Code Unknown: Constantine tries out a 100 films list

→ in
Tools    

Some very solid picks - plus Forrest Gump.
I've gone back and forth on Gump, I really loved it for a very long time, then I couldn't stand it and questioned why I liked it to begin with, now I've come around again to consider it a masterpiece, dumb but brilliant in a certain way.

Robocop / 1987 / dir. Paul Verhoeven

Brokeback Mountain / 2005 / dir. Ang Lee

Enter the Dragon / 1973 / dir. Robert Clouse

The Godfather / 1972 / dir. Francis Ford Coppola

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly / 1966 / dir. Sergio Leone
That's a great line-up of films.

With the exception of the last one, that last batch is bloody fantastic.
No spaghetti with your western?

Missing / 1982 / dir. Costa - Gavras
Revisited this one recently after it was covered in the Junk Filter podcast, and I think it really nails the abnormal quality of life under an oppressive dictatorship, for lack of the better word. So many two-fisted images (the horse running through the streets, the helicopter circling the hotel, the piles of dead bodies).

Once Upon A Time in the West / 1968 / dir. Sergio Leone

Lawrence of Arabia / 1962 / dir. David Leann

Airplane! / 1980 / dir. Jerry & David Zucker, Jim Abrahams

Ghostbusters / 1984 / dir. Ivan Reitman

Do The Right Thing / 1989 / dir. Spike Lee

Haven't seen Ghostbusters yet for some reason, but the other four are great. Once Upon a Time in the West is probably my favorite of that bunch.

Haven't seen Ghostbusters yet for some reason, but the other four are great. Once Upon a Time in the West is probably my favorite of that bunch.
So many creative genius for me personally spawned from that movie. Murray, Ramis, and Aykroyd are my generations Marx Bros. I suppose. And of course, Ernie Hudson was there to help ground the whole thing.

I forgot the opening line.
I've been meaning to see Do the Right Thing for a long, long time now. The only one out of the very fine last 15 I haven't seen. Very fine except for Forrest Gump - I don't get the love for Forrest Gump.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

No spaghetti with your western?
No Western in my Western.

With a few exceptions, of course. Bad Girls being one of them.

Again, with the exception of the first, that last block is fantastic.

The Conversation / 1974 / dir. Francis Ford Coppola

Akira / 1988 / dir. Katsuhiro Otomo

The Day The Earth Stood Still / 1951 / dir. Robert Wise

Apocalypse Now / 1979 / dir. Francis Ford Coppola

Alien / 1979 / dir. Ridley Scott

I used to really dislike/hate Alien but the last couple of times I've watched it I thought it was ok. I think of it like a slasher now and that helps. I've not seen Akiri (I don't like anime, I just can't sit with it) and Apocolypse Now is great, but I don't know how much I like it. I know I liked it when I was young, but even when I made my 100 I sat and wondered how much do I really like it? Do I enjoy it? And I don't think I do now. Or, didn't then. That was a long time ago. I actually remember prefering the Redux verison, but I only saw that the once.

Welcome to the human race...
One of the better bunches on display here - only Ghostbusters and The Day The Earth Stood Still are the ones I'd single out as being less than great.

Chinatown / 1974 / dir. Roman Polanski

The Searchers / 1956 / dir. John Ford

Pulp Fiction / 1994 / dir. Quentin Tarantino

Ghostbusters and The Day The Earth Stood Still are the ones I'd single out as being less than great.
blasphemy.

Zodiac / 2007 / dir. David Fincher

Goodfellas / 1990 / dir. Martin Scorsese

Blue Velvet / 1986 / dir. David Lynch

Zodiac / 2007 / dir. David Fincher

Goodfellas / 1990 / dir. Martin Scorsese

Blue Velvet / 1986 / dir. David Lynch
Need to revisit Blue Velvet soon. Don't remember it that well. The other two are really good.