Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
There isn't much to discuss in terms of actual S(J)W movies obviously. However the fallout within Disney and Lucasfilm given the current situation is very interesting.

The only reason you drop into these threads is to insult me for complaining about SW, you can't actually defend what's happening so you insult fans, a bit like Rian Johnson.

I don't need to hope episode 9 will fail, it already has. My hope is that whatever they do after that is better.
Is it really that interesting or do you just want an excuse to make posts so angry they have to be edited by Yoda?

Most (if not all) of the people in this thread are fans of Star Wars and most of them manage to avoid resorting to empty name-calling and repetitive complaints so I don't actually bother them and vice versa. There are a lot of different types of Star Wars fan and the kind that draw Johnson's ire do so for very good (or should I say very bad) reasons.

As for Episode IX, consider that the reason I'm not "defending" it is because at this stage we know barely anything about it and can only make the loosest of guesses as to how it'll turn out (good or bad). If your attitude towards Episode IX is that it's already failed, then how much hope do you really have that any subsequent movies are going to be better?

The Last Jedi is the best star wars movie

also Im excited for Ep. 9, and fascinated to see JJ Abrams do something he's almost never done before: finish a story.

also Im excited for Ep. 9, and fascinated to see JJ Abrams do something he's almost never done before: finish a story.
best star wars movie... just lol

We've gone on holiday by mistake

Iro stop making alts!!

In fact, I'd say it and Empire are the only truly great star wars films (though, for what it's worth, all i of the one's I've seen—yet to see Solo—are at the very least pretty good films).

Iro stop making alts!!
I'm a real person, thank you very much

But yeah, it's the best star wars film, and frankly it's not close, in my opinion.

Also Rose Tico is a fantastic character, Holdo was great, The Canto Bight sequence is essential and makes the entire series better in like 12 different ways, Luke's arc is magnificent, actually, every character's arc is fantastic for that matter, and it's got the most visually impressive moment in any star wars film (ramming at lightspeed). I watched the film again last night, and I was just enamored with it all over again (I've now seen it 4 times).

Watch it again, but with an open mind. Engage with the movie on its own terms. It does what it does very well, even if what it does wasn't maybe what some fans had wanted (I'd argue what it does is like, orders of magnitude more interesting than what those fans wanted, for what it's worth). Maybe the film will surprise you on rewatch.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
You know you are free to not click on Star Wars threads if the criticism is such a problem for you.

At the moment Star Wars is looking like the biggest **** up in movie history so that's gonna warrant a bit of discussion from time to time, especially on a forum, you know dedicated to movie discussion.

They won't make anymore $$$ until they get rid of *****, state Rian Johnston isn't getting his own trilogy and stop with all the SJW bull****. Rian Johnson continues to outright insult fans on his twitter, clearly a monumental ego.
I know I may not get an answer, but what is so "SJW" about Star Wars that has you so up in arms? I'm not going to assume anything about you, since I don't know you, but I don't understand what that even means.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
In fact, I'd say it and Empire are the only truly great star wars films (though, for what it's worth, all i of the one's I've seen—yet to see Solo—are at the very least pretty good films).

Iro stop making alts!!
I'm a real person, thank you very much

But yeah, it's the best star wars film, and frankly it's not close, in my opinion.

Also Rose Tico is a fantastic character, Holdo was great, The Canto Bight sequence is essential and makes the entire series better in like 12 different ways, Luke's arc is magnificent, actually, every character's arc is fantastic for that matter, and it's got the most visually impressive moment in any star wars film (ramming at lightspeed). I watched the film again last night, and I was just enamored with it all over again (I've now seen it 4 times).

Watch it again, but with an open mind. Engage with the movie on its own terms. It does what it does very well, even if what it does wasn't maybe what some fans had wanted (I'd argue what it does is like, orders of magnitude more interesting than what those fans wanted, for what it's worth). Maybe the film will surprise you on rewatch.
How bout dem you mother jokes lol. They probably hold up to repeat viewings too am I rite???

How bout dem you mother jokes lol. They probably hold up to repeat viewings too am I rite???
Star Wars is a silly action adventure franchise made to appeal to children (which is not a slight, there are some incredible works of art that come out of children's media), it's always had silly one-liners. There is exactly one 'your mother' joke, not jokes, and yes, it, like many other lines in the films, is very silly. Remember, this is the franchise that immortalized the phrase 'stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking, nerf-herder'. Not exactly the bastion of clever, adult-aimed humor.

Also Last Jedi contains my two favorite jokes in the franchise. The 'ship is actually an iron' visual gag is clever (also using camera work to tell a joke rather than dialogue actually requires, like, thought and care with the visual design, which is really cool!). The other one is the 'That's the force!" joke. Not only did I laugh, but it's humor that reveals character. We learn that, while we know Rey is very powerful, she doesn't understand that power, she's still a naive young adult who has a lot to learn as she, *ahem* takes her first steps into a larger world. It also aligns well with the fact that Luke learned from Yoda, another teacher who had a sense of humor.

Sure, a lot of the humor is silly, but it's supposed to be, because that's how Star Wars has always been, and like Star Wars films before it, even the silly jokes sometimes have a larger narrative purpose or at the very least thought and intention behind them.

Listen you like the film that’s great - I despise it. I definitely don’t agree that Star Wars is generally silly or catered to just children - especially the originals. It’s been described as a space melodrama, which I’d agree with and has it’s serious moments.

You can justify the comedy elements. Good points, credit to you and your arguments. To me though that humour makes me cringe and borders on making me physically ill lol.

Listen you like the film that’s great - I despise it. I definitely don’t agree that Star Wars is generally silly or catered to just children - especially the originals. It’s been described as a space melodrama, which I’d agree with and has it’s serious moments.

You can justify the comedy elements. Good points, credit to you and your arguments. To me though that humour makes me cringe and borders on making me physically ill lol.
Sounds like the argument of a stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf-herder tbh.

In seriousness though, silly and serious aren't mutually exclusive. The original trilogy has a lot of silly stuff, and a lot of serious stuff, because it's a fun adventure. Last Jedi has a lot of silly stuff, and a lot of serious stuff (hell I'd argue it takes the universe more seriously on a thematic level than any film previous).

And the fact that it's aimed for kids is just that, a fact. George Lucas described it as such. Again, children's media can also be serious and have artistic merit, there's no shame in it. Pixar is one of the most consistent production company's in the industry right now for critically acclaimed films, and all of their movies are animated, family friendly films. My favorite TV show of all time is a cartoon called Avatar: The Last Airbender, which is a kids show made on Nickelodeon that has a lot of silly comic relief and also is maybe one of the best narratives about imperialism and war that I've ever seen.

Being kid friendly and silly doesn't mean it can't also be mature and appeal to adults. You can do both. In fact, I'd argue that real maturity leaves room for the ability to laugh at yourself a bit and just enjoy the thing. Self-seriousness to an extreme degree is how we get juvenile half-baked films like Batman v Superman: joyless, soulless, and grim-dark just for the sake of it.

You're allowed to dislike the film, and its humor, but to act like Star Wars isn't designed to be kid-friendly and fun and sometimes silly, is just not correct. I'm also just curious as to why the silly stuff in Last Jedi bugs you so much but the silly stuff in Empire doesn't?

Lol the first few line made me laugh. That’s humour! It was timed well. The rest...I’ll respond to another time. I just can’t right now. Respect and may the force be with you.

I know I may not get an answer, but what is so "SJW" about Star Wars that has you so up in arms? I'm not going to assume anything about you, since I don't know you, but I don't understand what that even means.
I would say two things have me majorly up in arms.

1) Lucasfilm/RJ/Media have basically labelled those who don't like TLJ as not liking it for political reasons, "manbabies", "don't like strong women", "rascist alt rights who don't like black leads/strong women/ethnic minorities". They are hiding behind these falsehoods when in fact people of all kinds of diverse backgrounds universally dislike TLJ for its nonsensical story.

2) SJW issues are creeping into Star Wars and they add nothing to the plot and basically distract you from what should be some fun escapism for all the family. People don't want to take their kids to see Solo when you have one of the writers banging the "Lando is a pansexual" drum.

Jon Kasdan

Verified account

@JonKasdan
Follow
Follow @JonKasdan

More
Sorry to have brought identity/gender politics into... NOPE. Not sorry AT ALL 'cause I think the GALAXY George gave birth to in '77 is big enough for EVERYONE: straight, gay, black, white, brown, Twi'lek, Sullustan, Wookiee, DROID & anything inbetween. #droidrights #weAREsentient
8:43 pm - 18 May 2018

One of the comments below puts it quite well, "shame you forget to make a decent story".

In the Last Jedi we have "dumb flyboy" Po being lorded over by Admiral Holdo and kept in the dark for no apparent reason other than to seemingly have a strong female be in charge and put "the man" in his place. The character Rose played by an Asian actress seems to be more diversity box ticking. Luke Skywalker turned in to a joke, is it cause he's a powerful white male who knows?

The focus seems to be in the wrong place, just concentrate your efforts on good stories, if those stories happen to have 3 strong transsexual muslim leads then who cares as long as it makes sense to the story.

Is it really that interesting or do you just want an excuse to make posts so angry they have to be edited by Yoda?

Most (if not all) of the people in this thread are fans of Star Wars and most of them manage to avoid resorting to empty name-calling and repetitive complaints so I don't actually bother them and vice versa.
Is it so terrible to name call those that have presided over the destruction of my favourite movie franchise?

There are a lot of different types of Star Wars fan and the kind that draw Johnson's ire do so for very good (or should I say very bad) reasons..
Of course there are an extreme minority out there and no one condones that, poor Kelly Marie Tran forced off social media by awful bullies. It's not any actor/actresses fault that they played a hated character in a hated movie with a terrible story.

Johnson with his monumental ego though is trying to have us believe that the majority of haters are like this. He refuses to eat humble pie and apologise for what is the most hated SW movie. All he has to say is "hey guys I tried to do something different and clearly you guys don't like it, I'm sorry we will try to do better", but no "it's wow what a bunch of manbabies and racists, my film is amazing". Lucasfilm have and will continue to be punished severely for this attitude.

As for Episode IX, consider that the reason I'm not "defending" it is because at this stage we know barely anything about it and can only make the loosest of guesses as to how it'll turn out (good or bad). If your attitude towards Episode IX is that it's already failed, then how much hope do you really have that any subsequent movies are going to be better?
I think its going to be incredibly difficult for JJ to pick up the ashes of his original story outline and make some sort of coherent continuation/ending. Also rumours are that this wont be a trilogy, just another episode.

My attitude is that I wont see it along with millions of others unless;

-KK fired
-Rian Johnston publicly admonished by Disney/Lucasfilm for his behaviour and stripped of his trilogy.
-SJW agendas are gone from these movies.
-Some sort of public acknowledgement that fans are not happy and they will strive to do better.

I'm hopeful for great stuff from Disney SW as I've said many times but I don't think that will start with Episode 9. Even if the film is good in a 8/10 sort of way people are so angry that they will stay away.

I would say two things have me majorly up in arms.

1) Lucasfilm/RJ/Media have basically labelled those who don't like TLJ as not liking it for political reasons, "manbabies", "don't like strong women", "rascist alt rights who don't like black leads/strong women/ethnic minorities". They are hiding behind these falsehoods when in fact people of all kinds of diverse backgrounds universally dislike TLJ for its nonsensical story.
Leaving aside whether or not TLJ even counts as nonsensical (and there are enough arguments that it isn't), it doesn't help when there's enough overlap between the "nonsense" haters and the "bigot" haters (and of their respective complaints) that it's hardly worth making the distinction.

2) SJW issues are creeping into Star Wars and they add nothing to the plot and basically distract you from what should be some fun escapism for all the family. People don't want to take their kids to see Solo when you have one of the writers banging the "Lando is a pansexual" drum.
Or it's a matter of Star Wars evolving to fit the times and being more direct in reflecting its overall progressive/anti-fascist sentiments than the vague-enough-to-seem-generic originals. Positing that it's meant to be "fun escapism" and nothing else sounds like an ideological cop-out more than anything else (speaking of ideological cop-outs, the fact that the writer calls Lando pansexual only to not bother explicitly indicating that in the film proper is bad because it just sounds like an empty promise that's more likely to anger your average "SJW" than be appreciated by them).

One of the comments below puts it quite well, "shame you forget to make a decent story".

In the Last Jedi we have "dumb flyboy" Po being lorded over by Admiral Holdo and kept in the dark for no apparent reason other than to seemingly have a strong female be in charge and put "the man" in his place. The character Rose played by an Asian actress seems to be more diversity box ticking. Luke Skywalker turned in to a joke, is it cause he's a powerful white male who knows?
More of the same complaints that have been countered again and again. He lost a squad of bombers and gives her no reason to trust him. Complaining about "diversity box ticking" makes it really difficult to prove that you're not like the racist/sexist haters. Treating the film's attempts to examine and develop Luke as something more than yet another archetypal chosen one hero as a "joke". We already did this for dozens of pages.

That being said, you're not going to get much argument from me about Solo in particular. Its attempts at keeping up the sociopolitical commentary of the previous Disney installments is way more ham-fisted and problematic (and only one of its many problems).

Is it so terrible to name call those that have presided over the destruction of my favourite movie franchise?
If it means that your post now ends in "Last edited by Yoda", then yeah, chances are you may have crossed a line there.

Of course there are an extreme minority out there and no one condones that, poor Kelly Marie Tran forced off social media by awful bullies. It's not any actor/actresses fault that they played a hated character in a hated movie with a terrible story.
Johnson with his monumental ego though is trying to have us believe that the majority of haters are like this. He refuses to eat humble pie and apologise for what is the most hated SW movie. All he has to say is "hey guys I tried to do something different and clearly you guys don't like it, I'm sorry we will try to do better", but no "it's wow what a bunch of manbabies and racists, my film is amazing". Lucasfilm have and will continue to be punished severely for this attitude.
Why should he apologise? It makes sense for Joel Schumacher to apologise for something as universally-despised as Batman and Robin, but Last Jedi isn't hated nearly as much - the response has been (and still is) more positive than negative and not without fair reason. As a result, it's very easy to think of the people who think that they are entitled to apologies for films that did not please them personally as "manbabies".

I think its going to be incredibly difficult for JJ to pick up the ashes of his original story outline and make some sort of coherent continuation/ending. Also rumours are that this wont be a trilogy, just another episode.
F*ck the ashes, then - and f*ck the rumours while we're at it.

My attitude is that I wont see it along with millions of others unless;

-KK fired
-Rian Johnston publicly admonished by Disney/Lucasfilm for his behaviour and stripped of his trilogy.
-SJW agendas are gone from these movies.
-Some sort of public acknowledgement that fans are not happy and they will strive to do better.
Then you'll never see it.

I'm hopeful for great stuff from Disney SW as I've said many times but I don't think that will start with Episode 9. Even if the film is good in a 8/10 sort of way people are so angry that they will stay away.

Sounds like those people need to watch some movies that go out of their way to promote the virtue of not giving in to one's anger.

Leaving aside whether or not TLJ even counts as nonsensical (and there are enough arguments that it isn't), it doesn't help when there's enough overlap between the "nonsense" haters and the "bigot" haters (and of their respective complaints) that it's hardly worth making the distinction.

Or it's a matter of Star Wars evolving to fit the times and being more direct in reflecting its overall progressive/anti-fascist sentiments than the vague-enough-to-seem-generic originals. Positing that it's meant to be "fun escapism" and nothing else sounds like an ideological cop-out more than anything else (speaking of ideological cop-outs, the fact that the writer calls Lando pansexual only to not bother explicitly indicating that in the film proper is bad because it just sounds like an empty promise that's more likely to anger your average "SJW" than be appreciated by them).
People are simply tired of SJWs and don't want to be bashed over the head with it in movies, especially not beloved franchises.

If it means that your post now ends in "Last edited by Yoda", then yeah, chances are you may have crossed a line there.
I crossed a forum rule and apologised to Yoda for it, whether I crossed a line is debateable.

Why should he apologise? It makes sense for Joel Schumacher to apologise for something as universally-despised as Batman and Robin, but Last Jedi isn't hated nearly as much - the response has been (and still is) more positive than negative and not without fair reason. As a result, it's very easy to think of the people who think that they are entitled to apologies for films that did not please them personally as "manbabies".

Do you have evidence to back up this claim that the response to TLJ has been more positive than negative?

Again covering old ground but somewhere like RT only 46% of the audience like it, that's about 200'000 user reviews. about 30,000 less scores than TFA which indicates there weren't bots giving it loads of negative scores.

You even have RT coming out saying "No are audience scores haven't been tampered with".https://theplaylist.net/rotten-tomat...jedi-20171222/

If you can point to somewhere that gives TLJ a positive score in terms of high numbers (thousands) of user rating I would be happy to look at that.

So when you cause that much damage to the franchise as Rian has, and those supposed to be overseeing him YES you could have a little humility about it. Not sure if name calling and condescension against legitimate complaints has ever worked out well in business.

Then you'll never see it.
I will out of curiosity but not in a way that gives them any £££.

People are simply tired of SJWs and don't want to be bashed over the head with it in movies, especially not beloved franchises.
Or they don't like the reminder that people other than white guys like the franchise and get to be the heroes for a change.

I crossed a forum rule and apologised to Yoda for it, whether I crossed a line is debateable.
If you don't want to get lumped in with the sexist haters then maybe don't call the woman in charge "****". There's a correlation there that you should probably be aware of.

Do you have evidence to back up this claim that the response to TLJ has been more positive than negative?

Again covering old ground but somewhere like RT only 46% of the audience like it, that's about 200'000 user reviews. about 30,000 less scores than TFA which indicates there weren't bots giving it loads of negative scores.

You even have RT coming out saying "No are audience scores haven't been tampered with".https://theplaylist.net/rotten-tomat...jedi-20171222/

If you can point to somewhere that gives TLJ a positive score in terms of high numbers (thousands) of user rating I would be happy to look at that.

So when you cause that much damage to the franchise as Rian has, and those supposed to be overseeing him YES you could have a little humility about it. Not sure if name calling and condescension against legitimate complaints has ever worked out well in business.
If that's all it takes, then IMDb still has it at a weighted average of 7.3/10 based off approximately 400,000 ratings (79.6% of which rate it at least a 6). Like I said before, people liked it more often than not (and I compared it against the genuinely widespread hatred of Batman and Robin to really put it into perspective). It's not like you're questioning how legitimate these complaints are anyway.

I will out of curiosity but not in a way that gives them any £££.
Planning a holiday?

Or they don't like the reminder that people other than white guys like the franchise and get to be the heroes for a change.
You sound just like Rian Johnson. Virtually no one was complaining about Rey or Finn back in the Force Awakens. Are you saying everyone just became rascist/sexist in between? It's a huge copout and you know it.

If you don't want to get lumped in with the sexist haters then maybe don't call the woman in charge "****". There's a correlation there that you should probably be aware of.
Lump me in with whoever you want but it wont make it true.

If that's all it takes, then IMDb still has it at a weighted average of 7.3/10 based off approximately 400,000 ratings (79.6% of which rate it at least a 6). Like I said before, people liked it more often than not (and I compared it against the genuinely widespread hatred of Batman and Robin to really put it into perspective). It's not like you're questioning how legitimate these complaints are anyway.
Can't speak for the IMDB score, but Meta and RT have the audience giving it a 45-46% score. The $$$ numbers don't lie anyway, $2 billion for TFA, only $1.3 for TLJ, followed by a desperate $300m something for Solo. How bad will Ep 9 be? We can only guess.

Compare that to Avengers, $1.5 billion for first one, Age of Ultron much less well received but it still did $1.4 very little difference, now doing great things with Infinity War $2 billion.

You sound just like Rian Johnson. Virtually no one was complaining about Rey or Finn back in the Force Awakens. Are you saying everyone just became rascist/sexist in between? It's a huge copout and you know it.
But not literally no one. As with TLJ, a vocal minority blew things out of proportion (did you completely miss out on the "Rey is a Mary Sue" discourse or what) and tried staging their own boycotts, then tried again when Rogue One did the same "heroes are women and/or people of colour" thing that continued and escalated with TLJ. What I'm saying is that there were always racist/sexist people who hated new Star Wars and they've only gotten worse with the passage of time and general deterioration of online discourse. If you've somehow missed all that in favour of focusing on SJWs or Johnson or whoever else, ask yourself why.

Lump me in with whoever you want but it wont make it true.
Keep telling yourself that.

Can't speak for the IMDB score, but Meta and RT have the audience giving it a 45-46% score. The $$$ numbers don't lie anyway, $2 billion for TFA, only $1.3 for TLJ, followed by a desperate $300m something for Solo. How bad will Ep 9 be? We can only guess.

Compare that to Avengers, $1.5 billion for first one, Age of Ultron much less well received but it still did $1.4 very little difference, now doing great things with Infinity War $2 billion..
You asked for a user score that indicated a positive response, I gave you one. Box-office gross only matters so much in determining a film's quality or even popularity anyway. TFA was always going to be so huge that a follow-up would struggle to match its gross and $1.3b is hardly indicative of a franchise-ruining flop (much less the $300m from Solo).

lol @ people complaining about 'SJW' politics in a film franchise about violent, antifascist uprising against an authoritarian fascist government with heavy visual influences for the villains from nazi propaganda films that was heavily inspired by the original creators attitudes toward (or I guess more accurately, against) the Vietnam War.

Star Wars is and has always been deeply political (and more specifically very left-wing politically).

So tired of people talking about Box Office its like its the only thing that matters in todays films. I am ok with films making much less money but still breaking even but being a good movie means more to be then box office. Look at Empire and Return of The Jedi while both made much less money most would agree that they are better then A New Hope. While they are still big films they still didnt make no where near Phantom Menace money. Which is the real measuring stick because new star wars has lot more inflation. While Solo flopped I still value it as good film and probably better then episode 7 and 8. Its pretty clear the Stand Alone films were meant for fans while the New Episode were to push whatever agenda Kennedy wanted with the female movement.

Now its is clear that Star Wars always had strong female characters. Rey was very disliked because apparently Jedi cant have strong female jedi other then in cartoons with Ahsoka