I've had a strange relationship with the Rocky franchise. I've always liked the character, but I didn't love any of the movies until Creed. That was when I felt like I could start to call myself a Rocky fan. Since then the other movies have slowly continued to grow on me.

I recently watched the workprint of Rocky V that John Avildsen posted online and it was probably the biggest improvement I've ever seen over a theatrical cut.

I never expected to enjoy The Shining at all, being a fan of neither horror or Kubrick. I watched it because I wanted to see Doctor Sleep, but the more I got into the original, the less interested I was in a sequel. The sequel turned out to be pretty good too, though.

What don't you like about Rocky Balboa?
The main things that bothered me about Rocky Balboa were the death of Adrian...she was such a strong part of the character's legacy and it was really difficult to accept the character being killed off. The other thing that bothered me about the film is that, by this point, the Rocky character was too old to be stepping in the ring again, just couldn't get behind that.

Great list, includes a lot of movies from my favorites like Phone Booth or Avengers

The main things that bothered me about Rocky Balboa were the death of Adrian...she was such a strong part of the character's legacy and it was really difficult to accept the character being killed off. The other thing that bothered me about the film is that, by this point, the Rocky character was too old to be stepping in the ring again, just couldn't get behind that.

Very fair points. It sucks losing Adrian, but of course she never would have let him fight at that point, and I don't think he'd have felt the need to.

As for the fight itself, achieving the impossible is a staple of the character, and I think Sly did a great job of providing reasons Rocky was able to do so throughout the series. He also sold this one by looking like such a beast.

This movie seemed like a ridiculous idea at the time, but I'm about to give a near-80 Indiana Jones a chance (though much less of a chance than if Spielberg were still at the helm)...