The MOFO Preliminary Discussion of the Top 100 Comedies

→ in
Tools    

Is it ok to change my guess for most appearances on the list from Steve Martin to Kermit the Frog?

Steve Martin....thanks for reminding me of The Jerk and The Man With Two Brains. He was in a bunch of other funny comedies too like Plains, Tanks and Gyromobiles
"Roxanne" and "Father of the Bride" are both entertaining as well.

Is it ok to change my guess for most appearances on the list from Steve Martin to Kermit the Frog?
I’ve always considered Kermit’s films as erotic thrillers and not comedies, but maybe that’s just me.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
A little mention for some British comedies...

Ealing Comedies
Such as Passport to Pimlico, The Ladykillers, The Man in the White Suit, Whisky Galore. My top pick would be Kind Hearts and Coronets - Alec Guinness plays multiple parts in this story of a man who tries to bump off a whole collection of distant relatives.

Richard Curtis Rom-coms
Four Weddings and a Funeral is probably the top pick here, although Notting Hill a close runner up. Love Actually and Bridget Jones's Diary are also available. The less said about The Boat that Rocked the better...

The Brit-com
Almost a genre in itself, in which a group of usually mismatched, usually working-class people band together to do a usually quirky activity and/or take on the bosses, in a mostly heart-warming (or unbearably cheesy, your mileage may vary) way, with some usually gentle comedy and probably a death just to balance things out. Brassed Off is probably the original, The Full Monty, in which a group of unemployed Sheffield steelworkers take to stripping probably the best example. There have been hordes over the year, from Calendar Girls to Kinky Boots to Lucky Break.

Post Modern Trips
Before The Trip there were 24 Hour Party People, a comedic tour through the Manchester music scene and Factory Records and A Cock and Bull Story, also starring Steve Coogan and directed by Michael Winterbottom, with plenty of fourth wall breaking. A Cock and Bull Story owes something I think to 1963’s Oscar-winning Tom Jones, also worth a watch. After the Trip there was Greed, a thinly veiled skewering of a certain fashion mogul.

King of Comedy
Before Paddington and its sequel took the world by storm, director Paul King (also the director of TV’s The Mighty Boosh) directed the joyfully odd Bunny and the Bull which fans of Paddington’s visual quirks might also enjoy.

Dark and Pointed
Chris Morris, Sam Bain, Jesse Armstrong and Armando Ianucci have between them created some dark, funny and at times boundary pushing TV including Peep Show, The Thick of It, Brass Eye and Succession. But they are variously responsible for a few films too: Four Lions is a comedy about hapless terrorists, In the Loop a satire about political manoeuvring. The Death of Stalin is so dark it almost goes through comedy and comes out the other side.

The Best of the Rest
Monty Python needs no introduction. Life of Brian is probably a more complete and consistent film, but I'm not sure I've ever laughed more than I laughed when I saw Holy Grail for the first time. I’m going to Carry On without an entire sub-genre of badly dated 60s and 70s sex comedies. I will mention Withnail & I in which drunk unemployed actors go on holiday by mistake, a cult classic. Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels is pretty funny. Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are pretty well loved on here. The World’s End is the Godfather Part III of the bunch. Some people consider Trainspotting a comedy, but it's more of a mixed genre to me.

"Roxanne" and "Father of the Bride" are both entertaining as well.
It's been a long while since I seen those, but yeah I remember liking them. Time to watch me some Steve Martin comedies.

I'll be brave and say the 1920s for the decade with the most entries.

Still waiting for the most important question though: How high up the countdown will The Titfield Thunderbolt appear?

Another question
Which decade will have the most entries on the final list.
Comedies that made the previous decade lists…

Pre-‘30s (a Top 50)
The General (#2)
The Gold Rush (#4)
Sherlock Jr. (#8)
The Kid (#10)
Safety Last (#11)
Steamboat Bill, Jr. (#33)
The Circus (#37)
The Goat (#46)

1930s
It Happened One Night (#3)
City Lights (#5)
Modern Times (#7)/i
Bringing Up Baby (#8)
Duck Soup (#12)
Trouble in Paradise (#20)
The Thin Man (#25)
A Night at the Opera (#27)
My Man Godfrey (#31)
Make Way for Tomorrow (#32)
Ninotchka (#36)
You Can’t Take it with You (#39)
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (#47)
Horse Feathers (#51)
The Awful Truth (#60)
Destry Rides Again (#72)
Sons of the Desert (#80)
Way Out West (#81)
Monkey Business (#91)

1940s
The Great Dictator (#11)
His Girl Friday (#14)
Arsenic & Old Lace (#18)
The Shop Around the Corner (#19)
Kind Hearts & Coronets (#26)
The Ghost & Mrs. Muir (#33)
The Philadelphia Story (#37)
Miracle on 34th Street (#53)
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (#65)
Sullivan’s Travels (#68)
To Be or Not To Be (#83)
Blithe Spirit (#90)

1950s
Singin’ in the Rain (#10)
Some Like it Hot (#11)
All About Eve (#12)
Harvey (#31)
Mon Oncle (#67)
The Seven Year Itch (#74)
Duck Amuck (#89)
Roman Holiday (#92)

1960s
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (#4)
The Graduate (#6)
The Apartment (#8)
Playtime (#31)
A Hard Day’s Night (#53)
Charade (#57)
Barefoot in the Park (#91)

1970s
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (#13)
Young Frankenstein (#15)
Harold & Maude (#27)
Annie Hall (#30)
Blazing Saddles (#33)
Monty Python’s Life of Brian (#41)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (#46)
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (#47)
Manhattan (#52)
The Jerk (#54)
The Sting (#57)
Animal House (#66)
The Muppet Movie (#69)
Paper Moon (#74)
MASH (#78)
Being There (#98)

1980s
Back to the Future (#3)
The Breakfast Club (#13)
Ghostbusters (#20)
Brazil (#21)
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (#23)
The Princess Bride (#27)
An American Werewolf in London (#28)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (#31)
This Is Spın̈al Tap (#33)
After Hours (#35)
Raising Arizona (#40)
Airplane! (#43)
Gremlins (#46)
The Blues Brothers (#50)
The Purple Rose of Cairo (#53)
Tootsie (#62)
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (#71)
National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (#80)
Diner (#81)
Heathers (#85)
Beetlejuice (#87)
A Christmas Story (#90)
Modern Romance (#98)
Hannah & Her Sisters (#100)

1990s
The Big Lebowski (#6)
Groundhog Day (#25)
Clerks (#45)
Dazed & Confused (#48)
Ed Wood (#49)
Dumb and Dumber (#59)
As Good as it Gets (#62)
Rushmore (#87)

2000s
Amélie (#16)
Shaun of the Dead (#20)
Lost in Translation (#32)
The Royal Tenenbaums (#35)
Sideways (#39)
In Bruges (#56)
A Serious Man (#66)
Fantastic Mr. Fox (#70)
Snatch (#71)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (#76)
Juno (#89)
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (#100)

Millennium (not included in 2000s list)
Wonder Boys (#39)
Ghost World (#45)
Lars and the Real Girl (#84)
The Artist (#88)
Black Dynamite (#97)

Westerns (not included in a decade list)
City Slickers (#62)
The Frisco Kid (#70)
¡Three Amigos! (#82)
Support Your Local Sheriff! (#89)

Sci-Fi (not included in a decade list)
Men in Black (#61)
Galaxy Quest (#88)

The '80s had the most, with twenty-four. There are over a hundred and twenty movies listed there. But if I were a betting man (which I am not) I would wager less than half of those listed above will make it. We shall see.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence

Richard Curtis Rom-coms
Four Weddings and a Funeral is probably the top pick here, although Notting Hill a close runner up. Love Actually and Bridget Jones's Diary are also available. The less said about The Boat that Rocked the better...
This group is within the top tier on my consideration list especially the first three titles you mention here. Hope to find place for more than one of these.

Victim of The Night
For what it's worth, L.A. Story is my favorite Steve Martin movie and will be high on my overall list.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
A little mention for some British comedies...

Ealing Comedies
Such as Passport to Pimlico, The Ladykillers, The Man in the White Suit, Whisky Galore. My top pick would be Kind Hearts and Coronets - Alec Guinness plays multiple parts in this story of a man who tries to bump off a whole collection of distant relatives.

Richard Curtis Rom-coms

The Brit-com
Almost a genre in itself, in which a group of usually mismatched, usually working-class people band together to do a usually quirky activity and/or take on the bosses, in a mostly heart-warming (or unbearably cheesy, your mileage may vary) way, with some usually gentle comedy and probably a death just to balance things out. Brassed Off is probably the original, The Full Monty, in which a group of unemployed Sheffield steelworkers take to stripping probably the best example. There have been hordes over the year, from Calendar Girls to Kinky Boots to Lucky Break.

Post Modern Trips
Before The Trip there were 24 Hour Party People, a comedic tour through the Manchester music scene and Factory Records and A Cock and Bull Story, also starring Steve Coogan and directed by Michael Winterbottom, with plenty of fourth wall breaking. A Cock and Bull Story owes something I think to 1963’s Oscar-winning Tom Jones, also worth a watch. After the Trip there was Greed, a thinly veiled skewering of a certain fashion mogul.

King of Comedy
Before Paddington and its sequel took the world by storm, director Paul King (also the director of TV’s The Mighty Boosh) directed the joyfully odd Bunny and the Bull which fans of Paddington’s visual quirks might also enjoy.

Dark and Pointed
Chris Morris, Sam Bain, Jesse Armstrong and Armando Ianucci have between them created some dark, funny and at times boundary pushing TV including Peep Show, The Thick of It, Brass Eye and Succession. But they are variously responsible for a few films too: Four Lions is a comedy about hapless terrorists, In the Loop a satire about political manoeuvring. The Death of Stalin is so dark it almost goes through comedy and comes out the other side.

The Best of the Rest
Monty Python needs no introduction. Life of Brian is probably a more complete and consistent film, but I'm not sure I've ever laughed more than I laughed when I saw Holy Grail for the first time. I’m going to Carry On without an entire sub-genre of badly dated 60s and 70s sex comedies. I will mention Withnail & I in which drunk unemployed actors go on holiday by mistake, a cult classic. Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels is pretty funny. Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are pretty well loved on here. The World’s End is the Godfather Part III of the bunch. Some people consider Trainspotting a comedy, but it's more of a mixed genre to me.
Excellent listing. I have Guinness films on my watchlist and already love Kind Hearts and need to see white suit abd whiskey galore is on my radar.

I'd add the original 2007 Death at a Funeral to the list. NOT the American remake.

Oh noooooo I made a really rough preliminary list and it's almost 40 titles and it's not even done heeellllpppp
Simply remove the first fifteen or so and replace them with The Titfield Thunderbolt - jobsagood'un ..... oh wait, that'll probably mean it appears on your list twice then though which I don't think is allowed. Sorry, I tried to help

We have two ballots so far with 46 titles. I think Yoda is right, there are going to be a lot of unique film entries. It will be interesting when we have 20 or so ballots to see if we can get some consensus.